Patrick van Aanholt

magic weeds

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From TOCFCW

NEW DEAL FOR VAN AANHOLT

Posted on: Mon 23 May 2011 Left-back Patrick van Aanholt has today (Monday) signed a new four-year contract.

The 20-year-old scored against Newcastle in the Carling Cup during his first start for the club back in September, having made his debut as a substitute in 2009/10.

He made three starts in total and five sub appearances before moving to Leicester on loan in January where he made 12 appearances for Sven Goran Eriksson's side, scoring once.

The Dutch Under 21 international joined Chelsea in July 2007 and has also had loan spells at Coventry and Newcastle.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Patrick van Aanholt has today joined Wigan Athletic on a season-long loan deal.

The left-back, who celebrated his 21st birthday on Monday, signed a four-year deal at Chelsea in May and will join Roberto Martinez's side for the rest of the campaign in order to gain first-team Premier League experience.

The Dutch Under 21 international has so far played eight times for Chelsea in competitive fixtures, as well as appearing regularly on loan for Coventry City, Newcastle United and Leicester City in the Championship.

Source: Chelsea FC

Another young player that will benefit from going out on loan at a club were he will get vital game time & experience. He like Kakuta has a good manager behind him that will improve his game immensely. Martinez has been given a massive vote of confidence by Cleverly which bodes well for PVA, I hope Martinez works on his defensive deficiencies whilst maintaining his talent going forward.

Question for EW & the youth followers, why have we got decent prospects on the left side coming through as opposed to the right? Are there any right wingers/backs/wingbacks coming through the ranks?

Another young player that will benefit from going out on loan at a club were he will get vital game time & experience. He like Kakuta has a good manager behind him that will improve his game immensely. Martinez has been given a massive vote of confidence by Cleverly which bodes well for PVA, I hope Martinez works on his defensive deficiencies whilst maintaining his talent going forward.

Question for EW & the youth followers, why have we got decent prospects on the left side coming through as opposed to the right? Are there any right wingers/backs/wingbacks coming through the ranks?

I think Todd Kane is a right-sided prospect, BlueLion seems to rate him highly, I know nothing about him tbh.. only that he's a RB

Billy Clifford & Todd Kane are the best right-prospects coming out from this crop of youth.

Both can play in midfield as well as the full back position and both love to get forward often. You could compare Billy to Glen Johnson when he first came on scene but he's a lot more defensive aware. So I think he'll be much better than GJ when he first came.

Todd Kane is a lot more attacking. His shooting is incredible, like Bosingwa's is. Kane's strong as well so his runs are not only quick, but he can out do the full backs that oppose him. Kane's still quite young so we might have to wait a couple more years for him to come through, but Billy Clifford could start featuring from this season if we're lucky.

Billy Clifford & Todd Kane are the best right-prospects coming out from this crop of youth.

Both can play in midfield as well as the full back position and both love to get forward often. You could compare Billy to Glen Johnson when he first came on scene but he's a lot more defensive aware. So I think he'll be much better than GJ when he first came.

Todd Kane is a lot more attacking. His shooting is incredible, like Bosingwa's is. Kane's strong as well so his runs are not only quick, but he can out do the full backs that oppose him. Kane's still quite young so we might have to wait a couple more years for him to come through, but Billy Clifford could start featuring from this season if we're lucky.

Thanks, how old are they & are they likely to go out on loan?

I will be watching a Chelsea under 16 match in a few week time but ironically I won't be there for Chelsea reasons, so I was going to run my eye over our next generation & see how good our future is, but i was a little bemused before yours & manpe's post as to why we are so much stronger on the left side.

LDN Blue gave a very good overview on both Billy Clifford and Todd Kane, i would add to that though that i am not 100% sure that Clifford's future lies at right back, when he is played in midfield he can be an absolute demon dominating game and showing some immense skill. Both are top quality players, Billy in all probability will go on loan this season. Todd Kane will not but will feature heavily for the reserves.

At the moment we do not have a lot of wingers especially with Tore and Sala sold in the summer.