The Next Manager?

4 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Really tought he would wait until end of season, it’s no gift to take over this team with games against city, united and Newcastle..

He won’t be managing those games 

9 hours ago, lucio said:

Atalanta one 

Idk man, scored 7 goals in 30 games in Serie A. Really nothing that gets me off my seat.

By the way: quick comparison:

League goals in the last 3 seasons -

• Osimhen: 47
  • Martinez: 58

Really looking forward to next season now and intrigued to see how he'll fare here.

I was always a bit sour on him being a possibility but having read a number of things on him, I do think the position this club is in currently and the group of players we have, on paper he appears to be a very solid choice.

I think the timing is right for him too, as one of my fears was that he would not be afforded any sort of time being ex-Spurs and the first sign of poor performance or a bad result could see fans turn very easily, but after the season we've had, I think there will be a much softer feeling around that too. If anything I think a lot of fans will be happy to embrace him now because he's such a big upgrade on Potter and Lampard.

Let's get this squad trimmed this summer and see what he can do. He's going to have a full pre season, and an uninterrupted season without European football to really stamp his mark on this squad, build relations, time on the training pitch, etc. I do believe without European football and one or two key additions, top 4 should be very feasible next season and that should be the primary aim next year. But I'd also like to see a squad that is fit and plays with purpose and intensity on the front foot from the kick off, something I feel the club has lost and lacked probably for the last 18 months. 

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

We signed so many players that everyone wanted here and look where we are. Maybe some of us aren't the talent scouts we think we are. 

Maybe I'm wrong about 3 of them but Declan is an absolute average player who has no business playing for a top team and no one can convince me otherwise.

Edited by TheHulk

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

No top team approached him? 

How many top teams have had job openings in these last 12 months though? Besides the Chelsea and Spurs jobs I can only think of Bayern and that seemed to be a decision made purely on the basis of Tuchel being available. Not sure what else has come up.

The curious one to be honest is why Spurs didn't go back for him. Can only think that there was perhaps a bigger falling out than was made out between him and Levy, or Levy is that stubborn that he isn't willing to admit it was a mistake getting rid of him as you'd think bringing him back would have been an easy deal to make and a bit of a crowd pleaser with their fans.

Hopefully Poch can come here and win some trophies to really rub some salt into their wounds.

On 13/05/2023 at 22:06, Reddish-Blue said:

if we're talking about world cup, Mount was hopeless when he was on the pitch for England and as soon as Southgate benched him, they looked like a different team with Foden in the starting XI...

It's always hard to judge players on their world cup performance (e.g. Ziyech for his country and Ziyech for Chelsea is two completely different players)

Coun't agree more.

It's also balance: England has a much more defensive-minded midfield than most clubs (esp with Rice in there) often with 3 CMs. So, they really need a far more attacking-minded player in that position -- Grealish does not work either because he's a runner/carrier.

Ziyech is a more difficult one, but I suspect it's one of those cases of the whole teams playing for a player.

Another good enough is G. Jesus... absolutely baller in the PL and plays like shit for Brazil.

Edited by robsblubot

9 hours ago, Superblue said:

How many top teams have had job openings in these last 12 months though? Besides the Chelsea and Spurs jobs I can only think of Bayern and that seemed to be a decision made purely on the basis of Tuchel being available. Not sure what else has come up.

Manchester United.. Poch was strongly linked with them this time last year.

Interesting that he wants more "control", what does that mean exactly? Boehly and owners staying further from squad (not coming to dressing room)? Surely can't be direct decision making power in who we sign as otherwise what's the point in all the staff we've built there?

It should be pretty simple, TB and BE should look after the off field issues and moving the club forward, let Vivell and Winstanley stay close to Poch but most of all let him take charge and do his job.

TB and BE keep your fucking noses out of the football and trust the people you are employing