César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

We have a lot of crunch fixtures coming up, so I doubt Azpilicueta is going to get game time as an RB any time soon...Bertrand has also been filling in quite well at LB, so there's that position ruled out as well.

He probably has a chance of starting the Carling cup game against Arsenal depending on how much priority Jose gives that game, and I think it will be high priority for him.

Definitely not the best time for him to be in the squad, with him still fighting for a spot in his national side as well.

Its unfair on Cesar, but I agree with Jose keeping Ivanovic in defense for most matches. You need good defenders who start in almost every match just to maintain that consistency. Plus, Ivanovic offers the opportunity to go three at the back, when we are chasing the game.

We have a lot of crunch fixtures coming up, so I doubt Azpilicueta is going to get game time as an RB any time soon...Bertrand has also been filling in quite well at LB, so there's that position ruled out as well.

He probably has a chance of starting the Carling cup game against Arsenal depending on how much priority Jose gives that game, and I think it will be high priority for him.

Definitely not the best time for him to be in the squad, with him still fighting for a spot in his national side as well.

Its unfair on Cesar, but I agree with Jose keeping Ivanovic in defense for most matches. You need good defenders who start in almost every match just to maintain that consistency. Plus, Ivanovic offers the opportunity to go three at the back, when we are chasing the game.

Think Azpi will play against Arsenal. Ivanovic will play against City next Sunday and it's impossible that Mourinho will play him again just 2 days later at the Emirates.

Can't see that being too high a priority given the fixture schedule. Jose will play a 2nd string at The Emirates, even if that means losing his unbeaten record against Wenger.

Can't see that being too high a priority given the fixture schedule. Jose will play a 2nd string at The Emirates, even if that means losing his unbeaten record against Wenger.

Wenger's likely to play a second string too, so that record should still be safe :D

Azpi has been brilliant. Iva is a fucking joke at RB, he can't cross for fuck all sake and should be second choice at RB for Azpi. Dave being second choice at RB for Iva has to come up second to Lukaku being loaned out. Jeez

Playing right-back is more than just about crossing, and I seem to recall people on here being quite harsh about Azpi's balls into the box last season.

Once again a player is becoming world-class simply by not playing very much. Ivanovic has been one of our key players this season yet people want Dani Alves....sorry Azpi, to play because he crosses better (even though it was an area of concern just 5 months ago).

Absence makes the heart grow fonder ,schoolboy error ,Azpi needs to do much better than he did in the Europa Final and when Luke Shaw destroyed him at Stamford Bridge ,when he gets a chance like everybody else at the club he needs to take it . All he has shown me so far is that he needs to get his head down and improve if he wants to play for Chelsea. Ivan has that spot nailed down at the moment ,he has done enough to get away with one bad performance after international week ,but the same as our other top players like Rammy who flew back ,he needs to learn how to perform better after playing for his country.

Azpi has been brilliant. Iva is a fucking joke at RB, he can't cross for fuck all sake and should be second choice at RB for Azpi. Dave being second choice at RB for Iva has to come up second to Lukaku being loaned out. Jeez

As TOPTB has alluded to, I'm not sure if Azpilicueta's crossing is better than Ivanovic's, maybe marginally better but not much. Having said that, I do agree with the notion that Azpi is a much better RB than Ivanovic is. If anything, the latter is generally good defensively as FB like Cole on the other side BUT Azpi can match that, if not better it, and provide a much progressive attacking play than Ivanovic. As seen quite a lot of times last season, Azpi moves the ball quicker, links up better with the wide players in front (similar to Bertrand and Hazard for instance on the left flank) and certainly has more variation in his attacking play than Ivanovic. And not to mention, Azpi certainly gets to the byline more often and has a left foot to work with if can't do anything with the right!

The right back position has been a weak link for years with us for all that is good with Ivanavic every time he goes pass the halfway line i fear we will be caught out of position down the right side ,with Azpi i dont get that as much. Even would like to see him on the right side of midfield !

As TOPTB has alluded to, I'm not sure if Azpilicueta's crossing is better than Ivanovic's, maybe marginally better but not much. Having said that, I do agree with the notion that Azpi is a much better RB than Ivanovic is. If anything, the latter is generally good defensively as FB like Cole on the other side BUT Azpi can match that, if not better it, and provide a much progressive attacking play than Ivanovic. As seen quite a lot of times last season, Azpi moves the ball quicker, links up better with the wide players in front (similar to Bertrand and Hazard for instance on the left flank) and certainly has more variation in his attacking play than Ivanovic. And not to mention, Azpi certainly gets to the byline more often and has a left foot to work with if can't do anything with the right!

I think one of the main reasons why Jose prefers to start with Ivanovic, is that he can go 3 at the back (when needed) without bringing on an extra sub.

Ivanovic who helped us win the double at right back? Ivanovic who got in the team of the year from the same position?

This notion/myth that he is a shit right back just because he started at centre half is laughable and Azpilicueta wasn't as good last season as general opinion suggest's, he had a decent first season but is a long way from being as good as people already think he is.

Ivanovic who helped us win the double at right back? Ivanovic who got in the team of the year from the same position?

This notion/myth that he is a shit right back just because he started at centre half is laughable and

Yes, Ivanovic was good back then but just because it was so, that doesn't mean he has been at this time.

Azpilicueta wasn't as good last season as general opinion suggest's, he had a decent first season but is a long way from being as good as people already think he is.

I don't think anyone has exactly over-exaggerate his capabilities as a RB but rather judged on him merit and Azpi has shown last season that he can match Ivanovic at RB and in fact, better him in the role.

I think one of the main reasons why Jose prefers to start with Ivanovic, is that he can go 3 at the back (when needed) without bringing on an extra sub.

That's rather tragic. It's like as long as Mourinho remains our manager, we will see makeshift CB playing in a FB position...

I don't think anyone has exactly over-exaggerate his capabilities as a RB but rather judged on him merit and Azpi has shown last season that he can match Ivanovic at RB and in fact, better him in the role.

Fair point, but i do feel he is still a way from being a right back and i do believe Ivanovic is still better in that position than general opinion suggest's.

That's rather tragic. It's like as long as Mourinho remains our manager, we will see makeshift CB playing in a FB position...

For as long as Mourinho is here, we will get more results than we would any other manager, so i can live with a change that goes against my preference (not that this one does).

I always have preferred Ivan as a full back, he may have started as a centre back, but like Carragher said, no one starts out as a fullback, they end up there by hook or by crook.

Fair point, but i do feel he is still a way from being a right back and i do believe Ivanovic is still better in that position than general opinion suggest's.

Each to their own I suppose but Ivanovic has definitely shown his deficiencies when playing at RB. Just that it hasn't really got exposed yet this season..

For as long as Mourinho is here, we will get more results than we would any other manager, so i can live with a change that goes against my preference (not that this one does).

That indeed does seem to be consensus these days. Because it's Mourinho, people are like excusing and trying to justifying everything he does, even if it's not right, and yet if any other manager had made the decisions he had done, people would be lambasting him.

Each to their own I suppose but Ivanovic has definitely shown his deficiencies when playing at RB. Just that it hasn't really got exposed yet this season..

That indeed does seem to be consensus these days. Because it's Mourinho, people are like excusing and trying to justifying everything he does, even if it's not right, and yet if any other manager had made the decisions he had done, people would be lambasting him.

He defiantly isn't perfect, but i do feel he is better at right back than he is given credit for.

I think it's more Mourinho's history with success more than his history with the club that means he is given more leeway by supporters, im sure if we had Fergie or Pep they would get similar leeway because they are also serial winners.