Luiz Felipé Scolari claims, he made Chelsea better

LDN Blue

Is that why things didn’t work out at Chelsea, because you weren’t given enough time?

The board were worried because we hadn’t beaten any of the big teams. I can understand that but we were only two or three points off the lead. And there were all these questions about the atmosphere, because there were one or two issues with some of the top players. That’s because I took a stance that other coaches wouldn’t have taken. I didn’t have total control. There was this resistance to me, mainly because there were two or three players who tried to impose their authority in a way that wasn’t right. The only thing is that I made them an important part of my plans, and that hadn’t been the case before. I wanted them to get back to their best, not just for Chelsea but for the rest of their careers, and they couldn’t see that. They wanted to play every game and that was one of the problems I had.

Whenever European clubs appoint South American coaches they always have doubts about how they work. My working methods were not the kind you’d usually associate with English football. In South America we do a lot of work on the basics. When we have a whole week of training sessions, for example, we get the first-team players and the reserves together, and that doesn’t really happen over there. That was another of the reasons why I didn’t stay.

I just carried on with my job though, and I know that some of the players improved as a result. Look at [Nicolas] Anelka. He wasn’t getting a game and then all of a sudden he was Chelsea’s top scorer. Ashley Cole couldn’t use his right foot and later he even scored with it, and all [salomon] Kalou could do was run fast. He couldn’t dribble very well, so we taught him to dribble round poles. Ok, I know they were only poles in the ground but it helped him to start dribbling round opponents, which is something he does now without any problem. And then there’s [Didier] Drogba, who had a serious knee injury but is fine now thanks to the work I did, not just the club’s doctors. I refused to let him play with an injury and I had problems with him because of that. But in 20 or 30 years' time, there’ll be two or three of them who’ll still be walking absolutely fine. They’ll remember me then, for sure. I’ve never spoken about this before and I’m not bringing it up now to justify myself. I understood the reasons and I accepted them. I was sad because I was enjoying the job and I wanted to stay on. I think English football’s great, but I had to go and I did.

Do you think things would have been different had it not been for the language barrier?

It would have been much easier for me, because I would have used normal words as well as the others you often hear on a football pitch. They’re a bit stronger and sometimes players understand that kind of language better than if you talk to them like a friend. Yes, it would have been different. You have to think hard about which words to use and that stops your thought processes. And even then it often comes out wrong. If I’m talking in Portuguese though, I’ll say what I want to say and add a bit more if I feel like it. Then I’m done.

FIFA

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scolari just strikes me as the parent of a child who is an immigrants and still stuck in his cultural state of mind. The type that thinks whatever they are accustomed to, is the right way, and its hard to communicate with such a person, especially when there is a language barrier. Sure he had passion, but it never connected on a level with the players like Mourinho did. Jose is more like the cool father who would show you how to built stuff and share your first beer with you, while Scolari is the type who would scold you for sneaking into the liquor cabinet because its against his culture. (Obviously its not, im trying to create a metaphor here for something im having a hard time expressing).

Hes just not that "cool" coach, rather a thick headed loudmouth who thinks he knows it all best, but cant even connect with his players. Is anyone understanding what im trying to say?

Scolari just strikes me as the parent of a child who is an immigrants and still stuck in his cultural state of mind. The type that thinks whatever they are accustomed to, is the right way, and its hard to communicate with such a person, especially when there is a language barrier. Sure he had passion, but it never connected on a level with the players like Mourinho did. Jose is more like the cool father who would show you how to built stuff and share your first beer with you, while Scolari is the type who would scold you for sneaking into the liquor cabinet because its against his culture. (Obviously its not, im trying to create a metaphor here for something im having a hard time expressing).

Hes just not that "cool" coach, rather a thick headed loudmouth who thinks he knows it all best, but cant even connect with his players. Is anyone understanding what im trying to say?

:goodpost:

Scolari was one of those who had the mindset "It's my way, or no way."

Ancelotti & Mourinho both adapted their tactics to bring the best out of Chelsea. We all remember how Carlo tried the diamond formation & once he realised we play better in the 4-3-3 formation he was more than happy to change. He put his ego aside. Something I think Scolari couldn't and that's why those "top players" he mentioned weren't with him.

Not enough time? Look what Ancelotti did with only a season! I'll give credit to him for one thing he did at Chelsea. Bringing in good players!

And Guus.He came in with half a season and we managed to win the FA Cup and get our form back!

Defintly didnt live up to expectation agree there.Started well,went downhill lost the players and confidence of fans and that was it