Patrick van Aanholt

magic weeds

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Vitesse this season one thing is clear to me: Patrick is not ready nor do I think he will ever be. He can be brilliant going forward but he's just not good enough when defending. If we want to bring either him or Ryan back as backup next season the obvious choice would be Bertrand who is miles ahead of PVA.

Watching Vitesse this season one thing is clear to me: Patrick is not ready nor do I think he will ever be. He can be brilliant going forward but he's just not good enough when defending. If we want to bring either him or Ryan back as backup next season the obvious choice would be Bertrand who is miles ahead of PVA.

There is always a possibility that we just go with Van Aanholt's attacking prowess and ignore the fact that he's shakey in defence. If you've got Ramires and Matic in midfield then maybe you can let them cover the full-backs as they get forward and stretch the pitch.

Bertrand...never really seen him excel either going forward or defending.

There is always a possibility that we just go with Van Aanholt's attacking prowess and ignore the fact that he's shakey in defence. If you've got Ramires and Matic in midfield then maybe you can let them cover the full-backs as they get forward and stretch the pitch.

Totally agree.

Bertrand is a decent squad player, generally doesn't complain about lack of football and he'll give you 7/10 performances when called upon..

However, there's no real 'spark' about Bertrand and for the sake of his career, he's better off signing permanently for Villa

Can see Jose losing patience with PVA quickly, tbh. Call me old-fashioned but I believe that a fullback is first and foremost a defender and should defend first. So unless we'd be playing with 3 at the back, I personally would not put PVA in my team.

As for Ryan, you're spot on about him. He doesn't excel in attacking or defending but he rarely disappoints too. He's a solid 6/10 almost every time which is what you'd want from your backup fullback. I think bringing him back to be backup for whoever we buy to be first choice LB would make much more sense than buying another LB, unless Ash accepts a huge wage cut and stays for another season. It's just about whether or not Ryan would agree to being a mere squad player.

Can see Jose losing patience with PVA quickly, tbh. Call me old-fashioned but I believe that a fullback is first and foremost a defender and should defend first. So unless we'd be playing with 3 at the back, I personally would not put PVA in my team.

As for Ryan, you're spot on about him. He doesn't excel in attacking or defending but he rarely disappoints too. He's a solid 6/10 almost every time which is what you'd want from your backup fullback. I think bringing him back to be backup for whoever we buy to be first choice LB would make much more sense than buying another LB, unless Ash accepts a huge wage cut and stays for another season. It's just about whether or not Ryan would agree to being a mere squad player.

Even if PvA was to come back to Chelsea...he'd still be third choice LB

Assuming we sign Moreno/Luis/Sandro/Shaw/someone-else as #1 LB....then you still have Azpi as the versatile RB/LB and then in third-spot would be PvA

I like PvA's attacking skills, they would definitely come in handy against the lower PL sides

Even if PvA was to come back to Chelsea...he'd still be third choice LB

Assuming we sign Moreno/Luis/Sandro/Shaw/someone-else as #1 LB....then you still have Azpi as the versatile RB/LB and then in third-spot would be PvA

I like PvA's attacking skills, they would definitely come in handy against the lower PL sides

I think we might/will go with buying just one LB and letting both go, with Azpi playing mainly at RB but being able to cover at LB when needed and Iva playing mainly at CB but being able to cover at RB.

Unless Ash agrees to a reduced role and a wage cut in which case he'd be the backup LB.

At Madrid he had Marcelo and Coentrao, Marcelo was a fav of Mou even though his compatriot was the better defender. PVA work rate and mentality will determine his fate with Mou.

When Piazon was on form and was a regular on the left lank at Vitesse no one was questioning PVA defense ability. That is because the duo was causing too much havoc on the other end, and the opposing RB+RW was sitting back deeper and more concerned with defending then attacking.

If next season PVA and Hazard were to line up, what do you think almost every team we face would do? they would react to their attacking ability by being defensive. They would get smoked by us if they push their RB forward and/or if their RW doesn't hold back and try to defend first. A fit Hazard tracks back and helps his LB and i bet he would appreciate not being surrounded by 2 or 3 players.

I would like to see PVA given an opportunity and i believe he would strive here.

from the article u gave me

At this stage in my career I need to be playing. I don't want to be sat on the bench next season, so that is something we will discuss in the summer.

Patrick van Aanholt has been named in the Netherlands provisional 30-man squad for this summer's World Cup in Brazil. The squad picked by Louis van Gaal has to be trimmed to 23 players by 2 June.

There is only two left back in the squad(Martins Indi and PvA), so it's likely not to be dropped.

Patrick van Aanholt has been named in the Netherlands provisional 30-man squad for this summer's World Cup in Brazil. The squad picked by Louis van Gaal has to be trimmed to 23 players by 2 June.

There is only two left back in the squad(Martins Indi and PvA), so it's likely not to be dropped.

Not entirely true - Martins Indi is more of a CB (but can play LB) and the other LB in the team is Daley Blind (who also operates in midfield). He'll make it though because he is the only pure attacking LB in the team.