Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I'm not buying that. Mikel is on around £80k a week and these days paying that for a player in his prime with almost a decade of experience in top level football for a club of Chelsea's stature is not at all unreasonable. He's a player whose game is not based on his physical attributes, at least not pace, so he should still have at least another five or six years left before he starts to decline so I'm having a really hard time figuring out why no one is interested. Hell, only less than six months ago Milan were happy to take Essien off our hands and he was way past it and still on high wages.

Italian football would fit Mikel like a glove IMO. I know that despite things starting to look better in recent times some of the clubs over there are still not doing too well financially and paying Mikel's wages would be a big investment for them but if the transfer fee itself is more than reasonable, at least compared to some of the other fees they are paying over there (i.e. Iturbe to Roma for €30m), it could end up being some really good business to someone. And if none of the Italians want him, there's still Turkey who have a bunch of rich clubs and are no strangers to paying good wages to some big name players.

well that's the theory, but reality doesn't seem to agree with it.

Personally, I don't think Mikel is a good player at all. I've been in many discussions about many players around here and we all tend to pinpoint their virtues and weaknesses. However, with Mikel, I just can't see anything he does well. Mikel is considered to be "a good passer" who can't hit a long ball for his life and that makes no sense to me.

I doubt there is a club willing to offer that amount for Mikel.

Let's hope Inter and their new president want to flash the cash. Not sure they need him now; they have M'vila, and want Medel.

Let's hope Inter and their new president want to flash the cash. Not sure they need him now; they have M'vila, and want Medel.

Well, shame Juventus not interested in him, instead they want Ramires. If only, we could include Mikel in a bid for Vidal / Pogba.

Well, shame Juventus not interested in him, instead they want Ramires. If only, we could include Mikel in a bid for Vidal / Pogba.

I have a feeling he could be used as a make weight for some sort of deal.

Player + cash deals are rare so I doubt it. What player could we get with Mikel? He will be sold to a mid table team.

If we were still after Guarin, he could have been used as a make weight. Not sure who would want him now though.

5 million sounds about right. He's a nothing-player with stature and good feet on high wages. offload him any way possible, just like we wish for Torres (but it's impossible for Torres).

I think 5m is a joke for someone at his prime age, and playing in the best league in the world.