Patrick van Aanholt

magic weeds

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunderland has another loanee I thought they were going to sign, Alonso, but I guess PVH will be their starter?

Poyet did a pretty good job fighting them out of relegation and bringing some south americans in.

Officially official.

Van Aanholt departs
NEWS

Patrick van Aanholt has today (Friday) joined Sunderland on a permanent transfer.

The Dutch left-back moved to Stamford Bridge from PSV Eindoven in 2007.

Van Aanholt quickly established himself as a regular in our reserve side shortly after joining, and then spent the first half of the 2009/10 season on loan at Coventry City.

After playing seven times for Newcastle United early in 2010 he moved back to the Blues, making his debut for the club as a substitute in a 5-0 win over Portsmouth. He also came off the bench in our 7-1 win over Aston Villa en route to the Premier League title.

The following season saw Van Aanholt score his first Chelsea goal, in a League Cup tie against Newcastle, before he joined Leicester City for the remainder of the campaign.

He spent a brief period on loan at Wigan Athletic early in the 2011/12 season, before returning to his native Holland and Vitesse Arnhem.

The youngster impressed to such an extent he was loaned back to Vitesse for the whole of the 2012/13 season, playing regularly and consistently as they finished fourth in the Eredivisie.

Ahead of the 2013/14 season it was agreed that Van Aanholt would again return to Vitesse, with his impressive form towards the end of the season earning him a place in the provisional Dutch World Cup squad.

We would like to thank Patrick for his service and wish him the best of luck for the future.

Another case of the "the Kakutas", a player with great potential but a poor attitude. Maybe he'll get a decent run of games at Sunderland and show us what he's made of, but he's nowhere near good enough for our first team IMO.

i hope theres a buy-back clause

Why would Sunderland buy him then? People are so obsessed with not losing talent that they want to put buy-back clauses on every player but there is a reason they are really never included.

@iii3 Second choice LB is I think, pretty obviously, Azpilicueta.

He's 24! When are we going to buy him back?

We just bring our 36-years-old ex-player back :D Matic was 25 when we resigned him so if Pat turns to be a good player why not?

i hope theres a buy-back clause

We can buy him back anyway... It's Sunderland, all we need to pay a couple of millions if we want him back.

Another case of the "the Kakutas", a player with great potential but a poor attitude. Maybe he'll get a decent run of games at Sunderland and show us what he's made of, but he's nowhere near good enough for our first team IMO.

Kakuta was a big failure in professional level, he was a benchwarmer in Lazio and Vitesse. Van Aanholt has been one of the best Dutch leftbacks, he was included in the previous WC-squad. Probably he is not in our level but it's not fair to compare him to Kakuta, who was almost kicked out of Vitesse because of behavior.

I'm actually quite interested to see how this move goes, for £1.5m Sunderland may well have got a potential bargain for a position they've been very weak in past few seasons. Unfortunate for PVA that he couldn't make it here, 2 seasons ago quite a lot had written him off (me included) but he's progression last 2 seasons has been promising, he's at an important stage in his career well and if all goes well he could easily be a Dutch regular and get a move to a bigger club in 2-3+ seasons..we'll see.

"The Kakutas" :lol:. Nice little phrase that I'll add to my vocabulary if you don't mind.