Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Think Roman put money in to cover for the loss? IIRC, it was mentioned in one of the recent The Athletic podcasts. 

it was a £97m loss

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/12/31/chelsea-fc-financial-results

in 2018 we made £62m in profit

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/12/31/chelsea-fc-financial-results-show-record-revenues

in 2017 we made a £15m profit

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2017/12/29/financial-results-announced-with-record-revenues-#:~:text=Chelsea FC plc today announced,increase of 9.8 per cent.

FFP is based off a rolling 3 year review

the max loss allowed loss allowed for 3 years is 30m euros total (£25m)

add those 3 years up, and we squeaked by with a £20m cumulative loss

as for pure monies in and out from transfers

Assuming Werner costs £53/60m euros  (not the £49m /55m euros I have seen quoted as well)

we are down to 

£74m in the net kitty (as we had £127m after the Kovacic and Ziyech buys, giving a running total that I have kept for ages)

that £74m is explained to a point at the link below (that link is pre Werner buy so you can adjust accordingly)

We will soon know where we stand in terms of the the fiscal year that soon ends (on June 30th, 2020)

obviously none of us have a clue as to the true bottom line, as we do not have access to the club's books

we shall soon see

Yeah, I can understand being against us spending Harry Maguire money on Chilwell (I am, too!) but I don't get people slating his actual quality. His form had gone off the boil which also coincided with the whole Leicester team going off the boil. But there's a reason he's the most sought after fullback for both Lamps and Pep. He's got every attribute to become a world class fullback. If Liverpool didn't have Roberston already I'm sure they'd be sniffing around, too.
He'd lock our fullback pairing in for the next handful of years at least. 
Defensively hes poor and the money is crazy. Tagliafico is clearly the better option all round

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

it was a £97m loss
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/12/31/chelsea-fc-financial-results-show-record-revenues
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2017/12/29/financial-results-announced-with-record-revenues-#:~:text=Chelsea FC plc today announced,increase of 9.8 per cent.
Assuming Werner costs £53/60m euros  (not the £49m /55m euros I have seen quoted as well)
we are down to 
£74m in the net kitty (as we had £127m after the Kovacic and Ziyech buys, giving a running total that I have kept for ages)
that £74m is explained to a point at the link below (that link is pre Werner buy so you can adjust accordingly)
We will soon know where we stand in terms of the the fiscal year that soon ends (on June 30th, 2020)
obviously none of us have a clue as to the true bottom line, as we do not have access to the club's books
we shall soon see

You think that UEFA will make some new FFP rules for Corona due to the fact that some clubs might struggle ?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Kepa replacement or backup?

@Vesper I know rates a lot this guy.

he has replacement potential

I rate Uğurcan Çakır and Predrag Rajković as my two top smart GK buys

these two posts were pre COVID in terms of utter chaos

12 minutes ago, Vesper said:

it was a £97m loss

we are down to 

we shall soon see

There is apparently a 5 million difference in Werner's release clause, depending on whether RB Leipzig qualify for the Champions League but that is just a small amount.

I assume or believe we are financially stable considering the club have not furloughed any staff, have been helping out charities, continue to pay the players' and staff's wages in full, looking to spend big out of nowhere despite the pandemic. And that is without even mentioning the money to be gained from potential summer sales.

27 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Defensively hes poor and the money is crazy. Tagliafico is clearly the better option all round

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say he's poor defensively, just average. He's the typical modern fullback. Very good going forward, mediocre defensively. Look at TAA at Liverpool. He can absolutely be gotten at defensively by quality attackers. Marcelo the same. Kyle Walker the same.

There are very few who are world class at both. 

There are not many great full backs especially left backs in the PL. Guys like Rose (twice!), Alonso, Shaw, Bertrand being in the PL TOTY prove this statement. 

Chilwell looked very good earlier but he dropped in form lately. I remember how much we praised him after England:Montenegro game when he had 3 assists. That was less than 7 months ago and we do not even have footy last 3 months.

On 06/06/2020 at 10:50 PM, King Kante said:

So, where does everyone stand on what else we need for next season if Werner does get over the line? I would say we still need (in no order); 

GK1

CB1

LB1

No.6 

GK Uğurcan Çakır or Predrag Rajković

CB Try like  hell for Romagnoli (seeing as so many do not rate Gabriel and think Salisu is too raw) IF we do not go for a left-footed one then I say Skriniar should be top of the list on a COVID discount (yes, I know that either truly puts paid to Havertz, but Bayer did that already with their 100m euros or fuck off demands) Edmond Tapsoba is another CB to REALLY think about, but, like Gabriel and Salisu, is young, although he looks REALLY polished already. My other WC CB's are too expensive or are impossible to pull (Varane, José Giménez, Marquinhos, or too old for the cost, ie Koulibaly)

LB Swap Emerson for Alex Sandro (if not, as Chilwell at even £60m is outrageous, then Theo Hernandez, who Irate as a better buy that Nicolás Tagliafico, Theo is around 6 years younger, bigger, (1.84m versus 1.72m) faster, stronger) Telles is now being chased by too many teams Manchester City 'join race for Alex Telles'  Alaba perhaps but I fear Bayern will want Chilwell level cash, although Alaba is also a left-footed CB atm, so there is that to consider. I think he might be overwhelmed at CB in the EPL though, as he is only 1.80m tall and not the strongest bloke.Robin Gosens is also in the mix.

DMF Sandro Tonali FTW (or Thomas Partey as a the 2nd option) Kante looks like he is going to fuck us hard (ie not play due to COVID, let us all hope not) Toss Denis Zakaria in the mix as well.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

On one hand, I can understand why fans are concerned with how much the club pay for a player but on the other hand, I don't understand why fans are so concerned about it when they aren't the ones who are splashing out the money. :dunno:

FFP

take that away (and still realistic in terms of who we simply cannot buy, like Mbappe, Varane, Alphonso Davies)

and my splash the cash like Scarface starting XI

GK Oblak

CB Romagnoli

CB Skriniar

LB David Alaba

RB Reece

DMF Sandro Tonali

CMF Saúl Ñíguez

AMF Havertz

LW Sancho

RW Ziyech

CF Werner

53 minutes ago, Vesper said:

GK Uğurcan Çakır or Predrag Rajković

CB Try like  hell for Romagnoli (seeing as so many do not rate Gabriel and think Salisu is too raw) IF we do not go for a left-footed one then I say Skriniar should be top of the list on a COVID discount (yes, I know that either truly puts paid to Havertz, but Bayer did that already with their 100m euros or fuck off demands) Edmond Tapsoba is another CB to REALLY think about, but, like Gabriel and Salisu, is young, although he looks REALLY polished already. My other WC CB's are too expensive or are impossible to pull (Varane, José Giménez, Marquinhos, or too old for the cost, ie Koulibaly)

LB Swap Emerson for Alex Sandro (if not, as Chilwell at even £60m is outrageous, then Theo Hernandez, who Irate as a better buy that Nicolás Tagliafico, Theo is around 6 years younger, bigger, (1.84m versus 1.72m) faster, stronger) Telles is now being chased by too many teams Manchester City 'join race for Alex Telles'  Alaba perhaps but I fear Bayern will want Chilwell level cash, although Alaba is also a left-footed CB atm, so there is that to consider. I think he might be overwhelmed at CB in the EPL though, as he is only 1.80m tall and not the strongest bloke.Robin Gosens is also in the mix.

DMF Sandro Tonali FTW (or Thomas Partey as a the 2nd option) Kante looks like he is going to fuck us hard (ie not play due to COVID, let us all hope not) Toss Denis Zakaria in the mix as well.

With GK I know the two mentioned have good stats but have you seen them play enough to make judgements about their ability to control their six yard area? I ask because if we get another GK I want one that comes off his line to get the ball and not another one that stands like a wimpy child on his line too scared to come out like Kepa. 

I cannot see Sandro (too old now as we never seem to buy players over 28 for decent money), Hernandez or Alaba. Gosen's, when I have watched him, remind's me of a only slightly faster version of Alonso but without the technique that Alonso has in striking the ball. So, not sure people wouldn't be on his back like they are with Alonso. Personally, I still think there is a chance with Telles. I say this as he pretty much hits every aspect we are looking for in a LB (ok maybe not the greatest at 1on1 defending) and is a reasonable price. Further, it is pretty clear the press have absolutely no idea what we are up to transfer wise until it is done, so I am not buying we are dead set on Chilwell. 

Agree on Romagnoli being No.1 choice but fairly certain he will not leave Italy. Personally, I am not sure what the answer is at CB as all the top peak ones are taken, the top old ones are still super expensive and the top young one are either taken or super inexperienced.

Tonali looks great but he will end up at either Inter or Juve as hardly any young Italian's leave the country. Partey is a shout but I am not so sure we need a No.4 as I am pretty happy with what we've got. For me, we need more of a No.6 so would be inclined to go for SMS as he has both the size and technical ability in both feet we require (his pace and acceleration are a concern though). For me Harvetz (who is more of a No.8/AM) is Bayern/Real bound.

3 hours ago, Stats said:

I don't understand the objection against Chilwell. When Leicester beat us at the Bridge last season, he along with Pereira were the best players on the pitch. He was absolutely sensational. I have been studying him closely for past 3 seasons and I am surprised at all the criticism he gets. Open play, offensively, he is one of the best FB around. His crossing and passing is quite good too and seems people are forgetting he is just 23. In the few matches he has played for England also, he has looked very impressive. I think he is going to grow into a top LB. 

my objection is the £60 to £80m price tag that was been tossed out for damn near a year.

The only LB in the world I would spend £70m plus on atm is Alphonso Davies.

Robertson £60m (he turns 27 this coming season, so has only 3 full sub 30yo seasons left)

Alaba £40-45m or so, as he soon is 28. If he was 3 or 4 years younger, then he is an £80m player. in a normal market

Chilwell is worth £45-50m max in this COVID market, that 10, 20m (or more) extra is the fucking English tax, and I am not an into paying that very often.

I rate Theo Hernandez, Alaba (last year to buy him) above Chilwell (obviously Davies and Robertson too)

Almost every fullback goes to shit after they are over 30.

I have said and shown this 30 times or more since I joined.

I think Alex Sandro is a wee exception and has 3 decent years left in him, so I would not mind a straight swap for Emerson. Short term move, but 3 years of solid LB play is 3 more years than we have had since Ash left.

I would however, rather buy Theo or Alaba flat out.

If there was no FFP and I had 20 billion backing me, I would offer Bayern 100m euros for Davies. I think by the end of next season or so, he will be the best fullback in the world, even counting TAA. He is faster and far better defensively than TAA, and has crazy attacking winger skills. The kid is only 19 too. I have never seen a better fullback at that age on my life, and he has been playing there for only around 8 bloody months.

the 5 best players on the planet 21yo and under atm are

Mbappe (best player overall on the planet)

Sancho

Havertz

Håland

Davies

then

João Félix

Sandro Tonali

Eduardo Camavinga

Matthijs de Ligt

Nicolò Zaniolo

Achraf Hakimi

Ferran Torres    

Victor Osimhen

Ansu Fati

Christian Pulisic

Declan Rice

Ryan Gravenberch

Rodrygo 

Vinícius Júnior 

Dayot Upamecano

Reece James

Ibrahima Konaté

Gianluigi Donnarumma

CHO

Florentino

Martin Ödegaard

Samu Chukwueze

Mason Greenwood

Mohamed Ihattaren

Gabriel Martinelli

Dejan Kulusevski

Edmond Tapsoba

Marash Kumbulla

Boubakary Soumaré 

Alessandro Bastoni

Alexander-Arnold turns 22 near the start of next season

Federico Valverde turns 22 in a month and half

Houssem Aouar turns 22 in 3 weeks

Frenkie de Jong turned 23 3 weeks ago

Lautaro Martínez is 22, 23 in August

Marcus Rashford is 22yo

Federico Chiesa is 22yo

Aaron Wan-Bissaka is 22yo

Theo Hernández  is 22yo

7 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

There are not many great full backs especially left backs in the PL. Guys like Rose (twice!), Alonso, Shaw, Bertrand being in the PL TOTY prove this statement. 

Chilwell looked very good earlier but he dropped in form lately. I remember how much we praised him after England:Montenegro game when he had 3 assists. That was less than 7 months ago and we do not even have footy last 3 months.

In fairness I'd love the 15-17 version of Danny Rose here, his injuries and Walker being sold was the beginning of Tottenham's fall.

11 hours ago, Stats said:

I don't understand the objection against Chilwell. When Leicester beat us at the Bridge last season, he along with Pereira were the best players on the pitch. He was absolutely sensational. I have been studying him closely for past 3 seasons and I am surprised at all the criticism he gets. Open play, offensively, he is one of the best FB around. His crossing and passing is quite good too and seems people are forgetting he is just 23. In the few matches he has played for England also, he has looked very impressive. I think he is going to grow into a top LB. 

From my perspective I have never really understood the hate Alonso gets. For me, he isn't great at defending in a back 4 but he has an absolute wand of a left foot and scores and assists at a very high rate and is statistically one of the best in Europe for the past 3-4 years. As a LWB, he is very good and doesn't need replacing at all in my opinion. 

For that reason, if we do buy a LB I want them to a) be able to defend to a high level (or a much higher level than Alonso), B) Be very fast, c) Score and Assist at Alonso level. If we do not get a player that does this I do not see what the real point is in replacing Alonso as it is just going to continue to be a problematic area. Thus, for me Chilwell is about the same level at defending as Alonso, does not score and assist like he does but is faster. For me, I just do not see the logic in paying £40m+ on a player who is only really better than the FB we already have in terms of pace and isn't going to get the goals and assists he does.  

For me, Alonso takes a lot of stick but if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have got the win against Newcastle at home (as no one else has the technical ability to hit the shot he did with his left), we would have lost Bournemouth away (pretty clear why I think this) and against Tottenham (both home and away he was pretty much our best player). On top of this who thinks he would've missed that header like Emerson did against Bournemouth at home when it was 0-0? 

So, for me. Only bring me a LB that is clearly superior to Alonso and not one that is equally flawed and likely to cause even more issues but in other areas. 

8 minutes ago, King Kante said:

From my perspective I have never really understood the hate Alonso gets. For me, he isn't great at defending in a back 4 but he has an absolute wand of a left foot and scores and assists at a very high rate and is statistically one of the best in Europe for the past 3-4 years. As a LWB, he is very good and doesn't need replacing at all in my opinion. 

For that reason, if we do buy a LB I want them to a) be able to defend to a high level (or a much higher level than Alonso), B) Be very fast, c) Score and Assist at Alonso level. If we do not get a player that does this I do not see what the real point is in replacing Alonso as it is just going to continue to be a problematic area. Thus, for me Chilwell is about the same level at defending as Alonso, does not score and assist like he does but is faster. For me, I just do not see the logic in paying £40m+ on a player who is only really better than the FB we already have in terms of pace and isn't going to get the goals and assists he does.  

For me, Alonso takes a lot of stick but if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have got the win against Newcastle at home (as no one else has the technical ability to hit the shot he did with his left), we would have lost Bournemouth away (pretty clear why I think this) and against Tottenham (both home and away he was pretty much our best player). On top of this who thinks he would've missed that header like Emerson did against Bournemouth at home when it was 0-0? 

So, for me. Only bring me a LB that is clearly superior to Alonso and not one that is equally flawed and likely to cause even more issues but in other areas. 

I think a lot of the stick comes down to the fact he's been a regular starter. If he was used as more a squad/tactical option then it would be a different ball game as we couldn't really ask for more than what he does bring.

12 hours ago, Stats said:

While i don't deny he's good when on song my problem with him is (just like Marcos) he's far too streaky in his form fluctuations, and not only that, when he's bad he's very bad, you may aswell be playing with 10 men (a Leicester fan on Foxes Talk gave him a 2 one match then a 1 the next, the former rating was in itself the lowest rating he ever gave anyone).

If we splash out on a new LB it has to be a sure fire next level upgrade on Alonso.