The Next Manager?

22 hours ago, Pizy said:

Where is this announcement? Everyone briefed that it was done last Friday and said it would be announced early the next week.

Well?

Am I the only one who really doesn't care?

When something is so clearly happening given all the smoke that's enough for me, I reserve my stress for deals with genuine jeopardy attached like Enzo's saga.

Edited by Tomo

14 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Am I the only one who really doesn't care?

When something is so clearly happening given all the smoke that's enough for me, I reserve my stress for deals with genuine jeopardy attached like Enzo's saga.

Oh, I’m not stressed or worried. Just puzzled as to what’s taking so long to announce it. I was expecting it Tuesday at the latest.

6 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Oh, I’m not stressed or worried. Just puzzled as to what’s taking so long to announce it. I was expecting it Tuesday at the latest.

If they can drag it out far enough you will not have fans clamoring for Poch to take over before July 1st. I really do not want to see him take over before they trim the squad. 

As a baseline I’m not fussed if he wins anything, if he can get this young squad firing and integrated in the next two years to where Spurs were, I’d be happy with us returning back to the ruthless model of having someone else to take that jump, if he’s not capable.

Watched a clip recently of Rickie Lambert on fitness under Poch, he’ll either get us firing or he will lose the players.

One real concern for me has and will always be losing the Rudi’s and the Jorgi’s, not because he’s some world class CB or CM, he can be under the right system, but day to day leaders like that. 

1 hour ago, DH1988 said:

As a baseline I’m not fussed if he wins anything, if he can get this young squad firing and integrated in the next two years to where Spurs were, I’d be happy with us returning back to the ruthless model of having someone else to take that jump, if he’s not capable.

Watched a clip recently of Rickie Lambert on fitness under Poch, he’ll either get us firing or he will lose the players.

One real concern for me has and will always be losing the Rudi’s and the Jorgi’s, not because he’s some world class CB or CM, he can be under the right system, but day to day leaders like that. 

I see similarities between Poch and Ranieri in terms of rebuilding the squad with a younger contingent and in turn overseeing the development of these players and their growth into leaders within the squad themselves. 

Ranieri was given the keys that first season to see if he could take that next level and couldn't. If Poch can stabilise the club for the next couple of years where we're back in the top 4 and challenging for trophies, whilst overseeing the development of a lot of younger players, he'll be given the opportunity to see if he can take that next level with us of winning the league back. I feel if the first bit is done right, he'll be given ample chance to prove his credentials in that regard - the owners showed more than enough patience with Potter to suggest Poch will be afforded time so long as we're not struggling in mid table again.

Regarding the loss of dressing room leaders, I would agree but I think Poch will put a lot of emphasis on some of the younger boys at the club stepping up and filling that void like he did at Spurs. Players like James and Mount (if he stays) are at a stage now where they should be taking on more responsibility within the dressing room. 

I have not especially cared too much for Poch during his time at Spuds and PSG. He appeared decent enough building that reasonable Spuds generation. At PSG he did not win anything that had not been expected. What I read about his mentality, methods and also his overall CV he looks a lot like a poor man's Tuchel. We will obviously not win any titles anytime soon but maybe he can do what he did at Spuds and at least built a new spine and get us back to CL. Over there, he took players with a limited skillset like Moura, Walker-Peters, sissoko, winks and made them into pretty usable players and he took talented players like Walker, Kane, Son to wc level or at least have them perform at their highes tpossible level for the time he was there like Dele alli, vertonghen, alderweireld. Overall, Spuds are still drawing on those evolutionary but ultimately fruitless Poch years. Let's hope he can achieve something similar and built the foundation for someone to bring back a winning mentality to this club.

I love how in 6 months the club has degraded to pre-Roman times. It pretty much comes down to "Sack Tuchel, then spend hundreds of millions and three years to get to halfway to the level we were under Tuchel". We had our laugh with GP and "vision" bullshit, but with all the money spent and players shifting I expect nothing less, than being fixed top 4 from the first game.

Edited by Vegetable

7 hours ago, Vegetable said:

I love how in 6 months the club has degraded to pre-Roman times. It pretty much comes down to "Sack Tuchel, then spend hundreds of millions and three years to get to halfway to the level we were under Tuchel". We had our laugh with GP and "vision" bullshit, but with all the money spent and players shifting I expect nothing less, than being fixed top 4 from the first game.

we were playing like shit under Tuchel when he was sacked, and he has been fairly poor at Bayern

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

we were playing like shit under Tuchel when he was sacked, and he has been fairly poor at Bayern

The answer wasn't hiring a shitty manager for big money, and pretending he was a world class one. 

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

We were, but still, we were concerned about top4, not not getting relegated and maybe qualify for any Europe games next season… 

44 minutes ago, Henrique said:

The answer wasn't hiring a shitty manager for big money, and pretending he was a world class one. 

4 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

We were, but still, we were concerned about top4, not not getting relegated and maybe qualify for any Europe games next season… 

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

All true. It is a bit of a riddle. While I do think we would have somehow crept to a 4th place finish under TT, his problems at Bayern resemble the ones we have had with him here too closely. Most striking is that he is completely at a loss why we or Bayern often either failed to turn up or completely lost focus after taking the lead. I just watched a lengthy interview in which he was very salty but everything he said sounded so familiar. He said the training week had been great, the atmosphere was focused, fitness levels were top but he had no idea why the urgency was lacking for most of the game. Maybe there is just some disconnect between him and his teams that only becomes obvious whenever they face resistance. Maybe it is not him but it is the players who have some mental blockade after the world cup. Would not be the first time. Top teams all over the world except City are struggling to consistently string wins together....

But back to us. Even though I do not think keeping him would have prevented the problems we had, I believe he should have at least deserved a shot with a rejuvenated squad. TT's problem was always burning out the players, which was evident last season. The fresh ones might have provided some new impetus. Under GP everyone sucked pretty much equitably. But GP was never gonna work anyway, even if the owners had not dumped all those players on him and undermined his authority at every opportunity. He never had the format this much was clear from the get go. The Pochettino appointment is at least a step forward.

11 hours ago, Vegetable said:

To be honest, since 2012 the club went on an erratic direction. I firmly believe that hiring Mourinho again in 2013 and Conte in 2016 was a costly decision. I mean, the club was slowly moving from physical squad + "marquee players" approach and started to invest in promising + skilled players. Back in the day it seemed the club was building a squad for Guardiola, then, when he decided that Bayern was a better destination, the club hired the anti-Guardiola. I mean, at some point mourinho had Juan Mata, KDB, Lukaku and Salah on his squad. One season later, all of them were gone. Then, we bought Costa and Fabregas, and even though we won the PL for the first time in 5 years, those decisions showed a club that was lacking any kind of long term strategy or a clear path.

When Mourinho was sacked, we were interest in different managers with different football philosophies. For example, the Sampaoli was interviewed and at some point he was considered the number 1 option, but due to his poor english, the club appointed Conte. I mean, again the club was lacking any kind of clear path. 

Conte won the PL in his first year, but after the whole Costa saga it was clear he tenure would be short, and it was also clear there was something wrong inside the club. Conte decided by himself to "fire" Costa from the team, without consulting the club hierarchy, and this happened because there was no synergy between the manager and the board. Instead of firing Conte asap, the club decided to give him a full season despited of a relationship that was broken beyond repair. Conte spent the whole season moaning and complaining in his conferences. Just like Mourinho, Conte barely used any player from academy and most of young and "promising" player that were bought during those years spent years on loan somewhere else and never had any chance of proving their value inside the club.

After Conte, there was Sarri. The only problem was: a manager like Sarri came in 5 years too late. When Sarri decided to move back to Italy, the club came up with the baffling decision to appoint Frank Lampard as the head coach. To be honest, I do believe that hiring Lampard in 2018 was even worse than hiring Graham Potter. Lampard is one of the worst managers in PL history. Then, we appointed Tuchel, another "short term results" kind of appointment. 

Boehly doesn't have a clue about football, so there is no doubt that most of his decisions are based on the advice of people inside the club. I would say that most of his decisions this season are decisions that you could easily see the club making under the previous ownership in recent years. This season is actually pretty similar to what happened in 2015/2016 season, and I would say that season was even worse because in the beginning of it everyone was picking us to easily win the PL again.

Yeah, Boehly took it to another new level, but lets not pretend the club was in a great shape before. After 2012, something went wrong along the way and City left us behind. Boehly mistakes are basically hiring a terrible manager + paying big money for average players, not really different from that the club have been doing in past 10 years. After Potter fiasco, its clear the club will name a head coach with previous experience in a big club, exactly the same pattern we saw in past 12 or 15 years: club hires a "promising" manager without previous experience in a big club - "promising" manager is a fiasco and is fired - club appoint an interim - club hires a manager with previous experience in a big club.

I would say the biggest difference right now is that before we used to get 2 or 3 expensive average players per season, while Boehly got something like 20 of them in a single season.