Essien to return to Cobham following injury

Depends on the severity of the tear. If its torn in two, it'll be 3 months if we're lucky. If its only a partial tear, we could see him back in 6-8 weeks hopefully.

Breaking news - He's being flown back to Cobham for treatment.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the severity of the tear. If its torn in two, it'll be 3 months if we're lucky. If its only a partial tear, we could see him back in 6-8 weeks hopefully.

Breaking news - He's being flown back to Cobham for treatment.

Ghana doctors are said to believe it will keep him out for at least a month, with reports in respected French newspaper L'Equipe claiming there were fears he had damaged ligaments.

Scans are reported to show that Essien has suffered a partially torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee and damage to his meniscus.

Ghana and NAC Breda striker Matthew Amoah said: 'This is a big blow because Michael is so important to our team. We've lost the motor in our midfield, and this is very bad.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1244203/Chelsea-star-Michael-Essien-sent-home-Africa-Cup-Nations-amid-fears-lengthy-lay-knee-ligament-injury.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0cyxx22w8

So he will miss the Arsenal game at home, the Man City game at Home and away leg at Inter

I dont see why you lot are all so incensed at Ghana for playing him. He clearly wanted to represent his nation, and in his own blog he wrote how overjoyed he was to take part in the tournament. He is out for a month, no big deal, Mikel stepped up last season in his absence and im sure he will do the same now.

I think the reason everyone is upset that Ghana was still playing him was that it was reported he had a hamstring injury prior to the knee injury... why would they field an already injured player??

I'm praying it is only a month that he is out but the accounts don't seem to agree with each other so I will wait to see what they say once he gets back to Cobham.

Mikel will have very big shoes to fill!!! Hope he can step up.

I think the reason everyone is upset that Ghana was still playing him was that it was reported he had a hamstring injury prior to the knee injury... why would they field an already injured player??

I forget who but a Chelsea team doctor flew down with him, so im sure he gave him the ok. and he injured himself in practise, not in the game. he came on agaisnt ivory coast when they were loosing. I got mad respect for him, at least in my opinion country > club. And its not like he injured himself in a friendly game. anyways I hope hes back soon, but Mikel is a noble deputy.

I forget who but a Chelsea team doctor flew down with him, so im sure he gave him the ok. and he injured himself in practise, not in the game. he came on agaisnt ivory coast when they were loosing. I got mad respect for him, at least in my opinion country > club. And its not like he injured himself in a friendly game. anyways I hope hes back soon, but Mikel is a noble deputy.

I with you on that, I think they need to put their country first, but I have a feeling I'm in a minority on that one. I know the US is very concerned with Clint Dempsey's recent injury.

I with you on that, I think they need to put their country first, but I have a feeling I'm in a minority on that one. I know the US is very concerned with Clint Dempsey's recent injury.

ha yah i feel bad for usa in that 1, but I am none the less happy because unlike many others i think the USA will be a tough match for England, and with dempsey out it adds to our favour.