The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

I expect there are quite a few Lebanese restaurants in Brasil?

Thanks mate, maybe someday I will. I'll make sure to ring you up if I ever do ;)

Hey, you better ring me as well!

I'm traveling to my mother's house next month, I'll beg her to do the grape leaf roll thing. I'm craving it so hard!!!

Been really busy these last couple of days.

But I got some great news last week -- I got accepted into this internship programme at one of the insurance companies here. The internship itself isn't that great but I'm just thankful to be accepted! Summer internships usually have an application deadline of November or December and at that time last year, I wasn't even thinking about what I'd want to be doing/should be doing this summer so I missed all of the deadlines! Hence I was just planning on getting a regular administrative desk job for 4-5 months. But I saw this online ad for current undergrad students to participate in a finance internship so I applied and got it the next day!

I start on Thursday! Hoping it goes well!

Congrats sweetie. Best of luck :D

Well, I had a test earlier today, and one question had that sentence and I had to choose between: should - have to - must - ought to

I went with 'should' (I thought it made more sense) but the teacher insisted that it was wrong and the correct answer was 'have to'. :rant: I'm pissed because if I had that one "right" I would have had a perfect score.

Neither is grammatically incorrect. You can use all four of them in that sentence and it won't be "wrong".

Logically, your teacher has a point that when someone 'superior' to someone else speaks to him/her (like a teacher addressing her students), "Have to" is used most often to convey a necessity. However, considering the sentence in this case, I'm not sure "Have to" is the best answer since you can't logically force someone to think. So the sentence here, even though it is from a teacher to students, is more of an advice than a command. So "Should" sounds most fitting, imo.

Hey, you better ring me as well!

I'm traveling to my mother's house next month, I'll beg her to do the grape leaf roll thing. I'm craving it so hard!!!

Will do Ma'am. Save some of the grape leaves for me, I have't had any in ages! (My mom can't make them anymore :()

Will do Ma'am. Save some of the grape leaves for me, I have't had any in ages! (My mom can't make them anymore :()

:(

Well I'm sure whatever my mom does can't compare to the original thing in Lebanon so I could take you out to an Arabic restaurant instead or just cook my fave Brazilian/Italian dishes to you instead, what do you think?

Well I'm sure whatever my mom does can't compare to the original thing in Lebanon so I could take you out to an Arabic restaurant instead or just cook my fave Brazilian/Italian dishes to you instead, what do you think?

Mmmmmmm since i am a cook freak Barbara. I wanna taste that food!

Ps: i just got my Naga chillies today.... The hottest in the world :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mmmmmmm since i am a cook freak Barbara. I wanna taste that food! Ps: i just got my Naga chillies today.... The hottest in the world :-) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yeah, I remember reading where you put your hands after touching them the other day. It was a funny picture in my mind :P

You're invited too. I don't have any fake modesty. I'm a great cook - I can't clean for my life, but I can cook very well. ;)

:D

How about I cook for you instead? ;)

Mmmmmmm since i am a cook freak Barbara. I wanna taste that food! Ps: i just got my Naga chillies today.... The hottest in the world :-) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yeah, I remember reading where you put your hands after touching them the other day. It was a funny picture in my mind :P

You're invited too. I don't have any fake modesty. I'm a great cook - I can't clean for my life, but I can cook very well. ;)

No funny matter. My ****** was a torch for more than a day ......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So the sentence here, even though it is from a teacher to students, is more of an advice than a command. So "Should" sounds most fitting, imo.

I would have gone with 'should' too but both the sentences make perfect sense.

Because to be honest, your teacher is wrong as far as I can say because someone can't oblige the other to think or make thinking conditional to answer.

It's just a highly recommended advice. You are right.

I feel good now that you guys agree with me, I know 100/100 would have been awesome but I'll take consolation in knowing that I was thinking correctly about the sentence... He made me look like an idiot. Thanks guys (@Stingray as well) for the info.

I feel good now that you guys agree with me, I know 100/100 would have been awesome but I'll take consolation in knowing that I was thinking correctly about the sentence... He made me look like an idiot. Thanks guys (@Stingray as well) for the info.

he didn't make you look like an idiot, my love. The joke is on him who is a teacher and can't make up the question properly.

Here let me kiss you to make you all better

:kiss:

As a teacher myself I'm ashamed of him for being so bad in that question. But in cases like this - when the teacher is stupid - go with logic. ought to and should are basically synonymy and as such both answers shouldn't be considered as there's no way a question can have two right answers. As have to is the only one that diverges on meaning from the other options, next time go with the odd option.

I'm not sure I made myself clear, :lol: I'm a little bit lightheaded at this exact moment.

he didn't make you look like an idiot, my love. The joke is on him who is a teacher and can't make up the question properly.

Here let me kiss you to make you all better

:kiss:

As a teacher myself I'm ashamed of him for being so bad in that question. But in cases like this - when the teacher is stupid - go with logic. ought to and should are basically synonymy and as such both answers shouldn't be considered as there's no way a question can have two right answers. As have to is the only one that diverges on meaning from the other options, next time go with the odd option.

I'm not sure I made myself clear, :lol: I'm a little bit lightheaded at this exact moment.

haha thanks :) I get what you're saying.. lightheaded? how come?

haha thanks :) I get what you're saying.. lightheaded? how come?

I'm physically exhausted... and I haven't eaten enough today (because I barely left the bed because my body aches) and I just had to take yet another huge amount of energy.

Consequently I'm lightheaded, but I'm going to eat and it shall pass.

:D

How about I cook for you instead? ;)

what of host am I if I let you cook for me?

Invite me over to Beirut and then cook for me ;)

Here you're my guest, and mother taught me when someone comes to our house we treat them as kings :)

I have been away for a couple of days so haven't been able to be on here much...

What happened to backstreet? Aliens?

I guess maybe because he called Nour Bin Laden? That's the only harsher thing I saw him saying, unless something developed on PM's

I on the other hand got dumped... that happens ;)

and I just chewed some very HOT pepper. Ouch. I feel like one of Dany's dragons.

what of host am I if I let you cook for me?

Invite me over to Beirut and then cook for me ;)

Here you're my guest, and mother taught me when someone comes to our house we treat them as kings :)

But impressing girls by cooking for them is kind of "my thing" :P How about we cook together? :D

I'd invite you to Beirut but, atm, even I don't want to be here! :lol:

I guess maybe because he called Nour Bin Laden? That's the only harsher thing I saw him saying, unless something developed on PM's

I on the other hand got dumped... that happens ;)

and I just chewed some very HOT pepper. Ouch. I feel like one of Dany's dragons.

I just saw the mikel thread... Yeah calling someone that won't help you much will it.

And did volt-age cheat on you. Want me to go beat him up? :D

But impressing girls by cooking for them is kind of "my thing" :P How about we cook together? :D

I'd invite you to Beirut but, atm, even I don't want to be here! :lol:

dumped by @, denied an invitation to visit you.

I feel fantastic now!

We could cook together... if I wasn't so frigging dominant and bossy and selfish in the kitchen. I had to be any of those things somewhere and that happens to be the kitchen. Sorry, Nour, my kitchen, my rules, my food. The only exception is my mom, but then she is doing all the cooking and I just eating :P

I could lend you the kitchen someday though ;)

I just saw the mikel thread... Yeah calling someone that won't help you much will it.

And did volt-age cheat on you. Want me to go beat him up? :D

well, cheating wasn't mentioned, but it seems I'm too affectionate. Also I'm not supposed to talk about it anymore, so I better :zip:

And no beating him up, I still love him. (ask again tomorrow?)