The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Wow, BlueLion, I'm really impressed. It's always nice to hear that any foreigner knows something about your own country history. I think we would easily find a common topic, as personally I also am interested in history.

I love history and I'm pursuing a major in history at uni :)

Personally I'm more interested in World War I- not so much the fighting but the huge social impacts it had worldwide. Revolutions in Russia and Germany, women's rights growing worldwide, the 'Turnip Winter' in Germany and all the sacrifices everyday people made to keep the carnage at the front going, the arrival of the United States as a force to be reckoned with, Germany's humiliation at Versailles and their subsequent revenge 21 years later, and my own Australia's baptism of fire.

World War II, on the other hand was for me all about the fighting and the sneaky back room deals. From the Molotov-Ribbentrop Non Aggression Pact to the USSR doing the seemingly impossible and preventing the Nazi's from taking Moscow with their incredible doggedness at Leningrad and Stalingrad, and the first (and only) ever attack on Australian territory it all made for compelling reading, but to me just didn't appeal to me as much as WWI. Probably because of all the dicking about the US did with Stalin. Yes he was a cunt, but he won the war, and I would have personally been a little bit wary of pissing off a man like that.