test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

30. David Luiz

Started by BlueLion.,

7,954 posts in this topic

For David Luiz and Chelsea, Everything’s Perfect. Until Suddenly It’s Not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/sports/soccer/chelsea-liverpool-premier-league.html

LONDON — Muttering under his breath, shaking his head in regret, David Luiz was the last player to disappear from the field. He had taken his time after the final whistle. As Liverpool’s players went over to celebrate with their fans, and as his Chelsea teammates trudged disconsolately toward the tunnel, Luiz lingered.

He stripped off his jersey. He bestowed a few handshakes on eager young fans reaching their arms out for him to brush. He made sure to wave to almost every corner of the stadium; only that pocket of jubilant Liverpool supporters avoided his gaze. Only when his tour of duty was complete did he depart, frustration etched on his face.

In that, he mirrored those fans streaming out of the stadium. Until the 89th minute, Chelsea had seemed destined for a victory that would have moved Maurizio Sarri’s team — which he acknowledges is a work in progress — above Liverpool in the Premier League standings, to a share of the lead, separated from Manchester City only by goal difference.

It had been a game of fine margins, not quite one of those wild rides the Premier League imagines is its calling card, but a high-speed, high-caliber occasion, the first meeting of genuine peers in the early season. The difference, the only difference, was that Chelsea had taken its chance — a move started energetically and finished exquisitely by Eden Hazard, midway through the first half — where Liverpool, on half a dozen occasions, had not.

That had, in no small part, been Luiz’s doing. Not simply because he had appeared, at the last moment, to stop a header from Roberto Firmino that would have drawn Liverpool even, but because he had produced a performance of precision and poise, control and concentration, to keep the visitors’ forward line at bay. Liverpool, of course, boasts the most expensive defender in the world, the similarly impeccable Virgil van Dijk. Luiz’s display was a reminder as to why, until last January, he had held that title.

There was nothing he might have done — nothing anyone might have done, really — about the goal that salvaged a point for Liverpool, that sent that corner of red dancing into the night.

Daniel Sturridge, on the field for only four minutes, picked up the ball outside Chelsea’s penalty area, glanced up and lifted a swerving, dipping shot beyond the reach of Kepa Arrizabalaga for the draw. Its brilliance offered little solace to Luiz, or to his teammates.

The goal capped what has been an unlikely renaissance for Sturridge. This summer, his Liverpool career appeared to be at an end. He had been sent out on loan to West Bromwich Albion last January, in desperate search of playing time in a vain hope of forcing his way onto England’s World Cup squad. He played six times. He did not score. West Brom was relegated.

snip

much more at the link

DYC. likes this

More ball watching today for the Palace goal, totally unaware of the runner behind him. Although he had good moments in the match all that is undone by one thing. Scary that somebody who is in his 30s can still get done by ballwatching so easily. It is a shame because it happens a lot and will cost us eventually. 

Vesper and the wes like this

Gets way too much shit. Mistakes are overblown and he is always under a microscope. Very good defender, who like any defender makes a mistake or two.

There is a reason he has won everything there is to win. There is a reason he was in the world 11. There is a reason he was the most expensive at his position.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dazzy_Vance likes this

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Gets way too much shit. Mistakes are overblown and he is always under a microscope. Very good defender, who like any defender makes a mistake or two.

There is a reason he has won everything there is to win. There is a reason he was in the world 11. There is a reason he was the most expensive at his position.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Won everything there is to win?

Remembering Brazil 1-7 Germany, a ghost that still haunts the Seleção today

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/brazil-germany-2014-rematch-2018-world-cup-tite-neymar-sane-a8276136.html

David-Luiz-crying.jpg

On 11/5/2018 at 7:47 AM, Vesper said:

Won everything there is to win?

Remembering Brazil 1-7 Germany, a ghost that still haunts the Seleção today

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/brazil-germany-2014-rematch-2018-world-cup-tite-neymar-sane-a8276136.html

David-Luiz-crying.jpg

Luiz was pretty shocking in that game... but Fernandinho was shocking in that midfield (which got overrun by germany), and was shocking too against Belgium in the last WC.

Considering Brazil only got to that final against Germany because playing at home, neymar, and a fantastic goal by luiz himself in the semis, I've always felt he gets underservely singled out for what was a terrible and disgraceful overall team performance. BTW, Evertonian Bernard started on the right wing, which makes the final score more about the coach (scolari) than anything else. :) 

27 minutes ago, Robguima said:

Luiz was pretty shocking in that game... but Fernandinho was shocking in that midfield (which got overrun by germany), and was shocking too against Belgium in the last WC.

Considering Brazil only got to that final against Germany because playing at home, neymar, and a fantastic goal by luiz himself in the semis, I've always felt he gets underservely singled out for what was a terrible and disgraceful overall team performance. BTW, Evertonian Bernard started on the right wing, which makes the final score more about the coach (scolari) than anything else. :) 

It wasn't the final

Germany beat Argentina in the final 1 nil on Mario Götze's goal set up by our very own André Schürrle.

Brasil went on to get crushed in the 3rd place game 3 nil by the Netherlands.

It wasnt all on Luiz, never claimed that, but he was a huge FAIL.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

It wasn't the final

Germany beat Argentina in the final 1 nil on Mario Götze's goal set up by our very own André Schürrle.

Brasil went on to get crushed in the 3rd place game 3 nil by the Netherlands.

It wasnt all on Luiz, never claimed that, but he was a huge FAIL.

I stand corrected, but doesn't really affect the point I was making. Netherlands were also much superior as shown in their 3rd place win.

Still Brazil only got that far due to pretty outstanding performances by Luiz. Yes he was terrible against germany, or perhaps merely his usual self.

Brazil team just wasn't good enough to have reached the semis and got found out.

Why we still have this cunt in the team? Why he is in starting line up? Conte was absolutely right to freeze Luiz last season. Completely useless player.

the wes likes this

6 minutes ago, Tautvix said:

Why we still have this cunt in the team? Why he is in starting line up? Conte was absolutely right to freeze Luiz last season. Completely useless player.

he wants a new contract too knowing our board he will get one like Alonso did 

I can't believe it's almost 2019 and we have this joke of a defender as a starter. He was average EIGHT FUCKING YEARS ago. He's so lucky he got away with so much in his career by being "the joker" with that fucking big hair. It's football not fucking prime time television! I've had enough of him. If he doesn't get dropped after this embarrassing display then I will give up on this fucking season. I'd rather see a promising mistake-prone Christensen over this load of football shite any fucking day.

Vesper likes this

Well Sarri loves him. 
I like Sarri but I don't understand why he keeps picking him. 
Same could be said about Willian

28 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Well Sarri loves him. 

I like Sarri but I don't understand why he keeps picking him. 

Cause cahill and christensen are not playing any better that's probably why sarri was wanting a CB in the summer we must started looking for a CB 

Superblue_1986 and Fernando like this

22 minutes ago, the wes said:

Cause cahill and christensen are not playing any better that's probably why sarri was wanting a CB in the summer we must started looking for a CB 

We cannot revert back to Cahill again and Christensen has regressed and it feels like he is too busy moaning in the media about game time rather than knuckling down and fighting for his place.

He has to take his chances which he simply hasn't done so far because the talent is there, we saw that last season.

At the moment I would argue, whilst raw, Ampadu is a hugely intriguing option who could grow into the centre back we need. It's whether Sarri would give him the chance.

On a side note however, the performance from Luiz today I think was his worst in a Chelsea shirt. He managed to send the rest of the backline into a complete meltdown, and his part played in the second and third goals were nothing short of embarrassing. 

Sideshow Luiz and the wes like this

This game, Tottenham, has very little to do with the back line. We just did not play well enough esp in the middle, to point fingers to the defense. Kovacic was particularly bad dunno if still not 100% fit.

if you want to single out a player, then kepa must be it. We did not have enough time to get into the game since our gk was nowhere to be found for the first two goals.

Luiz was bad, but hes kinda being scapegoated now when the problem was in front of him in the horrific display Jorginho(and Kovacic) put on in front of them. You cant keep good teams out when they overrun your midfield the way they did us.

Thor likes this

No excuses, it was a shocking performance. Pathetic for a senior player packing the experience Luiz does. If I was Cahill or Christensen, I would be knocking on the Gaffers door in the morning.

1 hour ago, Robguima said:

This game, Tottenham, has very little to do with the back line. We just did not play well enough esp in the middle, to point fingers to the defense. Kovacic was particularly bad dunno if still not 100% fit.

if you want to single out a player, then kepa must be it. We did not have enough time to get into the game since our gk was nowhere to be found for the first two goals.

Kepa could have probably done better with the first, although there have been plenty of instances where a ball is crossed in at speed and the smallest flicks are enough to deviate the ball away enough from the keeper.

I am not blaming him for the second goal though. He got completely mugged off by Luiz diving out the way of the ball. Any defender with an ounce of defensive awareness and discipline would block that shot - you wouldn't see Rudiger or Azpi doing what Luiz did. 

kellzfresh likes this

1 hour ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

Luiz was bad, but hes kinda being scapegoated now when the problem was in front of him in the horrific display Jorginho(and Kovacic) put on in front of them. You cant keep good teams out when they overrun your midfield the way they did us.

But look at his silly defending for Son's goal. What was he even trying to do?!