The Next Manager?

57 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

As I remember Kante has always been a pure box to box even at Leicester Drinkwater was always the deeper of the two, I'm not saying rice is the only midfielder we should get, but people saying he's crap haven't a clue what they are talking about. 

The only thing I've noticed watching West Ham a few times this season (my brother in law is unfortunately a hammer) is that Rice does seem to play a similar role to this also for West Ham. I find he's regularly more of a box to box and Soucek ends up sitting more like Matic used to in our midfield.  They interchange a little but West Ham do seem to like to try and utilise Rice as the more dynamic of the two to push on at times when they counter attack. 

My biggest worry with Rice is that evolution in a team that are regularly set up defensively to try and hit on a counter attack against higher lines, compared to a top team playing with much more of the ball and looking to break teams down. I know this will be primarily Enzo's role to dictate play from deep but Rice still needs to prove he has that part of his game in his locker. There are times I watch him and he looks like he has that and other times he can look very limited in that area of his game.

Whether it's Rice or someone else though, I would like to see a physical presence in that midfield which Rice definitely would provide. We've become such a small team over the past few seasons that just looks like it could end up getting bullied by some teams (and I feel at times that's what happens). 

1 hour ago, YorkshireBlue said:

As I remember Kante has always been a pure box to box even at Leicester Drinkwater was always the deeper of the two, I'm not saying rice is the only midfielder we should get, but people saying he's crap haven't a clue what they are talking about. 

Isn’t soucek their more defensive mid? 

DB85A1EC-5442-4EA8-A229-536D76E14BD8.jpeg

30 minutes ago, lucio said:

Isn’t soucek their more defensive mid? 

DB85A1EC-5442-4EA8-A229-536D76E14BD8.jpeg

Maybe at club level time to time at West ham, but I'm fairly sure in an England shirt he sits deep and allows, the likes of Bellingham to play further forward.

2 hours ago, lucio said:

Having a good passing accuracy % on who scored doesn’t make him a great passer.  It also lists passing as a major strength of kante and it definitely isn’t 

What makes a player a great passer then?

7 hours ago, Gundalf said:

I guess he refers to one creative, dangerous pass being worth 100 properly executed random backpasses to the defender and it's hard to reflect this in stats. 

7 hours ago, Gundalf said:

Someone who passes quickly and efficiently especially under pressure. River doesn’t have the composure , skill or intelligence to be a number 6 at the highest level. Better of using him as a box to box charging around the pitch if anything 

20 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Maybe at club level time to time at West ham, but I'm fairly sure in an England shirt he sits deep and allows, the likes of Bellingham to play further forward.

Put it this way, Declan Rice would be a luxury signing at the price tag West Ham want.   

Feel like there are plenty of other positions on the pitch that need to be looked at (e.g. a good goalkeeper, a good finisher up front) before we go and get mugged off by West Ham and end up paying them 120 million for Declan Rice (even though the nearest other offer would be from Arsenal at 70 million). 

No different to Mudryk (apparently Arsenal's offer was only 50 million + add-ons) and yet they somehow got us to spend 70 million on him...

13 hours ago, lucio said:

Someone who passes quickly and efficiently especially under pressure. River doesn’t have the composure , skill or intelligence to be a number 6 at the highest level. Better of using him as a box to box charging around the pitch if anything 

I dont care about a passing DM. Thats literally Enzos job. We need someone that relieves pressure from the back 4. Someone that blocks attacks, intercepts balls before the opponent can run torwards them. Someone that just adds security for the attacking players to do their thing. How many years have we conceded goals now bc our midfield has been overrun time after time. We dont need another Jorginho, Kovacic, Enzo type of midfielder, we need a defensive minded DM that stays in position and breaks and absorbs the opponents attacks. And Rice is that. He is leading the PL statistic for interceptions by quite some margin. The first Chelsea player on that list is in P66 (Thiago), so our squad is massively lacking that skill and quality that Rice could add.  

Its also a myth that Rice only does backward and sideward passes. He is outperforming Caicedo in terms on forward passes and created chances btw.

I would be fine with Caicedo also but name me a DM that offers the needed defensive stability and adds more passing creativity that is actually a realistic transfer target.  

A fact that we should also consider is experience. We have so many players with little to no PL experience in our squad that need more experienced players to guide them. Thiago will go into his last season, a lot of the more experienced players will leave the club in the summer. Not a lot of players will be over 23.

And Rice, even tho hes still quite young, has a lot of PL experience - over 200 PL games, 41 games for England, compared to the 27 of Lavia and 31 of Caicedo. I think we should search for more experience in certain areas (especially midfield), a succesfull team is a team with a good mixture.

Rice has more PL games than Lavia, Caicedo, Colwill, Chalobah, Mudryk, Madueke, Felix, Badiashile, Enzo, Chukwuemeka and D. Fofana have COMBINED😂

14 minutes ago, Jype said:

He can stay fit, yes.

Damn yes:

image.png.4da3c1934a11163af290fb3ebc2a2f5d.png

Edited by Gundalf

2 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Our players won't like him. 

Same thing came to my mind after watching this video. If Boehly doesn't put an end to player power at this club, we might be looking for another manager before Christmas.

26 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Same thing came to my mind after watching this video. If Boehly doesn't put an end to player power at this club, we might be looking for another manager before Christmas.

Yep, especially considering Potter was giving them 2 days off after defeat.