César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

But Azpi is a much better defender. Maybe Wallace will the be the RB that can both defend and attack.

Before we even start talking about Wallace at RB, let's not make it as if Azpi is completely useless offensively just because he can't put in good crosses consistently. With him in the team, he is able to offer so much more than Ivanovic and Bosingwa at RB. He is solid defensively and good going forward. Knows when to create overlapping situations, time his runs going forward, quick in getting crosses in when needed(not like Ivanovic/Bosingwa who takes one touch too many before crossing the ball) not just limited to only know how to cross with his right foot. Azpi has showed that he's capable of crossing with his left foot when needed(i.e. see assist for Hazard goal vs West Brom) and more than capable of picking out incisive passes with it too(i.e cut back pass for Hazard goal vs Wigan).

Yes, I agree that he does need to improve on his crossing and be more consistent with it but he has showed that he's good enough to put good crosses in - look at cross for Torres(vs Villa) and even the one for Mata that led to him scoring against Arsenal at the Bridge. It's just a matter of gaining that consistency and if anything, he's not as frustrating as Bosingwa previously, Ivanovic at RB and heck, even Cole! As mentioned above, Bosingwa and Ivanovic usually take ages before putting a cross in and by the time they put one it, the opposition are already back in place to deal with it easily. And Cole hardly even cross the ball on the left flank these days!

Azpilicueta is certainly better than Bosingwa, but he was one of our worst players against ManU. He was caught badly out of position about 3 times forcing Moses to make a couple of key tackles (including the foul that led to the Rooney goal).He's had a very good first season with Chelsea but he does have room to grow. Azpilicueta and Ivanovic are as good a RB duo as there is in the Premier League (except perhaps Zabaleta and Walker and Maicon) so it's not an area of concern.

Before we even start talking about Wallace at RB, let's not make it as if Azpi is completely useless offensively just because he can't put in good crosses consistently. With him in the team, he is able to offer so much more than Ivanovic and Bosingwa at RB. He is solid defensively and good going forward. Knows when to create overlapping situations, time his runs going forward, quick in getting crosses in when needed(not like Ivanovic/Bosingwa who takes one touch too many before crossing the ball) not just limited to only know how to cross with his right foot. Azpi has showed that he's capable of crossing with his left foot when needed(i.e. see assist for Hazard goal vs West Brom) and more than capable of picking out incisive passes with it too(i.e cut back pass for Hazard goal vs Wigan).

Yes, I agree that he does need to improve on his crossing and be more consistent with it but he has showed that he's good enough to put good crosses in - look at cross for Torres(vs Villa) and even the one for Mata that led to him scoring against Arsenal at the Bridge. It's just a matter of gaining that consistency and if anything, he's not as frustrating as Bosingwa previously, Ivanovic at RB and heck, even Cole! As mentioned above, Bosingwa and Ivanovic usually take ages before putting a cross in and by the time they put one it, the opposition are already back in place to deal with it easily. And Cole hardly even cross the ball on the left flank these days!

Don't get me wrong, I like Azpi. He's a very solid player and has done well this season. Despite his hit or miss crossing he's a very solid passer in open play. Look at the pass he made to Mata in the build up to Hazard's goal on Sunday, it was a lovely disguised pass that Ivanovic would never even attempt let alone pull off. Azpi is only 23 years old so he will continue to get better and hopefully he will have a long and successful Chelsea career.

I just mention Wallace because he's the latest in a line of right-backs. He is supposedly a good attacking fullback so if we can develop his defensive ability then he will be a serious option long-term.

For me the only thing i can see is that Azpi is only going to get better, it was always going to take him a period of time to adjust from playing French League football to adapting to the speed and more physical aspects of the English game. He's doing a good job, we're all far to quick to criticize and unwilling to dish out praise when its warranted. He's still bedding in, judge him at the end of next season, regardless of our love of seeing Brana at RB or Wallace coming in.

Don't get me wrong, I like Azpi. He's a very solid player and has done well this season. Despite his hit or miss crossing he's a very solid passer in open play. Look at the pass he made to Mata in the build up to Hazard's goal on Sunday, it was a lovely disguised pass that Ivanovic would never even attempt let alone pull off. Azpi is only 23 years old so he will continue to get better and hopefully he will have a long and successful Chelsea career.

I just mention Wallace because he's the latest in a line of right-backs. He is supposedly a good attacking fullback so if we can develop his defensive ability then he will be a serious option long-term.

Who knows..if Wallace develops properly, he could be similar to United's Rafael..

Anyway, I don't think we'll see Wallace playing for Chelsea for at least another 3-4 seasons..

Who knows..if Wallace develops properly, he could be similar to United's Rafael..

please not... Rafael is only playing for Utd cos they do not have any other players for that position who aren't shite too atm.

Apparently the art of crossing precisely is somehow gone lost. The quality of crosses in Europe's top competition actually does not differ too much from the amateur leagues in Germany. We have similar completion rates here and just as often as Alves, Arbeloa, zabaleta & Co hack every third cross into the opposing sideline. The only right back who actually puts in crosses consistently is Philipp Lahm, only that he seldom has to gu up the pitch these times. He still is overrated.