14. Trevoh Chalobah

Captain Ahmed

31 minutes ago, lucio said:

How did he do last night ? Heard people say he was pretty decent. How does he compare to Tomori ? Similar potential ?

Looked like a regular starter, was Great to see. He was abit forgotten but boy last night he sure reminded ppl he's still here. 100% could tell he was playing for his place and deffo had something to prove.

I think given the pressure and size of the match he was being thrown into last night he played very well.

He did get caught out a couple of times and you could see sometimes his positioning was a little suspect however he had Zouma central to him and Hudson Odoi out wide. Someone a little more experienced alongside him could probably help iron some of those positioning issues out.

He's done all he can do, which by the looks of it is be the one out of all the loan players to impress Tuchel the most in pre season and earn his trust. I think whether he goes out on loan or not may depend on our transfer activity for the rest of this window so he might be one of the very last to make a decision on. 

I definitely would have no problem him being part of the squad next season though, he seems a more than adequate option as backup.

Still not convinced by him. Could be another Kalas. 

I'd loan him out to a Premier League team this season and buy Kounde. With Silva gone next summer and Rudiger/Dave/Christensen with their contract situations, this could be two potential spots available. Chalobah impresses, give him one of the slots. 

4 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

If we loan him out and buy Kounde for 80 mio. Euros, we make a horrible mistake

TBF, either Kounde in now or maybe next year. Silva will likely leave next year and will Rudiger sign that new contract? 

10 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

If we loan him out and buy Kounde for 80 mio. Euros, we make a horrible mistake

I hope he won't be  loaned out, but Azpi and Silva aren't getting any younger, and Rudiger seems to be keen on big cheque as a free agent, with Christensen we need another, skilfull, ball playing CB and if that's Kounde, we need him. Albeit he is small guy. If Tuchel wants him we should get him.

Fantastic debut for a young centre back. And academy product.  Let's hope in time he will be able to play this good against tougher opposition.

Chalobah is perfect for that RCB role, he is more aggressive than Azpi in that role. I really like how he presses to win back the ball and transitions into attack.

He has been outstanding in the two games, I hope the manager continues to reward him.

Is he ready? I don’t believe so, but let’s keep in mind he will be training with Lukaku, Werner, Kai.. literally every type of striker every single day.

Great performance and obviously it’s brilliant for us to see academy players who get their head down get their rewards. Guehi, Livramento, Bate etc etc “no route to first team ffs”

The biggest thing for him is he now seems to have won the trust and belief of Tuchel.

If he remains here this season it'll be as a squad option but I don't think Tuchel will be afraid to throw him into games.

With this in mind, he may be better off staying this season and giving things a go. Given the volume of games we have, even as a backup he could easily play 15-20 games, maybe more. He would also have the opportunity to play and train with some top, experienced defenders such as Azpi and Silva whom he can only continue learning from.

Our defence could be very different next season. I personally think the futures of Azpi, Christensen and Rudiger will be sorted but there is always the possibility of one or more possibly moving on and Thiago Silva will almost certainly be winding down too. Staying here and remaining in Tuchel's thoughts could really help him try to break through.

From a squad perspective this season if Chalobah stays, we're stacked in defence. Azpi, Christensen, Silva, Rudiger, Zouma, Chalobah and James if needed for the back 3. I'd be inclined to roll with that and go big on a defender next summer if players move on. Instead I think we'd be better off getting an extra midfielder for the pivot this summer. If we can add one to Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic I think we're strong across the board then with the depth of pretty much 2 first team players for every position.