La Liga Thread

Steve

Ah Suarez.... 

I remember advocating on this forum for us to get him from Liverpool by any means  necessary but got ridiculed because he was a Scouser...... 

The way he lifted up average Liverpool players to almost win the title, and lifted a Barcelona that lost the league to athletico to treble winners just proves world-class is world-class, no beating around the bush. 

On 4/23/2016 at 4:39 AM, kellzfresh said:

Ah Suarez.... 

I remember advocating on this forum for us to get him from Liverpool by any means  necessary but got ridiculed because he was a Scouser...... 

The way he lifted up average Liverpool players to almost win the title, and lifted a Barcelona that lost the league to athletico to treble winners just proves world-class is world-class, no beating around the bush. 

oh come on man! Liverpool would have never sold Suarez to us. There was no point showing any concrete interest because of the bizarre amount they would demand. (70M plus ish)

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

Atletico lost today, 3 points off the top with one game remaining.

They officially can't win the league now because of the inferior head to head so effectively 4 points.

On 4/25/2016 at 3:15 PM, BleedsBlue said:

oh come on man! Liverpool would have never sold Suarez to us. There was no point showing any concrete interest because of the bizarre amount they would demand. (70M plus ish)

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see this. 

It's this mentality that got our team to the state it is this season. When we see a world-class attacking player, we should at least attempt to go all out to get him like we did for Hazard. We had no competition except from arsenal's 40 mil and one pound bid :lol: 

Strikers that are world-class or creative creative/goalscoring wingers can change a team from an average one to a title winning one. Look no further than when we bought costa and he played like a world-class forward in the first half of last season with us. Our football was on a different level, now he isn't the same, no matter how well hazard or willian plays, the key to bringing a team to world-class standards is a world-class  goalscoring striker imo.

But since we won the Champions League, we've lost the ambition to be the best and are more concerned with topping the financial fair play table :doh:

On 4/25/2016 at 9:15 AM, BleedsBlue said:

Not to mention one of the big issues with Suarez was the media attention he was receiving in England after all his issues. He didn't just want out of Liverpool, he wanted out of England. There was no way he was going to another English team for any amount of money.

This article highlights the importance of an effective sporting director:

The secret behind Sevilla’s success? Meet Monchi, the transfer wizard

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/17/sevilla-monchi-liverpool-europa-league-final

“No one takes a ‘what great economic results’ banner to the stadium,” he says. 

Honestly I would not be surprised if I see such banners in stadiums of Premiere League clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

Strong rumours about Simeone to psg. Blanc was practicaly sacked by psg president, with simeone main target.

Well we are losing on all fronts...all clubs in our range are getting further, while we cant make a strong statement.

Strong rumours about Simeone to psg. Blanc was practicaly sacked by psg president, with simeone main target.

Well we are losing on all fronts...all clubs in our range are getting further, while we cant make a strong statement.

Will be a big change in approach if they appoint him

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Will be a big change in approach if they appoint him

I hope he sticks with atletico tho. All the talk about him staying for long time, and now all of sudden on way out 

Atletico got big thanks to him. He bought the right players and brought consistent results even if losing 2 cl finals. 

Yeah Psg has all the quality. But I dont think simeone suits them.

I hope he sticks with atletico tho. All the talk about him staying for long time, and now all of sudden on way out 

Atletico got big thanks to him. He bought the right players and brought consistent results even if losing 2 cl finals. 

I don't think he can take them any further. Just surprised he didn't feel this way when there was job vacancies in the Prem.

1 minute ago, BlueLyon said:

Maybe he thinks his cycle has come to an end. After losing two finals in 3 years a new coach would be best for all parties.
Pep lost against Chelsea in the semis and afterwards came up with a similar thought.
I hope he choses Italy over France.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lionel Messi handed jail term in Spain for tax fraud

Argentina and Barcelona footballer Lionel Messi has been sentenced to 21 months in prison for tax fraud, Spanish media say.

His father, Jorge Messi, was also given a jail term for defrauding Spain of €4.1m (£3.5m; $4.5m) between 2007 and 2009.

They also face millions of euros in fines for using tax havens in Belize and Uruguay used to conceal earnings from image rights.

However, they are likely to avoid jail.

Under the Spanish system, prison terms under two years can be served under probation.

The footballer and his father were found guilty of three counts of tax fraud in Wednesday's ruling by the court in Barcelona.

During the trial, Lionel Messi claimed he "knew nothing" about the management of his financial affairs, saying he was "playing football"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36721892