Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Surprised to see him mentioned for MOTM. The goal was pretty awesome, but even though I couldn't watch the match properly, I could see he was out of position a few times and he completely lost Okore for the goal, he didn't even know where he is.

Credit to Ivanovic for popping up with the winner on Saturday. However, on the other hand, he was found wanting again defensively for Okore's goal. Was marking him at first but then completely lost him and caught ball watching as the ball came into the penalty area.

Absolutely hopeless and Mourinho praised him so much after the game for scoring the winner, almost turning a blind eye on the fact that it was him who made the mistake for Villa's goal in the first place and caused us to go search for the winning goal. :doh:

In my opinion normally I'd say rule one of defending crosses... don't let the cross come in!! Although in all fairness fair play to Carles Gil for throwing Oscar to create the yard of space, was great skill but a bit easy, mentioned that he could create something for Villa in the thread before the game. Ivanovic at least said in the interview he wasn't happy with his performance so he knows he could do better.

In my opinion normally I'd say rule one of defending crosses... don't let the cross come in!! Although in all fairness fair play to Carles Gil for throwing Oscar to create the yard of space, was great skill but a bit easy, mentioned that he could create something for Villa in the thread before the game. Ivanovic at least said in the interview he wasn't happy with his performance so he knows he could do better.

1. Thought Oscar should have done better. Was beaten a tad too easily by Gil.

2. Ivanovic should have been marking Okore till the danger is completely gone and not just stand there and be some sort of headless chicken.

3. Action speaks louder than words. He could have said his performances haven't been good for the past few months to himself but until he actually shows improvement on the pitch, then his words mean nothing.

1. Thought Oscar should have done better. Was beaten a tad too easily by Gil.

2. Ivanovic should have been marking Okore till the danger is completely gone and not just stand there and be some sort of headless chicken.

3. Action speaks louder than words. He could have said his performances haven't been good for the past few months to himself but until he actually shows improvement on the pitch, then his words mean nothing.

Apart from switching off for their goal, Bane was excellent defensively.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho praises Branislav Ivanovic

"He came immediately after I left and after that he made a fantastic contribution for this club. He is a competitive animal with a big heart,” he said.

"What really matters more is what we as a club feel for him and people like John (Terry) and (Gary) Cahill, guys that without them, you cannot do anything.

“A team is an artist like (Eden) Hazard, it is a defender like Branislav. The mix and combination of talent makes a team.

"Every striker in the world would be proud to score that magnificent goal, it is an amazing goal.

“When he scores that goal and it is three or four nil it is a different feeling. He is a great guy, what he is doing for us is unbelievable."

That's settled it, he will start in every game :ph34r:

I'm sorry, but he just frustrates me so much. When the going gets tough, he can frequently turn in excellent (sometimes match-winning) performances; when he is feeling the pressure he often rises to the occasion. This is why so many fans (and Mourinho himself) hold him in such high regard.

However, I maintain that a player as prone to losing concentration as he is should simply not be guaranteed starts every single game, regardless of the qualities he may possess. Many of us have noted with annoyance that the team seems particularly prone to throwing away leads this season, and that problem is going to persist if Mourinho continues to let Ivanovic get away with his lax defensive play.

Yesteday's game is a case in point; the team appeared to be attempting to cruise through the game after having taken a one-goal lead, and all it took was for Ivanovic to completely lose Okore (whom he was clearly supposed to be man-marking) in the box and we had lost our lead. Of course, Ivanovic then proceeded to clean up his mess with the game-winning goal, and I DO give him credit for that, but I would rather find myself giving him credit for a game in which he defended well and contributed to a clean-sheet instead.

Completely agree with this. There's nothing more infuriating than the team losing throwing away 3 pnts due to lax defending. It drives me insane. We're 1 goal up, the team is cruising to a victory, the opponent is hardly posing any threat, everything is under control, everything is going according to plan, 3 points almost in the bag then Ivanovic switches off or fails to close down a cross, the opposition scores, the momentum then swings to them, the crowd suddenly finds their voice and the noise becomes deafening, the opposition begins slicing through the midfield at will, the defence is scrambling, Cahill begins moonwalking, they equalize and soon after they score again. Just like that, what would have been a comfortable victory ends in mayhem due to one moment of lax defending. I feel like I've seen this team throw away 3 points in this fashion so many times, I can write a book. The thing is, the approach Jose uses to see-out games depends heavily on every player keeping their concentration and sticking to their roles but Iva switches off too often.

Mourinho must be aware of it but he still persists with him so he clearly brings way too many vital qualities that's important to Mourinho's setup. I think he's Mourinho's most important defender and I don't see him ever being dropped regardless of how many goals we concede due to his lapses in concentration.

He is a beast and scores some realy crucial goals, was also world class defender, but this year he made some stupid mistakes again and again. Leaving position, defending crosses, wrong pass in dangerous areas...

I love his spirit and will, but Mou should be careful with overpraising Iva.

Iva NEEDS to improve his defending, but with all these praises from Mou and knowing he has guaranteed place, I doubt much if anything will be improved.

He is a beast and scores some realy crucial goals, was also world class defender, but this year he made some stupid mistakes again and again. Leaving position, defending crosses, wrong pass in dangerous areas...

I love his spirit and will, but Mou should be careful with overpraising Iva.

Iva NEEDS to improve his defending, but with all these praises from Mou and knowing he has guaranteed place, I doubt much if anything will be improved.

It's contentious to say that Branslav only had one great season as an amazing defender. 09/10.

If a bloodied foot makes him a warrior, I wonder what that makes the players of full-contact sports like rugby league, rugby union and hockey.

Though it has to be said, its very hard to play once you feel severe pain in your foot.

Not impossible but very uncomfortable and painful.

I played football since I was little and damaged finger on my left foot (im leftie too). It wasnt broken, more like disjointed after I took heavy hit, but I felt serious pain every time i touched the ball after that.

I only recovered in about week, but every match same story...I didnt play for about month then and once I returned, first game was ok, but pain came back after few games. So I had to stop playing football on "pro" level...now I play for hobby once in a while, its ok but could return any time.

I had back injury and broken arm, but nothing was as painful as leg. It just makes you dislike playing football because it starts hurting as fuck every time you kick the ball.

If you have pain in foot and still play, like Iva, its something to give an applause.

Now basically Jose's Lampard/Drogba, untouchable. Think he is set to start for a long time to come(at least 2-3 years) unless he starts a huge decline and can't run anymore or something.

Would say when he can't defend anymore but we're already past that stage :lol:

Brana is a great player and Chelsea legend. Arguably the best RB in the Premier League. He didn't deserve (and doesn't) all the stick he was getting from some people a couple of weeks ago. It's not that hard to understand that a full-back who is instructed by his manager to overlap all the time sometimes gets caught out.