Patrick van Aanholt

magic weeds

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ one of the best in the world? No, not for me.

People who woke up this morning and watched the Match of the Day repeat will see his lovely assist but won't see how he was the weak point in the Sunderland defence all game long. Lost count of how many times balls were played in behind him to Dorrans and Berahino.

People who woke up this morning and watched the Match of the Day repeat will see his lovely assist but won't see how he was the weak point in the Sunderland defence all game long. Lost count of how many times balls were played in behind him to Dorrans and Berahino.

Also at fault for the second goal conceded, completely ball watching instead of watching Berahino.

He won't ever be a top class left back simply because his defensive game isn't strong enough, and I don't think it ever will be.

Also at fault for the second goal conceded, completely ball watching instead of watching Berahino.

He won't ever be a top class left back simply because his defensive game isn't strong enough, and I don't think it ever will be.

Totally agree. His attacking play is fabulous to watch, defensively he leaves a lot to be desired.

Which is why he would need cover from a midfielder/centreback when he would go for his runs. He is, in essence, a bombing left winger.

Tidy assist today. If more teams go for the 3-5-2 then he has potential to be one of the best in the world one day.

I'm cheering for him.

I dunno whats so special with 3-5-2 honestly, its good only in certain games, but I wouldnt want our team to use it whole season. Even Juve who were probably best presenters of that formation in last few years got completely lost in CL everytime and now want to go with 4 defenders. And to realy work, those two wing-backs have to be extremely good in both attack and defence, plus have a lot of stamina and pace to run up and down.

I dunno whats so special with 3-5-2 honestly, its good only in certain games, but I wouldnt want our team to use it whole season. Even Juve who were probably best presenters of that formation in last few years got completely lost in CL everytime and now want to go with 4 defenders. And to realy work, those two wing-backs have to be extremely good in both attack and defence, plus have a lot of stamina and pace to run up and down.

Its an OPTION ,, better in my view than hoofing the ball big if chasing a game. As the saying goes "more than one way to skin a Cat"

and it doesnt have to be a double pivot..

Juventus are only going with a back 4 because they have a manager who is not an advocate of the back 3 system. And there is more to why Juventus failed to excel in Europe with the 3-5-2 rather than just pinning the blame solely on that formation.

Juventus are only going with a back 4 because they have a manager who is not an advocate of the back 3 system. And there is more to why Juventus failed to excel in Europe with the 3-5-2 rather than just pinning the blame solely on that formation.

Even Conte or sbd said that formation is "outdated".

To just say it's "outdated" is rather vague. Would appreciate it if you can provide the full quotes of what he said.

Cant find it now, but if I do I will show you...it was few months ago,he didnt exactly say outdated, but more in lines that they need to fresh up formation to 4:3:3.

• 4 months later...

Van Aanholt comes back, and does what he does.

If Ashley Young, and Valencia, can play left back for the third ranked side in the league with a defense that has only given up a goal more than us, then Aanholt can quite easily grow into one of the best in this league.

The kid is a machine.