Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

36 minutes ago, Artandur said:

Tbf Koulibaly, Fofana and Cucurella were before any of our current recruitment team was in and handled by a man who had never been in football before. 70m obviously is a huge fee for Mudryk, but i think the jury is very much still out on if we overpaid for him. In general i think our targets this window have been very encouraging, compared to the last years

We overpaid for all 4. One way or another. No doubt the clubs/agents seen Boehly coming a long way off and thought result. And no doubt many more will and we will oblige. 

Plus throw in the bid for Anthony Gordon as well in the summer - Jesus Christ, I suppose it could have been a lot lot worse but there is still convincing to do. For me, realistically only Badiashile, D. Fofana, Andre Santos and Madueke so far scream out to be signings made by the club & new personnel in place.

Mudryk at that price screams Boehly driven as does Joao Felix because again, the finances involved are insane for what could only be 6 months. Plus Mudryk was never ever somebody talked about here until Arsenal went in for him in this window. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

15 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

We overpaid for all 4. One way or another. No doubt the clubs/agents seen Boehly coming a long way off and thought result. And no doubt many more will and we will oblige. 

Plus throw in the bid for Anthony Gordon as well in the summer - Jesus Christ, I suppose it could have been a lot lot worse but there is still convincing to do. For me, realistically only Badiashile, D. Fofana, Andre Santos and Madueke so far scream out to be signings made by the club & new personnel in place.

Mudryk at that price screams Boehly driven as does Joao Felix because again, the finances involved are insane for what could only be 6 months. Plus Mudryk was never ever somebody talked about here until Arsenal went in for him in this window. 

Arsenal were willing to pay the exact same fee on Mudryk long before anyone ever told Boehly he even exists

Just now, Artandur said:

Arsenal were willing to pay the exact same fee on Mudryk long before anyone ever told Boehly he even exists

They weren’t willing to structure the deal the same way we did. Even the Shakhtar director said that.

Just now, OneMoSalah said:

They weren’t willing to structure the deal the same way we did. Even the Shakhtar director said that.

The point is Shakhtar's demands were very obviously not driven by us being anywhere near the deal. Man this is a rough place today, i'm logging off.

So RB is being sorted, good option in malo gusto. Good to see we've moved on from the zappacosta, emerson type signing. So all thats left is a CM. I really think we will go for enzo and caicedo is backup. Boehly probably wants to finish the spend now while the loophole is still active.

IMO our current recruitment team is doing a good job, i'm a lit worried about overbooking and how we will sell several players in the summer.
Mudryk for me, we have paid a right price for him, a little to high for cucu and fofana but can be good players, instead not a fan of KK and sterling.
Overall they are doing a job that couldn't be that bad at all, we see after the summer, but every purchase we have done it's far better of several we have done in the last years!
Lukaku, zappacosta, palmieri, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Baba, morata

50 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

It doesn't really matter what he was worth 6-18 months ago. The thing is, he had suitors that were going to pay something similar; sure we may have gone higher but he was sought after. 

I mean, I remember when 'Arry was going to sell Bale for £5m one Summer at Spuds, then six months later he was worth £50m and 24 months later he went for £88m. That is just the way of things, sometimes players just explode. Felix and Benfica was another the season before he exploded, he wasn't spoken about. 12 months later, bam €120m. 

Personally, I haven't seen enough of the MM to say if he is worth it or not, but figures going crazy after a few months isn't out of the ordinary. 

As for the Summer, firstly TB was learning on the job. Secondly, we were in a real hole. Granny completely fecked up the AC/Rudiger situation and every Tom, Dick and Harry knew we were essentially straped down ready for a shafting. Could we have targeted better players, sure but I do imagine any CB discussions were difficult with other clubs. Additionally, this is probably were TT lost TB and didn't help enough. I did have doubts about KK in the PL but equally we were absolutely crying out for CB's.

As for Cucu, City went to £50m didn't they? Additionally, he just had a good season in the league and people were largely thinking that, yeah, overpriced, but good quality and PL proven. For someone not knowing football much with the cash to hand, that one probably also made sense. 

Fofana the Jury is still out. We need to see if he can stay fit and what is performance levels are like. 

For me, there were clear issues in the Summer, which the board have tried to address in the mean time. However, at least they were proactive and put their money were their mouth is. Not many teams can say that about their owners. 

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Newcastle, Arsenal, City and United all look much better sides than us at present. Much better sides than us.

The top 4 as it is now I would say is how it would finish barring a minor miracle. Unless Spurs gatecrash it but they don’t typically start games to the second half and there is some sort of lingering around Conte leaving that may derail the second half of their season IMO.

I mean throwing money at all these players is fine but do people honestly think GP is going to get enough performances and momentum to fire us back up the table whilst all of these clubs drop points to make the top 4 this season?

Yet alone seeing folk talk about competing to win everything next season based on the signings of a guy who granted looked decent in the 25 mins v Liverpool but wasn’t difficult to do in a pretty poor game, a player we haven’t even seen play for us yet as well as the fact we don’t really play a number 10/second striker at current so will have to change the system again (Nkunku) and Enzo, who we are no closer to signing? I get being optimistic but I would think next seasons targets should be based on how this one ends. If we finish 6th-10th next seasons aims is top 4. Wouldn't think we should be worrying about competing for the PL title in the next 2 seasons or so if Potter is going to still be around, as he will need time to build something and undoubtedly expectations will need to be managed despite a huge influx of cash - although there is excitement around certain players and targets. 

I don't think anyone expects us to get top 4 this season.

I am glad we are getting better players for weak positions though and the management now seem.to know where our weaknesses are, so I am happy and optimistic 😊

42 minutes ago, guddy69 said:

I don't think anyone expects us to get top 4 this season.

I am glad we are getting better players for weak positions though and the management now seem.to know where our weaknesses are, so I am happy and optimistic 😊

Nah when predictions were made skysports wise etc no one said us...but did say more 5th...did think be competing for it rather then sat 10 behind halfway but hey ho...see what we can do the rest and onwards

Thank God it appears Newcastle will save us from stupidly signing Anthony Gordon.

Btw, Newcastle shopping at this sort of level is why I’m very confident that once ourselves and Liverpool get our houses in order for next season we will send Newcastle back down to competing for 6th-8th. As rich as their club is now it’ll take a few years of sustained high finishes before they’re attractive to the top, top talent. They still can’t lure the same level of talent that the Big 6 do.

Their fans should enjoy this dream season while it lasts. Once they have 4 competitions to juggle next season they will regress significantly. And mediocre players like Almiron, Joelinton, etc will eventually come back down to Earth to where they’ve been for their entire careers.

Gordon would be great here. Off the bench at least. I think he is the perfect type of squad player and vital to building a great team. Pacey, robust and athletic. 

I'd take him for 25-35m. But we have far more pressing needs. Between our current crop of front players, I think we should do well. 

13 hours ago, bluesman2610 said:

I disagree I feel they just need a bigger stage like Enzo did with the World Cup - especially Caqueret why wait until he moves somewhere and has a €70m is or €80m clause when he’s available for €36m now - why was no one bar maybe you calling for Enzo in August

I just find it pretty short sighted and funny that when we were linked to Badiashile in the summer people were also calling him pants and no good because we were linked to Gravidol and look how that for us.

I did not call Badiashile pants. He has been on some of my acceptable CB target lists for years.

As for you inferring I, ME, Vesper, am short-sighted, that is utterly laughable.

I am one of the most future forward, long term, big picture, risk analysing posters here. I warned on Roman and the club being seized since the Skripal incident,  and have been warning about the stadium and its knee-capping us revenue-wise (plus hurting recruitment aiding facilty prestige) for 10 plus years, ages before I ever joined here.

I also 100% stand by my big drop off comment.

On 23/01/2023 at 19:07, Pizy said:

Seriously, where would Gordon even play? Even if we sold Pulisic and Ziyech we’d still have Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke, and CHO on our books. I’d rather bring CHO back than spend silly money on Gordon. 

Even the idea that he could be turned into a wingback makes no sense as we’re after Gusto who is a natural at the position and is way better than Gordon.

Wingback, which as you said, makes no sense if we buy Malo Gusto

He is NOT a Chels level winger

Onana is a much better prospect for DMF

33 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I did not call Badiashile pants. He has been on some of my acceptable CB target lists for years.

As for you inferring I, ME, Vesper, am short-sighted, that is utterly laughable.

I am one of the most future forward, long term, big picture, risk analysing posters here. I warned on Roman and the club being seized since the Skripal incident,  and have been warning about the stadium and its knee-capping us revenue-wise (plus hurting recruitment aiding facilty prestige) for 10 plus years, ages before I ever joined here.

I also 100% stand by my big drop off comment.

I wasn’t saying you weren’t for badaishile or that you were short sighted I making a more general statement of what I witnessed during the last window with our pursuit of a left footed centre back. In fact I’m pretty sure you brought him up first in the forum. I just don’t see it the way you do and that’s fair from what I’ve actually seen of him(Caqueret)

On 23/01/2023 at 19:53, Pizy said:

This is pathetic 🤣🤣🤣 A smart business group finds a clever way of using the established rules to their advantage, a bunch of rival clubs around Europe who weren’t savvy enough to think of it themselves complain to UEFA that Chelsea are ruining everything, and now UEFA is changing the rules.

Massive restraint of trade lawsuit inbound. FUCK UEFA.