Drogba or Torres

Who should be first choice?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Drogba or Torres

• Drogba
    • Torres
    • Both can partner upfront

We are in a sad state if we are forced to have a 33 year old going on 34 as our main source of goals. He is not even the most prolific scorer as he rarely scores more then 15 goal a season (just two seasons has he gone above 20 goals) and his Premier league record is no way near the calibre of Henry or Van Nistelrooy :

04/05 - 10 goals

05/06 - 12 goals

06/07 - 20 goals

07/08 - 08 goals

08/09 - 05 goals

09/10 - 29 goals

10/11 - 11 goals.

Only two seasons has he really shined for us. It was Lampard that provided a lot of the goals (5 seasons in a row he scored 20+ goals) and now that he seems to be in decline our sources of goals are going to really dry up. So it is important that Torres regains form as he may be the only one that potentially could be our main source of goals.

Statistics go a long way to ignoring things such as all-round contribution and suffering from malaria.

Drogba always shines when he has serious competition. Age of the person does not equal age of the footballer; Drogba has much more to give.

We are in a sad state if we are forced to have a 33 year old going on 34 as our main source of goals. He is not even the most prolific scorer as he rarely scores more then 15 goal a season (just two seasons has he gone above 20 goals) and his Premier league record is no way near the calibre of Henry or Van Nistelrooy :

04/05 - 10 goals

05/06 - 12 goals

06/07 - 20 goals

07/08 - 08 goals

08/09 - 05 goals

09/10 - 29 goals

10/11 - 11 goals.

Only two seasons has he really shined for us. It was Lampard that provided a lot of the goals (5 seasons in a row he scored 20+ goals) and now that he seems to be in decline our sources of goals are going to really dry up. So it is important that Torres regains form as he may be the only one that potentially could be our main source of goals.

LOOOL

That's ridiculous. It's necessary to score many goals to do a good season? What a mentality

Statistics go a long way to ignoring things such as all-round contribution and suffering from malaria.

Drogba always shines when he has serious competition. Age of the person does not equal age of the footballer; Drogba has much more to give.

He is also a clown. When the chips are up and things are going smoothly he acts all happy. But when things go down South he can be a very difficult and a right pain in the arse, this also includes him being benched when other players are performing better (Anelka in the first half of the 2008/2009 season).

History will remember Drogba as a very good striker. But not one of the greatest strikers of all time that other Chelsea fans are deluded in thinking that. He will not reach the stats and heights of people such as Pele, Raul, Henry, Van Basten ect.

He is also the best striker we had in last 6 years.smile.gif

Emotions and desire is something Didier can't hide and I love him for that. You can discuss stats and goals per season, but it's not everything about goals. Sometimes a player like Drogba is more than just a player.

He is also the best striker we had in last 6 years.smile.gif

Emotions and desire is something Didier can't hide and I love him for that. You can discuss stats and goals per season, but it's not everything about goals. Sometimes a player like Drogba is more than just a player.

That is exactly the point, at times his emotions disrupt the dressing room, such as Jose being sacked on when Scolari was not chosing him as the main striker. Its alright when the chips are up but when things start going wrong he can be a bad influence for the team. We are making him bigger then the club, no player should be bigger then the club.

It seems Drogba accepts being handed a lesser role, it could well be he just wants to end his career here as a legend, rather than in another club with no emotions. I still think having both Torres and Drogba will be a big asset to the team... tactically speaking AVB will have different choices in attack, for example in a physical and congested game Drogba could do better, while in an open flowing play Torres would be my pick. I'm also a big fan of Drogba's set pieces :D It almost feels like a penalty because he mostly gets them on target or close, nobody in our squad comes close to Drogba's free-kicks.

Guest justin_3d

I think AC Milan forcing Real to pay £61 million for Kaka beats the lot in honesty.

Torres will come good, you'll see. And I'll laugh in the face of those who doubted him.

Torres-celebrates-Chelsea-goal-v-West-Ham.jpg

It was Real Madrid with Kaka that inflated the price for Torres.

Cause he flop and they pay that much, then Torres is worth that much.

We pay that and now he flops, and prices are very high.

Only way to bring down the price is for Torres to do good in the new season.

If he does good, then the price we payed will be justified, and people will lower the price of certain players.

But if he continues doing bad, then the Kaka situation and Torres situation would have left prices very elevated.

So i hope for future dealings that Torres come good.

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say Torres just because Drogba irritates me with his 'I have to take everything' attitude. No doubting his record is fantastic, but we bought Torres because Drogba wasn't performing last season. And Drogba continued to disappoint. I have been slated in my opinion of Drogba as I think he is not quite as good as he used to be. OK Torres hasn't had the best of starts, but signs show he is getting there. Drogba is not getting any better but Torres has the chance to!