The General Football Thread

Melanicus

• 2 months later...

Geezer died apparently -I reckon its the bloke at two minutes. I mean why keep kicking someones head ??

Not mentally well people, that's who. The lack of respect for human life worries me in this day and age.

Makes me sick.

Not mentally well people, that's who. The lack of respect for human life worries me in this day and age.

Makes me sick.

The slowness of the cops to try and put a stop to it is a bit of a worry, what with the World cup coming up n all

The slowness of the cops to try and put a stop to it is a bit of a worry, what with the World cup coming up n all

It is a worry for the people of Brazil, not for whom is travelling to the World Cup...

Those types of events are absolutely horrible and show a lot of what is wrong with Brazilian football, but to link them with the World Cup is very naive!

I dont want to prolong myself much, but for you to have a perspective, the price of the cheapest World Cup ticket is five times higher than the average price those animals payed. You guys talk a lot about how the vibrant English fans were priced out and how it changed the charecterictis of the fans who go to games regularly. So, it is the same thing. The social class that will watching the games in 2014 is totally different than those who produce such shameful fights (or more like wars).

When you analyse a country with such inequality like Brazil, it is like there are two different countries inside one. This video shows one Brazil, and the one the tourists will experience is a whole lot different. Things the population dont necessarilly have (like safety, transport, etc) will all be present during the tournament. Whoever comes here for the World Cup will have police, doctors, guides, state of the art facilities, infra-structure, etc.

It will be exactly like South Africa, people will be able to see poverty and there will be dangerous places, etc. But in the main attractions and games, things will (probably) run perfectly...

I actually didnt know there was a "General Football Thread" (lol), but as soon as it happened I posted on the "Brazilian NT Thread" saying that it has reached a point you cant even take your family to watch football on a Sunday afternoon. Pathetic really!

The only thing that gives me a little bit of hope (very little, only a tiny bit) is that this was a chain of messed up events. Atletico Paranaense is using a second tier stadium in an unprepared small city due to the renovations for the World Cup, the police was prevented from entering the stadium due to an exclusivity contract form a very badly trained private security, the two hooligan groups had already been punished because of fights earlier in the season, it was the last week of the league with one of the teams facing relegation, etc. The two clubs were asking for it to be quite honest. Events like that are unlikely to reoccur, specially with the modernization that is going on right now...

However, I am still very skeptical, those scenes are absolutely surreal and it is hard to find something positive coming out of my country atm. It is true that things are improving and I do try very hard to have hope, but it is depressing.

I am just glad nobody died!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

THIS is what I've been up to tonight. It was the second leg of the Romanian Cup semifinal, between the two biggest teams in the country: Dinamo Bucharest and Steaua Bucharest. In the first leg, Steaua won by 5-2. Even though, the Dinamo fans from the Catalin Hildan End (I am a season ticket holder there) prepared something unique in the history of the Romanian football. You can see it in the video.PCH means Peluza Catalin Hildan (Catalin Hildan End), while FCD are the initials for Football Club Dinamo. The message of the choreography was "In the symphonies of the stadiums we were always the composers, you(Steaua fans) just watch as spectators" I don't mean to brag, I just thought that some might like to see this. The game ended 1-1, by the way.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...