The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

How are you trying to phrase it? Both seem fine to me but I feel like they'd be used in different types of scenarios. Are you trying to be firm/criticize the student? Or are you trying to offer advice? I would use the first statement if you're criticizing and the second statement if you're offering advice. But my English isn't the best!

Well, I had a test earlier today, and one question had that sentence and I had to choose between: should - have to - must - ought to

I went with 'should' (I thought it made more sense) but the teacher insisted that it was wrong and the correct answer was 'have to'. :rant: I'm pissed because if I had that one "right" I would have had a perfect score.

Well, I had a test earlier today, and one question had that sentence and I had to choose between: should - have to - must - ought to

I went with 'should' (I thought it made more sense) but the teacher insisted that it was wrong and the correct answer was 'have to'. :rant: I'm pissed because if I had that one "right" I would have had a perfect score.

Ohh since it was in a test, there must be a specific reason why 'have to' is preferred to 'should'. I'm terrible at those language rules. Hopefully someone else can help lol. In regular 'everyday' type conversation though, both seem right to me!

I would have gone with 'should' too but both the sentences make perfect sense. Did you teacher give you an explanation on why your answer was wrong?

I would have gone with 'should' too but both the sentences make perfect sense. Did you teacher give you an explanation on why your answer was wrong?

Yeah he said that "should" is used when the conversation is between 2 people of the same level (e.g. 2 friends) in case of "mild obligation"/advice/opinion, while 'have to' is used when somebody who's in a higher position than you (e.g. teacher) is talking to you in case of "strong obligation".

I didn't buy that..

Contact Grammar Police CHOULO19

To all English-speaking users out here:

Which sentence is correct:

"Dear student, you should think before you answer."

Or:

"Dear student, you have to think before you answer."?

These are modals:

http://www.onestopenglish.com/support/ask-the-experts/grammar-questions/grammar-teaching-the-modals-ought-to-should-must-and-have-to/146365.article

Yeah he said that "should" is used when the conversation is between 2 people of the same level (e.g. 2 friends) in case of "mild obligation"/advice/opinion, while 'have to' is used when somebody who's in a higher position than you (e.g. teacher) is talking to you in case of "strong obligation".

I didn't buy that..

Should is used when something is highly recommended, regardless of the level

Have to is an obligation.

so If I suggest you to take medicine when you have a flu, I would say you should take some Tylenol for example

Have to is like a condition, or an obligation. Examples:

You have to be here at most 7am otherwise you won't enter the class.

You have to take care of your health if you won't want to get sick

You have to decide which major to take until August 12th.

Because to be honest, your teacher is wrong as far as I can say because someone can't oblige the other to think or make thinking conditional to answer.

It's just a highly recommended advice. You are right.

If the sentence was about something else like:

Student you have to ask for my permission before you go to the bathroom OR

Student you have to be quiet during the exam.

Then it makes sense. but thinking before answering doesn't.

I think you should be as cynical as I am when you talk to the teacher again and say something like:

You have to think before elaborating the questions to the test. Or you just should?

Been really busy these last couple of days.

But I got some great news last week -- I got accepted into this internship programme at one of the insurance companies here. The internship itself isn't that great but I'm just thankful to be accepted! Summer internships usually have an application deadline of November or December and at that time last year, I wasn't even thinking about what I'd want to be doing/should be doing this summer so I missed all of the deadlines! Hence I was just planning on getting a regular administrative desk job for 4-5 months. But I saw this online ad for current undergrad students to participate in a finance internship so I applied and got it the next day!

I start on Thursday! Hoping it goes well!

congratulations, Meera *hugs*

I hope it works pretty well for you!

Should is used when something is highly recommended, regardless of the level

Have to is an obligation.

so If I suggest you to take medicine when you have a flu, I would say you should take some Tylenol for example

Have to is like a condition, or an obligation. Examples:

You have to be here at most 7am otherwise you won't enter the class.

You have to take care of your health if you won't want to get sick

You have to decide which major to take until August 12th.

Because to be honest, your teacher is wrong as far as I can say because someone can't oblige the other to think or make thinking conditional to answer.

It's just a highly recommended advice. You are right.

If the sentence was about something else like:

Student you have to ask for my permission before you go to the bathroom OR

Student you have to be quiet during the exam.

Then it makes sense. but thinking before answering doesn't.

I think you should be as cynical as I am when you talk to the teacher again and say something like:

You have to think before elaborating the questions to the test. Or you just should?

Finally, a teacher to the rescue!

Why did backstreet get banned? Was it to do with his posts in the mikel thread?

Backstreet banned? That's harsh!

What???? Backstreet? Fuck! Are you serious? The day just got worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Why did backstreet get banned? Was it to do with his posts in the mikel thread?

What???? Backstreet? Fuck! Are you serious? The day just got worse. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Backstreet banned? That's harsh!

I would like to point out that Thor had no part in this banning. I don't ban people without organising a fucking big public announcement B)

Enjoy your visit. your going to go see relatives?

Thanks. No we own a small house of our own in the village where my Dad is originally from. I do have relatives there but we sleep in our own house.

come back safely, Nour and yes, the place isn't the same without you hope you had a great time n the village

Thanks, Barbara. I just came back home. I had a good time, at least on Saturday before the battles started.

I went to a restaurant owned by some Lebanese family here the other day and it reminded me of you. Actually, now that I came to think about it I met some of them just today at the mall, they're my mom's friends You should come to Brazil someday.

I expect there are quite a few Lebanese restaurants in Brasil?

Thanks mate, maybe someday I will. I'll make sure to ring you up if I ever do ;)