• Kovacic
    • Mount
    • Ziyech
    • Giroud
    • James (sub)
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Werner (sub)

8 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Giroud should have scored, Werner should have scored, Ziyech should have scored and Mount had a good opportunity to score as well. Udt had jack shit.

Yeah. May have been too harsh on Tuchel yesterday after reviewing that. Could of scored 2 or 3 yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

LOL

I for one didnt expect any punishment....its fucking udt, a protected breed at any cost. Not many weeks ago that Wolves manager got slaughtered for much less. A phone call from Fergie sorted that shit out.

Edited by Atomiswave

On 28/02/2021 at 13:48, Jason said:

We can argue all day and will likely never agree on this but I'll just say this, since we're talking about a conventional LB being asked to play in a slightly unfamiliar role of a LWB, maybe some slack should be given especially when said player has only played 1 game here and 1 game there? Even Tuchel has pointed this out and I don't think Chilwell has been a complete disaster in the LWB role either.

If Tuchel wanted to rest Alonso, why didn't he just do it against Southampton last weekend? Or given we have a decent amount of rest days between Atletico and United (4) and United and Liverpool (3) games, why didn't Tuchel just play him today and say rest him against Everton?

I didn't say I expected more from Kante with his passing apart from just being more careful with it. We had no real control in the first half because United decided to press us and they disrupted us well. Jorginho won't have made a difference considering he's bad when under pressure. Getting pressed and losing control of games have been a long standing problem with us, even when we had Fabregas in the team. We don't have a team filled with players who are comfortable on the ball when under pressure.

Then what's your thinking behind Tuchel not playing Jorginho today then?

Atletico only mostly pressed well in the first 10 minutes or so but apart from that, they were mostly content to sit back and defend with the 6-3-1 shape. Kante came on after Giroud scored to help manage Atletico's attacks.

Kante only just came back from injury during that Spurs game period and hence why he didn't start. Jorginho-Kovacic worked well in that game's first half because Spurs were just so passive and sat off us. But when they decided to press high up in the second half, we lost control of the game. 

As discussed before, Chilwell plays like a "proper" wingback, which makes this formation a tad overly defensive. Reckon it was very much intentional for the united game. Maybe Tuchel wanted to block the sides, or simply thought United is in a better form than we are atm.

For me it is clear as day that Alonso plays as a left midfielder, same as Odoi on the other side. They both cut inside and join the other mids in the midfield line, while James and Chilwell will mostly roam the flanks. James does a bit more of the cutting inside, or making those nice crosses, but he's def not a mid.

Alonso fits better in this formation and our best games since Tuchel took over have been with Alonso. There is a lot more to a left mid than taking on players, or defending. Passing for example, becomes far more important. Alonso's many weaknesses are not as exposed in this formation, while his strengths are much needed to bring balance esp by populating the midfield.