test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

30. David Luiz

Started by BlueLion.,

7,600 posts in this topic

The way he stood like a statue for Utd's 2nd goal and the only movement he made was away from the ball instead of trying to block it, was shocking. No desire, couple that with GC helping up Lingard at the same time and you don't have to look far why we conceded 2 soft goals.

kellzfresh likes this

Yeah he was stood still, think he might still be carrying that injury but is playing through it, or trying to. Problem is we don't have many options for that position. Zouma can't play the ball out confidently, so Terry would be the only other option for us unless Ake can be trusted there. However, this is only if Luiz is carrying an injury and needs to be rested. 

46 minutes ago, manpe said:

The way he stood like a statue for Utd's 2nd goal and the only movement he made was away from the ball instead of trying to block it, was shocking. No desire, couple that with GC helping up Lingard at the same time and you don't have to look far why we conceded 2 soft goals.

Luiz always seems to have nightmare-ish performances at Old Trafford. Maybe he is carrying an injury but yesterday wasn't the first bad performance he's had at United.

There is no Luiz of old. That whole shtick needs to fade away.

He had a bad game. That is it. No glimpse of the past or anything. After so many good, consistent performances, he had a bad one. Why? Because he is human. 

Aside from that, he is undoubtably the best CB in the league. 

The Skipper, Amblève. and Stats like this

On 16/04/2017 at 6:20 PM, Tautvix said:

In games like this you just realise Luiz is still a clown he used to be.

I think people go overboard about David in both directions. His reviews tend to suggest that he's the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. He is not either of those things. He's a normal footballer whose performance level fluctuates from game to game but, like any defender, he looks really awful when he makes mistakes. Eight great games for the remainder of the season please David.

9 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I think people go overboard about David in both directions. His reviews tend to suggest that he's the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. He is not either of those things. He's a normal footballer whose performance level fluctuates from game to game but, like any defender, he looks really awful when he makes mistakes. Eight great games for the remainder of the season please David.

agreed.

I'd not say he's that "normal" though. :P

He's a very unique CB with very unique strengths and weaknesses. He loses concentration on occasion, which has the potential to punish your side if the team cannot handle it. Hence why he works better with two other CBs or even in midfield (Jose). If your side and your coach can accommodate him in a system, he will offer a lot on the technical side, probably more than any other CB: first touch, passing (even long), and shooting. He's also pretty good in the air and pacey for a Cb which allows him to produce many interceptions.

So, If you have David on your side, you do have to make adjustments, but doing so makes him a strong asset.

His weakness in concentration and especially his style of always seeking the anticipation (interception) will always make him look worse than the others around him when things go bad, even when he's "only" just as bad (e.g. Brazil vs germany).

The french thought he was responsible for the weak defensive showing of PSG in the CL against barcelona before. It seems not much changed without him, only that now they cannot as easily blame the very composed Silva and Marquinhos. ;)

The Skipper likes this

3 hours ago, Robguima said:

agreed.

I'd not say he's that "normal" though. :P

He's a very unique CB with very unique strengths and weaknesses. He loses concentration on occasion, which has the potential to punish your side if the team cannot handle it. Hence why he works better with two other CBs or even in midfield (Jose). If your side and your coach can accommodate him in a system, he will offer a lot on the technical side, probably more than any other CB: first touch, passing (even long), and shooting. He's also pretty good in the air and pacey for a Cb which allows him to produce many interceptions.

So, If you have David on your side, you do have to make adjustments, but doing so makes him a strong asset.

His weakness in concentration and especially his style of always seeking the anticipation (interception) will always make him look worse than the others around him when things go bad, even when he's "only" just as bad (e.g. Brazil vs germany).

The french thought he was responsible for the weak defensive showing of PSG in the CL against barcelona before. It seems not much changed without him, only that now they cannot as easily blame the very composed Silva and Marquinhos. ;)

Yes, perhaps I did not express myself particularly clearly. I meant David is "normal" in the sense that his form fluctuates just like everyone else's does, and that he makes mistakes, just like everyone else. 

Peace. likes this

23 hours ago, Thor said:

There is no Luiz of old. That whole shtick needs to fade away.

He had a bad game. That is it. No glimpse of the past or anything. After so many good, consistent performances, he had a bad one. Why? Because he is human. 

Aside from that, he is undoubtably the best CB in the league. 

Not sure about best, I think Azpilicueta (I consider him a CB now) and Alderwierld are fighting for that honour. 

Agree with the rest mind. 

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not sure about best, I think Azpilicueta (I consider him a CB now) and Alderwierld are fighting for that honour. 

Agree with the rest mind. 

When Luiz was at his best, our defense was impenetrable. But since Luiz has lost form, we can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives. 

Carragher explained this extensively on Monday Night Football and it has been for a while now. I just hope Luiz isn't playing through pain or injury. 

With Luiz losing a little form at the back and Costa destroying our linkups and goalscoring upfront, it's no wonder we're struggling to win narrowly these days. 

MrExcalibur100 likes this

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

When Luiz was at his best, our defense was impenetrable. But since Luiz has lost form, we can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives. 

Carragher explained this extensively on Monday Night Football and it has been for a while now. I just hope Luiz isn't playing through pain or injury. 

With Luiz losing a little form at the back and Costa destroying our linkups and goalscoring upfront, it's no wonder we're struggling to win narrowly these days. 

Our defense was 'impenetrable' party because of the individual and collective performances of the 3 players playing center back but also the system and the fact Kante-Matic give so much infront of it. I don't think that its just David Luiz that has held the defense together like some would suggest, I would hate to imagine the team without Kante-Matic in front of it when we had that big unbeaten run because the work they did in their and the organisation as well was a huge help before teams even got in at the backline. Luiz's performances have been good, fair enough and he deserves to be in the team of the year but I feel the same as I did when we resigned him, we know he can have an absolute nightmare at times, over commit, overplay, lose focus, hes human fair enough and can make mistakes but hes still not much better than he was when we he left for PSG 2 or 3 years ago.  

34 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Our defense was 'impenetrable' party because of the individual and collective performances of the 3 players playing center back but also the system and the fact Kante-Matic give so much infront of it. I don't think that its just David Luiz that has held the defense together like some would suggest, I would hate to imagine the team without Kante-Matic in front of it when we had that big unbeaten run because the work they did in their and the organisation as well was a huge help before teams even got in at the backline. Luiz's performances have been good, fair enough and he deserves to be in the team of the year but I feel the same as I did when we resigned him, we know he can have an absolute nightmare at times, over commit, overplay, lose focus, hes human fair enough and can make mistakes but hes still not much better than he was when we he left for PSG 2 or 3 years ago.  

I think he's been far better defensively than he was a few years ago. But recently he's having far more defensive lapses since February. He's the only one among the back three and wingbacks  who has significantly been lower in his performance level. Hopefully he picks up his concentration. 

He's only had about 4/5 bad games so far this season, not fair to say he's a "nightmare waiting to happen". 

Stats likes this

Warrior's performance. Surprised Azpi was chosen as Captain over him. Luiz was clearly the one barking orders from the back.

Another top performance from David. Real warrior today. I'm just worried about how he doesn't look at his peak physically ATM. Hope he gets a nice rest at the end of the season. 

Peace. likes this

That's the character you want in any team. Clearly isn't at full fitness (probably having an op in the summer), but he gives his all and delivered today.

Yeboii likes this

4 hours ago, LAM09 said:

That's the character you want in any team. Clearly isn't at full fitness (probably having an op in the summer), but he gives his all and delivered today.

That was never in doubt after he played in the CL final with a hamstring (?) injury!

Would not take another CB over this guy. He is just brilliant. Even he is prone to the odd error like any other CB is because they are human, what he brings is priceless. Wins his duels, has a lot of pace for a CB, prob best vision/passing ability for a CB, scores the odd spectacular goal and just leads by example. He don't have the same hype for POTY like Kante and Hazard does, but he is certainly up there. Been magnificent this season and shut up a lot of people.

I remember after we lost to Liverpool 2-1 at the Bridge in September and post-match when they have their usual discussion, Carragher and co were stating Luiz was a panic signing, was not Conte's signing and he won't be first choice once JT is back etc. Bla bla bla :yawn:

Now look few months later. Best CB in league. To Carragher's credit, I am sure he has owned up and admitted he has been proven wrong and even stated himself Luiz could be POTY so respect that but hindsight is just a funny thing.

Fernando likes this

That's how you respond to a shit performance - with a world-class one. Couldn't do anything for the second Spurs goal as it was one of the most incredible passes I've ever seen. Other than that - imperious. Captain material. 

King11Didier and kellzfresh like this