Maicon

the wes

Oh come on guys. Are you actually comparing the Maicon situation to Zola & Maka?!

Okay fair play to Maka because everyone knew how good he was at Real, but Zola?! Yea fine people knew he was good but it's not as if he was an established name when we signed him was he? Maicon was one of the, if not THE, best right back in the world. Yes it looks attractive when we say he's only £6million, but he's not going to be a rotation player, he's going to be our first choice right-back. He comes with a name & reputation. I just don't understand why he's got to be that stop gap between youth an experience - Which I agree we need an accurate balance of.

There are better right-back options out there who come in around the same price range. Our best right-back prospect is Todd Kane (18) and Billy Clifford (19). So Maicon isn't really that good of a filler at 31 because by the time he's 33/34 we're still lacking another gap. A player like Debuchy (this only for an example sake) is 26. That's the right age for the player we need to help that transition. Okay so maybe he'll cost £3-4million more but his wages would be considerably less and rotation with himself an Ivanovic would work a lot better imo.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and Maicon exceeds what I expect (should we sign him), I simply suggest there's better alternatives out there.

LDN 26 is a horrible age for us because he'll be here for around 7 years and we don't want that. We want a player who will be here for about 2-3 years so the two right backs we have in our system (Who i rate by the way) can have a chance.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maicon could be a great buy for us.He would probably stay here for 12 to 24 months and in that time the development of Hutchinson could come in really handy for the future.Signing the Brazilian would let RDM play Iva as center back when needed and at the same time have a reliable right back in the team.If you ask me,we should definitely sign him.

Maicon could be a great buy for us.He would probably stay here for 12 to 24 months and in that time the development of Hutchinson could come in really handy for the future.Signing the Brazilian would let RDM play Iva as center back when needed and at the same time have a reliable right back in the team.If you ask me,we should definitely sign him.

That is 100% correct ! If he's struggling then IVO can be shifted to right back with Cahill and Terry in the middle. We have variation and one of the things that attracts me to this signing is his size. He's as big physically as Cahill and he's athletic and that is what we need in a team full of small players. He'll give us an extra option in the box which is a great help because i can't see many of the other players wanting to head balls out of the area.

Yes he is. He is 3rd choice CB! could even be 4th Choice if Maicon can take the RB position and Ivanovic puts in some good performances at CB, it would push Cahill down even further.

No, he isn't. A "back-up" player is someone who you will turn to when needed, and is only used in circumstances that can't be avoided. Cahill, you could argue, is our second best centre half behind Terry. The two of them seem to have formed a partnership, and I'm sure Di Matteo will have noticed that so that they will play the bigger games alongside one another. David Luiz has bags of potential but he still hasn't shown the maturity needed to be a top player in the Premier League. In my opinion, Cahill ranks above the Brazilian in the pecking order.

My argument still stands, though: Cahill, Luiz and Terry are our primary centre backs. None of whom are "back ups".

No im saying the reason why Pirlo was so good last season wasn't because he has alot of experience but due to the fact that he is a quality player and has been for most of his career! He hasn't just suddenly become a quality player because he has alot of experience! :doh:

Pirlo wouldn't be anywhere near as effective if it wasn't for his experience. He may have been a good player, but what makes him a great player is his awareness, vision and decision-making, all of which improve significantly through experience - especially the latter. I've never said that he's "suddenly" become a quality player due to experience, but to think that Pirlo's ability hasn't improved over time is ludicrous.

No, he isn't. A "back-up" player is someone who you will turn to when needed, and is only used in circumstances that can't be avoided. Cahill, you could argue, is our second best centre half behind Terry. The two of them seem to have formed a partnership, and I'm sure Di Matteo will have noticed that so that they will play the bigger games alongside one another. David Luiz has bags of potential but he still hasn't shown the maturity needed to be a top player in the Premier League. In my opinion, Cahill ranks above the Brazilian in the pecking order.

My argument still stands, though: Cahill, Luiz and Terry are our primary centre backs. None of whom are "back ups".

why are you taking the term 'back up' so literal? Cahill is 3rd choice CB! which means when Terry and Luiz are both fully fit they will play ahead of Cahill. Simple.

why are you taking the term 'back up' so literal? Cahill is 3rd choice CB! which means when Terry and Luiz are both fully fit they will play ahead of Cahill. Simple.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise you were Di Matteo and could predict the line-up...

Cahill and Terry are the strongest centre-back pairing we have available. Who says Luiz is a guaranteed starter? No-one. It's your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Gary Cahill is definitely not a "back-up" player.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were Di Matteo and could predict the line-up...

Cahill and Terry are the strongest centre-back pairing we have available. Who says Luiz is a guaranteed starter? No-one. It's your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Gary Cahill is definitely not a "back-up" player.

My word! Are you serious??? Ever since Cahill signed he has been 3rd choice behind Luiz and Terry! Its not about predicting the line up its more to do with knowing my team!!! You can think all you want that Cahill and Terry will be first choice but the truth is Luiz is ahead of Cahill in the pecking order whether you like it or not! Cahill is class and will get plenty of games as JT is getting on a bit! But when everyone of fully fit you can almost guarantee Luiz and Terry will start!

Chelsea fc official twitter has just posted a blog about how a 31 year old can still prove to be essential.

Chelsea FC@chelseafc

On the blog: A 31-YEAR-OLD SIGNING CAN STILL PROVE TO BE ESSENTIAL http://bit.ly/Re5D8p #CFCblog

Dont know if it means anything i'll guess we'll wait and see.

Are people actually saying that its a problem that we wont have any sell-value on Maicon later on? With a pricetag between 5-10m (as Ive understood it is) we dont need to cash in on him, for the love of god. Stop it with these silly comments already.

Have people been brainwashed lately? Isnt a player good enough if he doesnt cost above 30m?

Are people actually saying that its a problem that we wont have any sell-value on Maicon later on? With a pricetag between 5-10m (as Ive understood it is) we dont need to cash in on him, for the love of god. Stop it with these silly comments already.

Have people been brainwashed lately? Isnt a player good enough if he doesnt cost above 30m?

:carlo:

Most of the people who don't want Maicon would actually prefer the cheaper alternative Debuchy so I fail to see your point. Personally I would be fine either way and I can see the pros and cons of both choices.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You