test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rubber bullets

Drogba or Torres

Started by Rubber bullets,

Who should be first choice?   64 members have voted

1. 1. Drogba or Torres

• Drogba
    • Torres
    • Both can partner upfront

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

85 posts in this topic

I think AC Milan forcing Real to pay £61 million for Kaka beats the lot in honesty.

Torres will come good, you'll see. And I'll laugh in the face of those who doubted him.

Torres-celebrates-Chelsea-goal-v-West-Ham.jpg

Rambo likes this

Whatever you talk about Torres is far from over football in front of him and expected the choice should fall on him.

Drogba gave a lot but just time for a change.

I know there are many people who prefer it to Drogba, but everything is transient as in football and in life.

I think AC Milan forcing Real to pay £61 million for Kaka beats the lot in honesty.

Torres will come good, you'll see. And I'll laugh in the face of those who doubted him.

Torres-celebrates-Chelsea-goal-v-West-Ham.jpg

I dont think so. Kaka was the best player in the world in 2007, and he also was at good form when he left to Real.

Torres is a good player, but he never was even close of being the best in the world, and besides his goal in 2008 Euro Final, he did not do anything special in his career to justify his price.

Peace. likes this

Drogba set for new deal

Didier Drogba has revealed that he has begun talks with Chelsea over a new contract.

The 33-year-old has been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge, with Tottenham and former club Marseille strongly linked.

But the Ivorian superstar has made it clear he wants to stay in West London and he is ready to extend his current deal which has one-year remaining.

The new two-year deal would tie him to the club until 2013 and Drogba is hopeful that talks will soon be concluded.

"We've started talking and it's very interesting. Everybody knows what I feel about Chelsea and what I want," he said.

"I will definitely be here next season. I said a few years ago that I will be here until the end of my contract, and I am here.

"Now I need to keep playing well here and giving my best, like I always try to do.

"This will be my eighth season at this club and it means a lot for any striker to stay that long at Chelsea."

No guarantee

For the first time in his Chelsea career Drogba admits he will not be assured of a first-team place this season.

The 33-year-old is set to compete with 50million striker Fernando Torres for the starter's role with new boss Andre Villas-Boas seemingly set to employ a single striker in a 4-3-3 formation.

With the likes of Nicolas Anelka and Daniel Sturridge, who impressed on loan at Bolton last term, also in the squad Drogba knows competition for the striker's role will be fierce.

"Yes, I think we are [contending for one place]," added Drogba, who has been the Blues' most effective player in the lone-striker's role during his seven years in West London.

"That's the manager's choice, but it's been like this for me for all my years at this club.

"It was the same when Eidur Gudjohnsen was here, when [Andriy] Shevchenko was here, and all of the other times.

"I'm 33, I'm the oldest player and, even if that feels strange, I'm not worried.

"If I deserve to play then I will play. If I'm not good then I won't. It's good for the team to have some competition."

:delight:

Well done Chelsea for realising Drogba still has a lot more to offer.

"If I deserve to play then I will play. If I'm not good then I won't. It's good for the team to have some competition."

Exactly! Some people don't get this at all.

Very surprising. Not due to his age or his performances but mostly because of what he costs the club. I guess if he is less involved in the first XI than what he was the club could avoid paying his huge bonuses.

I watched The game on Wednesday, Drogba looks good to me still. Age is a number. If he's got more than Torres still then so be it. I agree with need someone else in there if we are playing with Torres. But as far as I can remember, Torres has missed sitters for fun for us so I don't think we don't create chances for him, but I do think we need a playmaker. If AVB thinks our current crop is good enough, then we are in for a long season.

Whoever is playing the best should be the team, and thats probably the end of it. The only problem with that is if Drogba would accept it, but i can see by the story a couple of posts above that this also seems to be his mentality. I think people are deluded if they think Torres is not going to have a good season with Chelsea, he's had his bad spell and naturally and gradually will start to score goals. Hopefully more than the pitifiul 11 Drogba came up with last season. Thats not particularly a criticism, its just that we had a rotation of Anelka, Drogba and Kalou who all had fairly poor seasons. Anelka and Kalou will probably be deployed on the wings from time to time if AVB plays a 4-3-3 and Drogba and Torres will battle to be the main striker.

I'd personally like to see us start the season with Sturridge Torres and Malouda up top.

We are in a sad state if we are forced to have a 33 year old going on 34 as our main source of goals. He is not even the most prolific scorer as he rarely scores more then 15 goal a season (just two seasons has he gone above 20 goals) and his Premier league record is no way near the calibre of Henry or Van Nistelrooy :

04/05 - 10 goals

05/06 - 12 goals

06/07 - 20 goals

07/08 - 08 goals

08/09 - 05 goals

09/10 - 29 goals

10/11 - 11 goals.

Only two seasons has he really shined for us. It was Lampard that provided a lot of the goals (5 seasons in a row he scored 20+ goals) and now that he seems to be in decline our sources of goals are going to really dry up. So it is important that Torres regains form as he may be the only one that potentially could be our main source of goals.

Statistics go a long way to ignoring things such as all-round contribution and suffering from malaria.

Drogba always shines when he has serious competition. Age of the person does not equal age of the footballer; Drogba has much more to give.

We are in a sad state if we are forced to have a 33 year old going on 34 as our main source of goals. He is not even the most prolific scorer as he rarely scores more then 15 goal a season (just two seasons has he gone above 20 goals) and his Premier league record is no way near the calibre of Henry or Van Nistelrooy :

04/05 - 10 goals

05/06 - 12 goals

06/07 - 20 goals

07/08 - 08 goals

08/09 - 05 goals

09/10 - 29 goals

10/11 - 11 goals.

Only two seasons has he really shined for us. It was Lampard that provided a lot of the goals (5 seasons in a row he scored 20+ goals) and now that he seems to be in decline our sources of goals are going to really dry up. So it is important that Torres regains form as he may be the only one that potentially could be our main source of goals.

LOOOL

That's ridiculous. It's necessary to score many goals to do a good season? What a mentality

Statistics go a long way to ignoring things such as all-round contribution and suffering from malaria.

Drogba always shines when he has serious competition. Age of the person does not equal age of the footballer; Drogba has much more to give.

He is also a clown. When the chips are up and things are going smoothly he acts all happy. But when things go down South he can be a very difficult and a right pain in the arse, this also includes him being benched when other players are performing better (Anelka in the first half of the 2008/2009 season).

History will remember Drogba as a very good striker. But not one of the greatest strikers of all time that other Chelsea fans are deluded in thinking that. He will not reach the stats and heights of people such as Pele, Raul, Henry, Van Basten ect.

He is also the best striker we had in last 6 years.smile.gif

Emotions and desire is something Didier can't hide and I love him for that. You can discuss stats and goals per season, but it's not everything about goals. Sometimes a player like Drogba is more than just a player.

He is also the best striker we had in last 6 years.smile.gif

Emotions and desire is something Didier can't hide and I love him for that. You can discuss stats and goals per season, but it's not everything about goals. Sometimes a player like Drogba is more than just a player.

That is exactly the point, at times his emotions disrupt the dressing room, such as Jose being sacked on when Scolari was not chosing him as the main striker. Its alright when the chips are up but when things start going wrong he can be a bad influence for the team. We are making him bigger then the club, no player should be bigger then the club.

We are making him bigger then the club, no player should be bigger then the club.

Sorry, but that's blowing things way out of proportion