The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Yeah you won't use gradients and partial derivatives in contracting, but I always thought that math teaches a way of thinking and solving problems not just equations. You need to have a "mathematical" mind if you are to be a successful engineer.

I design, I'm a consultant.

Yeah u are right, it does give you to tools to go out and solve problems. I love maths cause there is only one answer! Haha

I think my way of thinking is too abstract and lateral for mathematics.

Architecture I think is where my passion lies, but I don't think I'll be accepted into the course.

With mathematics it seems you either are good at it or you're not. Since school, I always find some stuff in math very obvious while others find it extremely difficult. Luckily, you don't have to be an excellent mathematician to be an engineer.

I always hated civics and economy and literature because I could answer everything right and still barely get 14/20 :lol:

Literature sucked! Each teacher interprets the answer differently. Way to subjective for me! Failed that so hard!

We had to do a professional engineering development paper, (basically it was an english paper with some legal aspec chucked into it, taught by a lecturer that had no engineering expeience might i add) turned into an open book test cause none of the class could tell what the teacher was on about. We just aren't wired to think like that.

http://www.cosgroves.com

That's the company I work for if you want to have a squizz at the field I'm in.

We had to do a professional engineering development paper, (basically it was an english paper with some legal aspec chucked into it, taught by a lecturer that had no engineering expeience might i add) turned into an open book test cause none of the class could tell what the teacher was on about. We just aren't wired to think like that.

Tell me about it! I have an "Engineering Ethics" course next semester. That's a guaranteed 'D' from now :doh:

That's the company I work for if you want to have a squizz at the field I'm in.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the field. Did an internship with an engineering consulting company in the summer. It's not that hard, basically you just bully the contractors :P

Math exams for engineering students are usually not as hard as those for math students because they are not in your major courses. They're usually a bit tougher than the one posted. But keep in mind that you would have studied for them. You should be fine. At least that's how it is here.
The thing is, you never ever use those stupid equations!! Only equations I've used so far are equations surrounding ohms law to find out max load of a certain building or luminare calcs and to some extent finding the what the area of my cable should be when running from the MSB to DB(x) Spike, maths is only one paper, takes you six months. You'll never derive or integrate again after that.

Seriously? OMG, I hate it here...

My first 4 semesters are basic pure subjects (math, chemestry, physics, etc). I have 2 years which are equal for all engineers, only then I have specific subjects related to my major! :rant:

I think my way of thinking is too abstract and lateral for mathematics.

Architecture I think is where my passion lies, but I don't think I'll be accepted into the course.

Shut the fuck up, of course you will get accepted!

Failed my maths exam I think :D

Your girlfriends dont want you anymore. :halo:

So went into a local shop today for a crunchie, turns out the bastarding thing cost 70p. Was completely outraged, since when did fucking crunchies cost 70 fucking p? Last time I remember they were 45-55p and that was 2 years ago. This is an outrage but I didn't let the fat cats win by not flipping out. I just took the crunchie, ate it and then took some scotch and went crazy. At this rate, in the words of Kevin Bridges 'It won't be long until we are paying a fucking quid for a chomp.'

/rant about economic crisis ruining Ryan's feeding time over.

Because I wanted to know how good (or bad) it is. Since it is in Belgium, I thought you might have gone...

Aaah I see. Well, I know some who went. It seems awesome. Nice setting, kinda spectacular and good DJ's. Is it coming to Brazil?

I'd go if I was you (i'm too old for that shit I guess lol).

My first 4 semesters are basic pure subjects (math, chemestry, physics, etc). I have 2 years which are equal for all engineers, only then I have specific subjects related to my major!

Similar system here except it's for the first year (2 semesters) only. In the second year, you choose which major of engineering you want and half your courses would be major while the other half is still "core" courses (mostly math). How many years does it take to get a bachelor in engineering in Brasil? Here's it's 5.