Ilkay Gundogan

NishC300

On Kroos not controlling enough games,Just ask any Bayern fan and He'll tell you how important Kroos has been to their possession based game.Bastian has been injured most of the season and Thiago has also struggled with injuries while Martinez has not played a lot this season in midfield.Bayern are at the top of the league because Kroos and Lahm have controlled and dictated the midfield in pretty much every game.

I know he was a very important figure this season, but he havent done it without Bastian/Thiago in a big game, i havent seen a real big DLP preformence from him in a big game yet, while i saw Gundogan. It doesnt mean he cant its just he havent played this role (a single DLP) enough, and if he'll come here he will play in a 4-2-3-1 besides Matic.

I dont know if Kroos is a better passer or has better vision, but they are both great in it so i dont think its a "thing" to consider.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad that sarcasm sensor screw is still on.. :Goober:

But in all honesty, comparing Matic to Gundogan is absolutely ridiculous. I doubt he ever saw him play!

Matic is like Yaya Toure in his Barcelona spell, while Gundogan feels a lot like Lampard in its early days. Do you have any idea of how crazy it sounds if I posted Lampard and Toure were the same type of players or had very similar characteristics?

It just proves some members love to talk about things they dont know...

EDIT: And this is not even a one time case. Didierforever, especifically, is an excellent contributor to the forums, but it is more and more common to see people posting absurd opinions in the football threads now. It seems like they dont even watch football anymore, they only play FIFA and then come here to post shit!

Let us for a moment put aside his injury and think of him as the player he was before his back became problematic, and the needs of our current team.

A large problem this season has been the lack of delivery from midfield.
Ramires is excellent at driving forward, but often that is not what we need during a counter-attack (a quick accurate pass to someone in a more advanced position is much more effective, he can come as a second wave instead). He leaves a lot to be desired in his overall passing as well.

Mikel might be good at getting the boll forward in Nigeria, but he has not exactly been doing it in Chelsea, which is what matters here. His passing might be more accurate than Ramires's, but it is lacking in the offensive department. Besides, we rarely see Mikel go with the ball higher up the pitch (I know it comes with his position, but Matic has been able to provide more both in the defense and the offense) which means he can not influence the game against packed defenses as well as one might like.

Lampard is harder to put a finger on. He tries very hard but I feel he does simply not have the mentality for finding a good balance between defending and attacking, it is not in his nature. I also find he is often guilty at holding on to the ball for too long which means he loses it in the midfield.

Matic is on the other hand a natural at what he does. He does not exclusively sit back and stop attacks but adds to the pressing game higher up in the pitch. He tackles, intercepts and heads the ball to us while at the same time offering a slightly more advanced passing option.
He is a player that is capable both in the offensive and defensive duties of a central midfielder, but much better at the second one.

With that being said, we now need a complement to Matic. A player who can provide more in the offensive than in the defensive but who can still play a role in the back.
A player that can offload the responsibility from Oscar of getting deep in order to gather the ball and start an attack.
When Oscar goes deep we are already decimated as the central midfielders sit deep enough to not be a part of the initial phase of the attack while one of our attacking midfielders need to start from a withdrawn position.
Signing a player such as Gundogan would not only remove this problem, but turn it into a strenght. Instead of having a first phase of an attack that includes (usually) Hazard, Willian & Eto'o with the rest playing catch-up, we would from the start have Hazard, Willian, Eto'o, Oscar & Gundogan in the first phase. That means having two more attacking players in the initial phase of the attack (assuming Gundogan gathers the ball deep and carries it forward [with the passing help of Matic]).
Over a season this is likely to lead to several goals.

The worry might be that it offers too little protection to the back, but with five players remaning somewhat behind it still offers a solid defense that can deal with most problems (I assume the full backs will not be too advanced).

That, and the fact that Gundogan only has one year left of his contract, is a very strong reason to look into the possibility of carrying through with the purchase.

A lineup (yes, I went there) like this would be very, very strong but also balanced (with two very quick fullbacks):

Costa
Hazard -Oscar - Willian
Matic - Gundogan
Shaw - Terry - Cahill - Azpilicueta
Courtois

Ilkay Gündogan provides defensive and offensive abilities. And while he doesn't win you games like hazard or willian, contrary to those two he wins you titles. He's resistant to pressing and his technical abilities (not in the neymar sense of the meaning) are top notch. He's not as much of a goal threat, but not many central midfielder are in their early 20s. But he's already starting to show that he can score goals. Look at the Supercup Game against bayern (one of his two goals was an absolute beauty). He has balls of steel (took the penalty in a fcking CL final).

If he gets his pre-injury form back, he'd be the only player next to cech who'd always play. He's in his last year of his contract and we'd get him for something like 20-30M. There is the risk of his back injury, but we have paid more for far lesser players. If he comes through it's going to be a bargain. I'd rather we waste 30M on him than seeing him at any other PL side. Real and Barca are interested as well, that shows you that this guy is special.

• 1 month later...

LEAVE DORTMUND ALONE! Reus needs to stay, Hummels, Gundogan, Pizeck, Mhkityryan, Bender, etc. They're good together, I'd hate to see them broken up even more:/

Okay ..

Guys :

Leave the players Together.. take Klopp!

Wise move from him. Gives himself a year to recover to his best and prove to everyone that he's over his injury problems.

Problem is Mou is going to want to have his squad ready by September, and then go quiet in the transfer windows. By next summer we might not have a use for Gundogan, we either take the risk and sign him now or move on and find someone else.

Okay ..

Guys :

Leave the players Together.. take Klopp!

JqrBv.gif

LEAVE DORTMUND ALONE! Reus needs to stay, Hummels, Gundogan, Pizeck, Mhkityryan, Bender, etc. They're good together, I'd hate to see them broken up even more:/

Dortmund < Chelsea for me. I don't care if their players are broken up if it benefits us

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You