Eden Hazard

the wes

With all the talk on his finishing and goal-scoring, you almost forget about his assist totals though.

He managed 20 assists in 49 starts for Chelsea in 12-13. Very impressive numbers, especially considering it was his debut season. It wasn't Chelsea's best season either.

He only managed 9 assists in 45 starts in the following season though. And this season he's on 2 assists in 15 starts.

(Stats from ESPN, very legit)

So he's been quite disappointing when it comes to assists for a while now. I'm quite surprised actually, thought he did better. I know he 'created the most chances in Europe' or something like that last season, probably up there somewhere this season as well, but they don't seem to be that clear-cut. You could point at the finishing but Chels isn't the only team with dodgy finishing and the finishing wasn't any better in 12-13. It's quite bizarre really.

12-13 nos. will have been padded to an extent with all the deep cup runs against average opposition we encountered that season (2 x Nordsjaelland, Europa, LC semis, FA semis and Monterrey). We were more defensive last season and he also missed a few weeks from injury towards the end. I don't look at assists because they're difficult to draw conclusions from. More pertinent parameters for the numbers would be chances created or key passes. Use sqawka or whoscored, not ESPN.

12-13 nos. will have been padded to an extent with all the deep cup runs against average opposition we encountered that season (2 x Nordsjaelland, Europa, LC semis, FA semis and Monterrey). We were more defensive last season and he also missed a few weeks from injury towards the end. I don't look at assists because they're difficult to draw conclusions from. More pertinent parameters for the numbers would be chances created or key passes. Use sqawka or whoscored, not ESPN.

I wasn't looking at his assists to judge his creativity or anything. I'm just talking about his assists. And it's been quite low for a long time now, 11 assists in his last 60 starts. That's a lot lower than other top wingers/attacking midfielders. I find it very surprising.

Btw, Oscar has 8 assists in his last 51 starts. Also far from impressive.

EDIT: Cesc is on 11 assists (15 starts), and that's just this season.

When Ronaldo moved to united his goal scoring record was quite average

1st season 6 from 40

2nd season 9 from 50

3rd season 12 from 47

Yes he was a bit younger than Hazard at that time but looking at his goal ratio now proves the instinct for goal scoring can be learnt.

and when he was at united it was not great, 17 goals or something like that , like Hazard , just one season he scored 31 in bpl and he won the ballon d'or but before 24 he was not great

When Cristiano won the Ballon d'Or it was because of the great season in 2007/2008 (Man United won at least the Champions League and the Premier League), Cristiano scored 31 goals s and did 7 assists in the Premier League (in all the season he scored 42 goals in 49 games). Cristiano in that season was 1 year younger than Hazard is today.

In the season before (2006/2007) Cristiano scored 17 goals in the Premier League (23 in the season) and did also 13 assists in the Premier (19 in the season)

There is no posible comparison between the 2.In 2008/2009 Crsitiano had an injury in the begining of the season that caused him a lot of problems. ANyway... with 18 goals he was the second best scorer of the Premier Legue one goal behind Henry.

Doing dribbles in the midfield is realy cool... but it's better if you socre goals and do assists because that's the objective of the game.

you said with 18 goals he was the second best scorer of that season and now you has to score 60 or 70. sad period and in this period hazard should have been the best or one of the best in the world

I'm not sure where this requirement for him to score goals comes from?

He's a creative player - I judge him on how he creates chances for others

Yes I have been harsh on him in the past but this season he has stepped up mentally! Gone are the days of disinterest (which wound me up) - I like his career progression, now he has a handle on the 'mental toughness / winning desire' he will keep progressing.

I think he'll end scoring more and more consistently as he matures - experience will give him the composure to know when to pass and when to shoot - at the minute it's still a little sporadic - but the best thing about that is that HE is getting into those positions.

A look at both OSCAR and HAZARD under Mourinho will tell you what has been achieved in just one season! Give it another 2-3 seasons with MOURINHO mentoring these lads and we will have a very special team.

My biggest complaint for years is that we have lost the winning mentality - it's being forged right here, right now - some players are stepping up, some aren't - that's life, but Eden and OSCAR are definitely stepping up!

I think we all need to be realistic that this (scarily) isn't yet the finished article and could currently be around 75% complete - If he pushes on and keeps developing he could be unplayable in a few seasons.

Costa is the goal man - let him take that pressure for now, let Eden focus on developing and continuing the good work so far...

And next time you think about bashing him - ask yourself the question I asked myself...

"would you rather have him on your team, or be facing him?" That should answer all further questions on the topic ;)

It stems from the fact he can get to almost any area on the pitch on his own. And having witnessed him get into great areas only to put it right into the keeper one thinks if he improves his finishing he should be amongst the goals regularly.

When Ronaldo moved to united his goal scoring record was quite average

1st season 6 from 40

2nd season 9 from 50

3rd season 12 from 47

Yes he was a bit younger than Hazard at that time but looking at his goal ratio now proves the instinct for goal scoring can be learnt.

That's not a very good comparison though.