Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Given the options that may or may not be available for next season, not to mention the financial state of football (and our club more specifically) would Icardi be worth the risk to try and get on a loan deal?

I'm sure I read that PSG wouldn't be buying him permanently and Inter obviously don't want him back, so there may be an opportunity.

He's obviously a complete prick, but sometimes the better players are and they just need to be managed well, but their output for the team outweighs the drawbacks of their personality. It can work either way, sometimes that type of personality can be negative to a young group of players, but in other instances it can actually be a big positive for them to have a talisman to feed off.

I've always wondered whether he'd thrive in the Premier League. He's not the quickest or strongest player, but he knows where the goal is and if chances are created he'll put them away which has been much of the problem we've had this season, just missing that presence that is alive to things in the box. 

Inter in turn seem to have an interest in a few of our players, so I'm sure a deal could be sweetened by us sending a player or two their way whether on loan or permanently (e.g. if they want a few million as a loan fee, offer them Moses permanently or Alonso on loan as an exchange)

If we could get him on a loan deal for a season to assess both his personality and his ability to adapt to Premier League football, it could be a great deal in the current climate.

7 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Given the options that may or may not be available for next season, not to mention the financial state of football (and our club more specifically) would Icardi be worth the risk to try and get on a loan deal?

I'm sure I read that PSG wouldn't be buying him permanently and Inter obviously don't want him back, so there may be an opportunity.

He's obviously a complete prick, but sometimes the better players are and they just need to be managed well, but their output for the team outweighs the drawbacks of their personality. It can work either way, sometimes that type of personality can be negative to a young group of players, but in other instances it can actually be a big positive for them to have a talisman to feed off.

I've always wondered whether he'd thrive in the Premier League. He's not the quickest or strongest player, but he knows where the goal is and if chances are created he'll put them away which has been much of the problem we've had this season, just missing that presence that is alive to things in the box. 

Inter in turn seem to have an interest in a few of our players, so I'm sure a deal could be sweetened by us sending a player or two their way whether on loan or permanently (e.g. if they want a few million as a loan fee, offer them Moses permanently or Alonso on loan as an exchange)

If we could get him on a loan deal for a season to assess both his personality and his ability to adapt to Premier League football, it could be a great deal in the current climate.

I would take Icardi, however I know a lot of people cannot stand him or his wife. 

13 hours ago, King Kante said:

I would take Icardi, however I know a lot of people cannot stand him or his wife. 

Hell yes I would take him on a loan with an option to buy

I am shocked PSG isn't trying to work out a compromise

he got on great with all the players and the manager, and I watched a lot of PSG games, and he was at the top of his game

he was tracking to 40 goals and 8 assists over a full season's minutes, all comps

had 14 goals, 3 assists in a 2 and half month period, including CL games

in 2017/18 he scored 29 Serie A goals in only 34 games, 24 league goals the year before

yes, his wife is a horrid cunt, so that may fuck it all up, though

I do admit his pressing is weak, so that is a big negative for Lamps

47 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Hell yes I would take him on a loan with an option to buy

I am shocked PSG isn't trying to work out a compromise

he got on great with all the players and the manager, and I watched a lot of PSG games, and he was at the top of his game

he was tracking to 40 goals and 8 assists over a full season's minutes, all comps

had 14 goals, 3 assists in a 2 and half month period, including CL games

in 2017/18 he scored 29 Serie A goals in only 34 games, 24 league goals the year before

yes, his wife is a horrid cunt, so that may fuck it all up, though

I do admit his pressing is weak, so that is a big negative for Lamps

Even on loan, how much would Icardi cost - the fee and wages etc? 

And as you alluded to, is Icardi an all-rounder or near one? Lampard would want a mobile striker (this doesn't apply to Giroud but he does the next bits well), a striker that can hold up the play, link up with others, bring others into play - and also obviously, a striker who can score goals. Batshuayi is obviously no Icardi but a poacher striker doesn't seem to suit Lampard's style of play. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Even on loan, how much would Icardi cost - the fee and wages etc? 

And as you alluded to, is Icardi an all-rounder or near one? Lampard would want a mobile striker (this doesn't apply to Giroud but he does the next bits well), a striker that can hold up the play, link up with others, bring others into play - and also obviously, a striker who can score goals. Batshuayi is obviously no Icardi but a poacher striker doesn't seem to suit Lampard's style of play. 

he is scheduled to make 10 million euros (base plus bonuses) in 2020/21

https://www.calciomercato.com/news/icardi-la-verita-sullo-stipendio-e-quella-sfuriata-prima-di-firm-72583

that is an 8.5m euro base plus 1.5m euros in bonuses (easily earned according to the article)

that works out to a base of £140K per week plus a potential to make an additional £25K per week in bonuses

no idea what his loan fee would be, but PSG paid 5m euros (£4.4m)

and had the option to buy him for 65m euros (£57m)

https://sempreinter.com/2019/09/02/breaking-mauro-icardi-signs-1-year-contract-with-inter-before-completing-psg-loan-move/

I do not think we go for him, so it is mostly just theoretical speculation

Ajax boss Erik ten Hag confirms transfer agreement with Chelsea and Barcelona target Andre Onana

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/04/ajax-boss-erik-ten-hag-confirms-transfer-agreement-chelsea-barcelona-target-andre-onana-12650958/?ito=newsnow-feed

Ajax manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that the club have an agreement with Andre Onana that he will be allowed to leave the club this summer amid interest from Chelsea and Barcelona. The Cameroonian recently stated his desire to take a ‘new step’ in his career after five years in Amsterdam, with the Eredivisie champions having already lost a host of their most talented players in the past year. Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong joined Juventus and Barcelona respectively last summer, while Hakim Ziyech has agreed a move to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea are also looking to sign Onana as a replacement for Kepa Arrizabalaga, who has struggled to live up to his massive price tag, while Barca want to re-sign the keeper to act as cover and competition for Marc-Andre ter Stegen. Onana claims he has an agreement with Ajax that he will be allowed to leave Amsterdam if their price tag – believed to be around £25million – is met, and Ten Hag has now confirmed that to be the case. ‘Andre is very important to us and of course we don’t want to lose him,’ the Ajax boss told Algemeen Dagblad. ‘But it’s true that we have an agreement from last year about the development scenario and what steps we will take if the right club comes in at the right price.’

snip

Liverpool have told Timo Werner’s representatives they need more time to decide on whether to make a formal offer for the Germany international as they wait to see what impact coronavirus will have on the next transfer window.

Werner is keen to leave this summer after four years at RB Leipzig and Liverpool are in pole position to sign the 24-year-old, having made clear their interest in him several months ago. Werner is keen for a new challenge abroad and has told Bayern Munich that a move to another Bundesliga club is not an option at the moment.

Contrary to reports, the release clause in the striker’s contract – which stands at €60m (£52.7m) – is still valid. Liverpool are keen to get more of an understanding in the next few weeks of what will happen to this summer’s transfer window before completing any deal.

The coronavirus pandemic is likely to distort the market this summer, even for the top clubs, and Liverpool are not ready to commit to spending €60m on one player. Jürgen Klopp is a huge admirer of Werner, who has 72 goals in 118 league appearances for Leipzig, and the striker was set to be Liverpool’s top target this summer if they were to invest in a squad that is 25 points clear of Manchester City at the top of the Premier League.

Several other clubs are also interested in Werner depending on how other transfer business goes. Werner’s preferred choice would be Liverpool but he would also consider other Premier League clubs as well as Inter and Juventus in Italy. Barcelona are also an option if they do not sign Inter’s Lautaro Martínez.

10 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Why wouldn't Chelsea go hard if Liverpool are weighing their options?

I am not sure we will have the money to buy him. This CV19 situation is going to hit finances hard and the money we have spare will need to go on operating costs. In particular, where we will get screwed is with our loan players. We have a lot of players on the books that we thought we would either be able to sell or at least loan out and have their wages covered. However, due to this situation, we are probably going to have a shed load of them at the club next year and/or have to loan them out and cover part or most of their wages. 

For instance, here is just a few examples of player we thought we would be able to sell/loan with their wages covered; 

Baka - £110k a week.

Drinky - £100k a week 

Baba - £70k a week 

Moses - £70k a week 

Zappa - £65k a week 

Pasalic - £30k a week 

After that, you then have players in the first team squad that were presumed to be sold who are also unlikely to move: 

Alonso - £90k a week

Emerson - £50k a week 

Barkley - £100k a week 

Batsh*t - £80k a week 

That alone makes approx £765k a week in wages, which is £39.5m+ a year in wages we will have to take a hit on, and that is before you write off any value that you were expecting them to bring you. 

Further to this, matchday revenue is not returning for a while (so add £20m+) and then you have issues around sponsorship monies and tv/CL money which is all up in the air. 

All in all, I just do not see where we are generating enough cash to buy players. Only way we may be able to do something is with swap deals but the problem here is that, apart from Pasalic, all the players are on wages that they will not get elsewhere, so are unlikely going to want to move.

15 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I am not sure we will have the money to buy him. This CV19 situation is going to hit finances hard and the money we have spare will need to go on operating costs. In particular, where we will get screwed is with our loan players. We have a lot of players on the books that we thought we would either be able to sell or at least loan out and have their wages covered. However, due to this situation, we are probably going to have a shed load of them at the club next year and/or have to loan them out and cover part or most of their wages. 

For instance, here is just a few examples of player we thought we would be able to sell/loan with their wages covered; 

Baka - £110k a week.

Drinky - £100k a week 

Baba - £70k a week 

Moses - £70k a week 

Zappa - £65k a week 

Pasalic - £30k a week 

After that, you then have players in the first team squad that were presumed to be sold who are also unlikely to move: 

Alonso - £90k a week

Emerson - £50k a week 

Barkley - £100k a week 

Batsh*t - £80k a week 

That alone makes approx £765k a week in wages, which is £39.5m+ a year in wages we will have to take a hit on, and that is before you write off any value that you were expecting them to bring you. 

Further to this, matchday revenue is not returning for a while (so add £20m+) and then you have issues around sponsorship monies and tv/CL money which is all up in the air. 

All in all, I just do not see where we are generating enough cash to buy players. Only way we may be able to do something is with swap deals but the problem here is that, apart from Pasalic, all the players are on wages that they will not get elsewhere, so are unlikely going to want to move.

Points really well made.  There will be some who'll still moan though and say the Club lack ambition.

This whole Covid-19 situation is really going to shake things up quite dramatically for sometime to come.

Ofcourse there are more important things to concern Ourselves with right now than Transfers In & Out.

KTBFFH!!

Edited by Malito

21 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Baka - £110k a week.

Drinky - £100k a week 

Baba - £70k a week 

Moses - £70k a week 

Zappa - £65k a week 

Pasalic - £30k a week 

Alonso - £90k a week

Emerson - £50k a week 

Barkley - £100k a week 

Batsh*t - £80k a week 

At the moment it's quite impossible to predict. What you've said could well be absolutely spot on. But on the flip side with budgets slashed, we might find the loan market is more popular than ever before for teams to try and refresh their squads and we're still able to move players on.

We might also find that a £100 - 150m transfer budget which many of us fans thought would be available may be little different to now a £50 - 75m transfer budget, which may still allow us to be potentially very competitive in the market without spending as big as what we may have been expecting. I mentioned a while back it'll be interesting to see just how good value Ziyech will prove to be. If we had waited until after this situation may we have got him for £20-25m? Or if we had waited perhaps teams would have viewed him as a cheaper alternative to someone like Sancho and there would have been much more competition for him?

I think the club needs to sit tight and see what the first moves are in the market by some teams to assess just where the market might be at currently. Hopefully there will be a transfer budget for the summer, but like just about every team I don't see it being what we were all expecting or hoping it would be a couple of months ago.

"Mané and Aubemayang can kill you in open space. But Barcelona need players who know how to move in small spaces.” - Xavi on what strikers would/would not be suitable for Barcelona during an Instagram live

If not Barca we have good chance here.

3 hours ago, communicate said:

Are we interested in werner? 

3 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

That is a good question. I can't remember if anyone from the Chelsea staff has ever spoke of acquiring him?

Almost certain that there have been stories saying we are interested in Werner. It's just obviously Liverpool look the more likely destination for him...

5 hours ago, King Kante said:

Baka - £110k a week.

Drinky - £100k a week 

Baba - £70k a week 

Moses - £70k a week 

Zappa - £65k a week 

Pasalic - £30k a week 

Alonso - £90k a week

Emerson - £50k a week 

Barkley - £100k a week 

Batsh*t - £80k a week 

No matter what pretty sure all players on first list will be at least loaned out next season.

Emerson is going to Italy also.

Alonso is staying as backup which is fine because it gives Frank flexibility to change formation from time to time.

I like Ross and hopefully someone will take Bats.

Btw Alonso is on 150k per week :lol:

5 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

No matter what pretty sure all players on first list will be at least loaned out next season.

Emerson is going to Italy also.

Alonso is staying as backup which is fine because it gives Frank flexibility to change formation from time to time.

I like Ross and hopefully someone will take Bats.

Btw Alonso is on 150k per week :lol:

Problem is with the first list is that even if they are loaned out, a number of them will have to have their wages subsidised. Further, with their problems and knees I am not too sure anyone is going to want to risk even subsidising part of Zappa, Drinky or Baba so they will either be here or on loan with us paying full wack. 

As for Alonso, I just did some checking and I have found various sites state £100k and not £90k or £150k: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goal.com/en-qa/amp/news/inter-chelsea-alonso-pedro-giroud-leave-january/1lwcjqi22pgpq1viq8s3x2ez19