Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

16 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

He's lying. He had to know it wasnt a cramp when Rudiger had to hold him back from him. He was standing next to his doctors well before that.

Its sad honestly.

He was going ballistic then and only seeing red. Probably saw things differently once he calmed down...

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

I find it hard to believe, he just doesn't want to feed the drama with all that "player power" thing and him losing the dressing room. If all it had been was him thinking it was a cramp and it really wasn't, then by that time the doctors would have surely told him, but he was barely even involved in the pre-shootout team-talk. I think somewhere during the initial substitution attempt he decided he wanted Caballero on regardless for his penalty track record. Also the way Kepa didn't even approach Sarri after ET was a disgrace.

The only way Kepa would have been excused was if he had made the saves to win the shootout. He didn't, so I blame him. If he had listened to the manager, we could have won it, but we will now never know. Needs to punished for costing us a trophy. :middlefinger:

1 minute ago, manpe said:

I find it hard to believe, he just doesn't want to feed the drama with all that "player power" thing and him losing the dressing room. If all it had been was him thinking it was a cramp and it really wasn't, then by that time the doctors would have surely told him, but he was barely even involved in the pre-shootout team-talk. I think somewhere during the initial substitution attempt he decided he wants Caballero on anyway for his penalty track record. Also the way Kepa didn't even approach Sarri after ET was a disgrace.

The only way Kepa would have been excused was if he had made the saves to win the shootout. He didn't, so I blame him. If he had listened to the manager, we could have won it, but we will now never know. Needs to punished for costing us a trophy. :middlefinger:

Na. Think that's hugely over the top. Or if not, in that regard the same should be said for Jorginho and Luiz missing penaltie. It just wasnt to be unfortunately, knew as soon as Luiz hit the post theyd win.

2 minutes ago, manpe said:

I find it hard to believe, he just doesn't want to feed the drama with all that "player power" thing and him losing the dressing room. If all it had been was him thinking it was a cramp and it really wasn't, then by that time the doctors would have surely told him, but he was barely even involved in the pre-shootout team-talk. I think somewhere during the initial substitution attempt he decided he wants Caballero on anyway for his penalty track record. Also the way Kepa didn't even approach Sarri after ET was a disgrace.

He was already going mad and preparing to walk off the pitch but then made a u-turn and was still pissed off for a while after that. If Sarri really thought Kepa undermined him, then this was his chance to stamp his authority but he didn't and has come off looking weak. Considering he has been so stubborn, if he's going to go out, he might as go out his way. All in all, don't think Sarri covered himself in glory either in that situation.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

He was going ballistic then and only seeing red. Probably saw things differently once he calmed down...

His staff was sitting down next to him comfortably. Why werent they speaking to him during this period? Did EVERYBODY just stop doing their job?

Looking at the full incident again it just seems like Sarri is trying to play this down because he knows he cant win this fight.

8 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Na. Think that's hugely over the top. Or if not, in that regard the same should be said for Jorginho and Luiz missing penaltie. It just wasnt to be unfortunately, knew as soon as Luiz hit the post theyd win.

Caballero could have made the saves. It's speculative, but Kepa lost for a fact and we never got to see if head coach's decision would have won us the trophy. Hence, I blame Kepa for taking away the opportunity that should have been instead.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Precisely why I said what I said earlier. The lack of communication in that incident sums us up right now. No one took control of the situation and everyone was either going mad or was clueless/ignorant on what's going on. 

That's it! No one came off well from this. Someone should've stepped in not just watched the crazy unfold.. Maybe to taken back who knows. 

Everyone has a opinion.. No one seems surprised it happened with a chelsea player. 

31 minutes ago, manpe said:

Caballero could have made the saves. It's speculative, but Kepa lost for a fact and we never got to see if head coach's decision would have won us the trophy. Hence, I blame Kepa for taking away the opportunity that should have been instead.

Penalties is all about luck really. Doesnt matter who was in the net, Caballeros record is decent at spot kicks in his career but its hardly going to be the hugely deciding factor. Kepa was unlucky with one and saved another. Different day he saves the other one and Luiz and Jorginho score. If we won it wouldnt be an issue, in fairness we were unlucky in the 120 mins and probably should have won, Kante was really unlucky with his chance and Hazard was onside in that offside call. Agueros goal would of counted another day too. Kepas actions werent great but him staying on didnt cost us anything. Missing penalties did.

37 minutes ago, Mana said:

Agreed. Kepa wasn’t the huge reason why we lost it. Jorginho did worse than Kepa in the shootout.

But still, what Kepa did was terrible and has to be punished in some way. You cannot disrespect Sarri like that, even though he has been questionable over the past months.

100% agree. 

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/2/24/kepa-arrizabalaga-explains-his-refusal-of-maurizio-sarri-s-subst?cardIndex=0-0

‘First of all, I have to say it was misunderstood,’ said the goalkeeper. ‘In no moment was it my intention to disobey, or anything like that with the boss. Just that it was misunderstood, because I had been attended to by the medics twice, and he thought that I wasn’t in condition to continue. It was two or three minutes of confusion until the medics got to the bench, and they explained everything well.

‘This was nothing to do with the problems I had this week, with [hamstring] it wasn’t that. And, well, it was misunderstood. Because he thought I couldn’t continue, and - fundamentally - I was trying to say that physically I was fine.

‘I know if you see it from outside, I don’t know how it went out, it is not the best image. I have spoken with the boss. I think it was misunderstood. I understand that on television, on social media, they’re talking about this but I am here to explain it, to say that it wasn’t my intention to go against the manager. We have spoken now, and I was only trying to say I’m fine. He thought I wasn’t fine.

‘I don’t think it has to be the major act of this final. I understand we played a good level against one of the best teams in the world. We were close to winning, obviously we’re sad that we didn’t, and I think the team needs to continue playing like this, because today we’ve shown we can compete against the best teams. Among the negatives, we have to take the positives.’

22 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Penalties is all about luck really. Doesnt matter who was in the net,  

Couldn't disagree more and thinking it is about luck is one of the reasons England kept losing shootouts.

Hours of studying goes into working out patterns of penalty takers and keepers, and the decisions made by players and keepers are often based on their research, for example, Cech in Munich.