Hip Hop discussion

Aria

Does anyone else on here listen to Chamillionaire?

Not his "Ridin'" stuff, but his more recent sh*t & remixes on his mixtapes etc? Honestly... I truly believe he's one of the most underrated rappers in history.

He can rap & sing. He has punchlines like the best of them. Incredible flow. Everything.

Some personal faves:

• Standing Ovation

• Keep Hatin' 2

• My Life (I actually prefer his chorus on this to the original Game ft. Lil Wayne version)

• When Ya On

• I Think I Love You (Most people think this is about a girl; It's not. It's about money)

• Price Of Failure (He sings the chorus using 50 Cent's "Many Men" structure)

• Won't Let You Down (An anthem for the south)

• Gotta Be The Baddest (This has one of my favourite punchlines from him. A little friendly shot at The Game. "I know this don't sound possible to some of you lames, 'bout to strain your whole brain tryna get her ta change; You gotta name-drop names of every person you came, .. in contact with in your life, that's just terrible game."

Go and enjoy his music. He really is great.

He recently left Universal Records due to creative differences (similar to Lupe Fiasco's situation) so his album "Venom" has been cancelled and he's now working on an album called "Poison".

In the meantime, he's releasing loads of free, great tracks.

Also, his last album which came out a few years ago, "Ultimate Victory", doesn't have a single swear word in the entire album - and none of his future songs will have them either (apparently). I respect that.

Jim Jones feat. Maino - Tryna Win

A few years ago, I was about to sign a contract to officially own this beat for my own use. I'm glad I decided to opt for a different instrumental from another producer. These guys did it justice. I love this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=105EQB4Tn68

Anyone remember the UK's rap/grime 'boom' period a few years ago? Certain artists were somehow rivalling USA artists. Anyway;

hopefully something similar happens again. This video gives me hope.

It's also nice to finally hear a Scottish rapper making some noise (he's on just half-way through the track), despite me actually despising his music.

I think I'll just push on and release my own stuff soon and take over the scene... :ph34r: Lucky for me I don't have a full-on Scottish accent at all. Infact I've got a weird hybrid accent. It can only be used to be advantage though IMO.

@Leif, you better drop those songs you do on TC,, if not i'll find ya! hahaha,,,

soo i assume your going into Grime (from reading your post) i only know of some like the JME,Skepta, Tempah T, Kano(prob one of my fav), but i just couldn't keep in touch with it so i gave up.

@Blue-in-me-Veins,

I'll upload a couple previews/clips of some of my shit here later on sometimes after the Fulham game!

Personally I'm not actually into grime at all. I'm just into the buzz it created within the UK when grime was reaching the mainstream.

Grime, 'trap' music (Most of Rick Ross's stuff) etc. gives me a headache. :angry:

The music I make is...well.. it's a mix of things really.

If I had to compare what I make to an established artist.. i'd say it's a blend of J. Cole and Kid Cudi. I speak about J. Cole type topics (usually) while using quite a monotone and at times singing voice + flow like Kudi does! (Edit: With a sprinkle of Lupe Fiasco on top ;))

Spending my evening listening to old 50 Cent & G-Unit material.

They, he, really were the mixtape kings at one point. They were absolutely superb. I had no idea how lengthy their discography is pre-GRODT!

Once I'm done listening to stray tracks like this, I'm going to kick back and listen to Power Of The Dollar. I have one of the very original legit CD's of that album. Lucky me, eh?

I caught a re-run of the Hip Hop awards on channel BET the other day and my god how mainstream Hip Hop has fallen on it's knees. Maybe I will always be stuck in the 90's but from what I could see it was just shocking beats, shocking MC's all rapping slow, repetitive bollocks. I miss proper Hip Hop.. where crews and MC's actually gave a shit about head nodding beats and intricate lyrics that had multi-syllabic rhyme schemes. These Lil Wayne's, T.I''s and Flo Ryda's are fucking dreadful.

DMX's newest album has some really crap mixing and mastering, but if you listen past that, it's really quite a solid album. He's transformed so much over the years. He's really mature sounding now.

It sounds like a crazy comparison to many, but he's the closest rapper to 'Pac I can think of.

16:14 into this = Bliss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2J4iIHBu4c

I caught a re-run of the Hip Hop awards on channel BET the other day and my god how mainstream Hip Hop has fallen on it's knees. Maybe I will always be stuck in the 90's but from what I could see it was just shocking beats, shocking MC's all rapping slow, repetitive bollocks. I miss proper Hip Hop.. where crews and MC's actually gave a shit about head nodding beats and intricate lyrics that had multi-syllabic rhyme schemes. These Lil Wayne's, T.I''s and Flo Ryda's are fucking dreadful.

the rappers are too weak to stand up against the industry,, too busy selling their soul for $$$$

Only one that's actually staying true to the hip hop we all know from the new school rapper vibes is Kendrick. No one compares to him at this very moment from the new batch - maybe J. Cole, but he's been a bit quiet this year.