chrismada9

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justin_3d

More Bielsa madness.

is highly respected in his homeland thanks to his work in developing young

He took charge in Chile three years later, just in time to rescue them from a poor start to the qualifiers. Bielsa again demonstrated his acumen in nurturing youngsters by dispensing with older players and putting his trust in many of the youngsters who propelled Chile to third place in the 2007 Under-20 World Cup, including the exciting midfielders Alexis Sánchez and Gary Medel.

http://www.guardian....chile-argentina

And this great article about him:

Bielsa's early exit such a waste for Chile

Post categories: Football

Tim Vickery | 10:00 UK time, Monday, 8 November 2010

A successful and promising relationship has come to a premature end with the news that Marcelo Bielsa will not continue as coach of Chile.

There is little point in appointing a foreign coach unless he brings something fresh - which the eccentric, but highly respected Argentine certainly has in the course of his three years in charge.

He took Chile to their first World Cup since 1998, winning more away games than anyone else in the qualification campaign. In South Africa in 2010, Chile quickly became the neutral's favourite. In a tournament dominated by caution, Chile's carefree attacking approach was a joy to behold.

The performances of the team said more about Marcelo Bielsa than they did about Chilean football.

He coaxed from his players a faithful representation of the approach that has made him one of the most interesting coaches around over the last 20 years.

His idea is always to attack, no matter where the game is played and who the opponents might be. He wants the play to take place in the opponent's half of the field. Whatever the shape of the side - 3-3-1-3 is his favoured formation - there are a number of constants; his team will always seek to play at a high tempo, with a central striker and two wingers and the aim of creating two-against-one situations down the flanks.

Before working with Chile, Bielsa was in charge of his native Argentina from 1998 to 2004. In a very significant way, Chile was easier for him. Argentina has a highly developed sense of its own footballing identity, to which the number 10 is crucial. Juan Roman Riquelme, with his elegant, foot-on-the-ball playmaking, is the guardian of the flame. Bielsa, though, had no place for him. Rather than the changes in rhythm that Riquelme inspires, the coach was looking for all out dynamism - which left him open to criticisms that he was trying to Europeanise the national team.

During his reign it was common for club coaches in Argentina to differentiate themselves from Bielsa by stressing their commitment to 'the pause' - the moment when the old-style number 10 slows the game down in order to rethink the attack. In Argentina, then, Bielsa often found himself swimming against a powerful current.

He had no such problem in Chile. "There's been no continuity," I was told a few years ago by Elias Figueroa, one of Chile's all-time greats. "We've tried to imitate Argentina. We've tried to imitate Brazil. We've tried to imitate Germany and Spain." From Bielsa's point of view, this lack of fixed identity was a plus point. It meant that his approach would meet with less cultural resistance.

Late 2007 was also a good time to take over. Humiliated on the field in that year's Copa America and with disciplinary problems off it, Chile appeared to have hit rock bottom. The only way was up - and giving momentum to the rise was the fact that an excellent generation of youngsters had just reached the semi-finals of the World Youth Cup.

They were to prove Bielsa's raw material. His bold game-plan requires a high level of fitness. He inherited an exciting group of players with young legs and open minds, and made a team of them. Versatile defenders or midfielders Arturo Vidal, Gary Medel and Mauricio Isla, central midfielder Carlos Carmona and, above all, wonderful little right winger Alexis Sanchez were all graduates from the World Youth Cup campaign who became stalwarts of the senior side.

Bielsa's option to stand down is frustrating for two reasons. Firstly, because he and his young side could have gone on to achieve much more. And secondly, because their time together could have been even better.

Three goals in four World Cup games was a disappointing return for a side of such attacking ambition. They would surely have scored more had centre forward Humberto Suazo been fully fit. Top scorer in the South American World Cup qualifiers, he was recovering from an injury when he was unwisely risked in a warm-up match. Injured once more, he was nowhere near 100% in South Africa.

In retrospect, Mauricio Pinilla should have been in the squad. Once briefly in Scotland with Hearts, Pinilla has been once briefly with a lot of clubs in a number of different countries. The striker came close to throwing away his own career with his wild-child antics. But he has always been a highly gifted player, potentially of genuine world class - as he has hinted in Italian football over the last 18 months. Especially in the absence of a fit Suazo, Pinilla would have been a useful option in South Africa.

He has been recalled for next week's game at home to Uruguay, seemingly Bielsa's swansong in charge of Chile. The idea of Alexis Sanchez and Pinilla operating together is an appealing one for Chile fans - but after next week it will not be Bielsa's job to get their talents to combine. He is leaving because Harold Mayne-Nicholls was not re-elected last week as president of Chile's FA. Before the election Bielsa made it very clear that he would not work with the opposition candidate Jorge Segovia.

Mayne-Nicholls, though, only carried the votes of six of Chile's First Division clubs. Segovia won the other 12, including the Santiago big three of Colo Colo, Universidad de Chile and Universidad Catolica. The election was, and continues to be controversial, with conspiracy theories flying around and claims that Segovia might be prevented from taking office on complicated legal grounds.

Mayne-Nicholls, though, has made it clear that he will not be coming back. One of the major complaints about him was the grumble that he prioritized the national team and his Fifa work over the domestic championship. He recently served as the chairman of the Fifa inspection committee which visited the countries bidding to stage the World Cups of 2018 and 2022.

Polished and articulate, he cut an impressive figure. But he has been cast out by an internal revolt at the very moment when his international prestige was at its highest. As a result, the national team is parting company with one of the world's most respected and interesting coaches. Chile's new regime will have to come up with something special to make up for the loss of Marcelo Bielsa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2010/11/bielsa.html

Guest justin_3d

Lets see what happens with Ancelotti before discussing possible replacements.

Well if we win the CL, which i am very bullish on it, i still don't think it's enough for Carlo.

It's not Roman, cause Roman might be happy if we win the CL, as mot fans here who talk bad about Carlo.

But it's Carlo who would like to go back to Roma.

But he continuously work with youth and produces stars. Not to mention that he maintain the club at top lvls with such little spending. Something hard to do.

Chelsea is not about maintaining at the top level, without any silverware any season would be considered a failure, that's why we go out spending millions on players to get instant results. Implementing youth takes time and it'll be difficult to do so at a club like Chelsea with so many internationals (big egos).

I do like the sound of this Bielsa fella Justin especially his 3-3-1-3 formation, we are crying out for that against these teams that like to defend for 90 minutes, also the fact he likes to give youth a chance - something I believe Ancelotti has made a big mistake by not taking advantage of that, it could of been a win win situation for him.

However I think his appointment would be remote as I'm not sure Roman would go for another South American Manager after Scolari's tenure at the club.

If Carlo is sacked then we need someone with bollocks that will tell Roman to keep his ore out, Jose & Guardiola would demand this before they accepted the role, either would be a superb appointment & they also know talent so wouldn't be afraid to give the likes of MacEachran, Kakuta, Sturridge etc opportunity's.

Lets see what happens with Ancelotti before discussing possible replacements.

Do you need more time to thing about Anchelotti´s future...

I do not...

The only miracle that can save Anchelotti´s ass is Winning the Champion League... And I do not Belive it will happend... because if this Happend I will Travel from Costa Rica to England and Apologies myself to Carlo and the Team...

Guest justin_3d

I do not...

The only miracle that can save Anchelotti´s ass is Winning the Champion League... And I do not Belive it will happend... because if this Happend I will Travel from Costa Rica to England and Apologies myself to Carlo and the Team...

Then you will have to do it! :)

I am confident he can win this competition.

Just my problem as I said is he lack of youth....but some people don't care about that these days, and only winning trophies at the cost of youth....

--------------------

I do like the sound of this Bielsa fella Justin especially his 3-3-1-3 formation, we are crying out for that against these teams that like to defend for 90 minutes, also the fact he likes to give youth a chance - something I believe Ancelotti has made a big mistake by not taking advantage of that, it could of been a win win situation for him.

However I think his appointment would be remote as I'm not sure Roman would go for another South American Manager after Scolari's tenure at the club.

If Carlo is sacked then we need someone with bollocks that will tell Roman to keep his ore out, Jose & Guardiola would demand this before they accepted the role, either would be a superb appointment & they also know talent so wouldn't be afraid to give the likes of MacEachran, Kakuta, Sturridge etc opportunity's.

Yeah that is the problem i see with that as well. But Scolari only got that role because of Brazil...and Brazil is nothing special.

What Guus does, and what Bielsa did are special. Really hard to do with small team.

But it's Carlo who would like to go back to Roma.

Only Roman is going to keep him in armani suits. :rolleyes:

He'd also be a fool to just leave Chelsea, without a big fat compensation package. I also doubt Carlo truly wants to manage a club like Roma, he will no longer be managing a top european club.

I do not...

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The fact that he still has a job tells me the heads of the club have changed their tactics. Not to mention that Roman Abramovich himself spent too much time and effort on bringing him to sack him now.

Guest justin_3d

Only Roman is going to keep him in armani suits. :rolleyes:

He'd also be a fool to just leave Chelsea, without a big fat compensation package. I also doubt Carlo truly wants to manage a club like Roma, he will no longer be managing a top european club.

True.

For me I know he can do good in the CL. It is what he is good at. I mean look at his record in Milan...and clearly it was not for the league but CL.

And plus from the beginning all he did was talked about the CL.

It's like the only competition he takes seriously.....which is a problem if we fail to win CL and do bad in the local league.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The fact that he still has a job tells me the heads of the club have changed their tactics. Not to mention that Roman Abramovich himself spent too much time and effort on bringing him to sack him now.

True, lets see what happens. But if Roman respected him, he shouldn't have sack Ray when Carlo did not wanted that decision....

I´m been realistic... this is the Worst Chelsea in the Roman Abramovich Era.... And that is a Faq... CL is the Hardess Cup in the Worlds And because os those 2 Reason is that thinging that Chelsea can Win it this year is very Hard...

In my hard I always belive we can.. until we are drop off... But... Is hard to belive under the circunstances ..

Jose still in 'love' with Blues

Mourinho in Chelsea admission

Jose Mourinho has told Sky Sports that he remains in 'love' with Chelsea.

The Real Madridspacer.gif coach has three years left on his current deal with the Spanish giants, but speculation has increased in recent weeks linking him with a sensational switch back to Stamford Bridge.

Current Bluesspacer.gif boss Carlo Ancelottispacer.gif appears to be on borrowed time, and Mourinho admits you can not rule anything out in football.

Asked if he would see out his contract at the Bernabeu, he told Revista De La Ligaspacer.gif he said: "I don't know. I love Chelsea.spacer.gif

"I was the happiest man [when there]. I was thinking to be there all my life and a few months later, I was out. So you never know.

"In Inter Milanspacer.gif I found an incredible family. Then after two years I felt it was over.

"When I sign a contract, I sign with the intention to respect the contract and be happy."

Link

I think Roman now knows that sacking Wilkins was a huge mistake but it is done now and we can only look forward. Roman's philosophy has now changed with regards to sacking managers and he obviously likes Carlo alot. I do think that the writing is on the wall for him now though - if Roman was really gonna back him 100% he would have got a new assistant in to aid Carlo....

Carlo's position is such a difficult one to call. On the one hand you do not become a bad manager overnight. He won us a very impressive double last season. On the other hand the players are massively underperforming and Carlo looks to have little idea of how to turn it around. If he was to be allowed to add to the squad in the summer the way he wants to would we see a upturn in our fortunes?