Daniele Rugani

Unionjack

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Why would Juventus let him go if he was any good? 

Juventus would never sell if he’s that good. Their defense, CB’s, are old anyway so what’s the point in selling “the next big things”.

Chelsea fanbase as desperate one will hype everyone these days. 

20 minutes ago, zekinjo said:

Juventus would never sell if he’s that good. Their defense, CB’s, are old anyway so what’s the point in selling “the next big things”.

It could also be that they are trying to bankroll a move for Milinkovic-Savic. Juve never has trouble attracting talented defenders so they could see it as a chance to profit on a young player who is stagnating behind their more established 4 CBs. 

Potential win-win for all. Important that he performed so well under Sarri already and understands his style. Nobody is hyping him up as an immediate world class defender, just a very good prospect that could become a very good player for us.

1 hour ago, zekinjo said:

Trust me, this guy is good. He is very comfortable on the ball and makes tackling look effertless. I think Sarri wants him for his calmness and eye to pick a pass. He is a ball playing CB. He can become a betteR Cahill and is most probably his replacement. I don't think Cahill will survive under Sarri in his system.

I don't see anything bad in this. We were never going to sign top tier players like Koulibaly anyway, we don't have it in us. Rugani tier is where we are shopping mostly anyway, it's in our price range. At least we are not going for the Lascelleses of this world. Seems like he'd be an excellent signing if Sarri comes. Now get Rugani, sign Seri, a new backup right-back if we sell Zap, ideally a winger also and all of a sudden we look a different team.

1 hour ago, Mufassir08 said:

I'm afraid that a pairing of Christensen and Rugani might struggle against the more physical forwards as both players are essentially of the same kind with very similar strengths and weaknesses.

I think for the most part it would be either rather than both. Rudiger in my opinion should be the first centre back this coming season. Quick, strong, comfortable enough on the ball, looks like he is on a continuing upward curve in his development and performances and one that strikes me will thrive off the responsibility.

33 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think for the most part it would be either rather than both. Rudiger in my opinion should be the first centre back this coming season. Quick, strong, comfortable enough on the ball, looks like he is on a continuing upward curve in his development and performances and one that strikes me will thrive off the responsibility.

Got a feeling Rudi might end up at fullback if we revert to back 4.Question marks on Alonso in one and im not convinced by Emerson yet, and Rudi is our best player at dealing with fast tricky wingers, as he shown spectacularly against Salah.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Got a feeling Rudi might end up at fullback if we revert to back 4.Question marks on Alonso in one and im not convinced by Emerson yet, and Rudi is our best player at dealing with fast tricky wingers, as he shown spectacularly against Salah.

He's definitely an option but Azpilicueta I assume would be the other full back. That would leave us with two defensive minded full backs and either of them playing left back would be a right footer playing there leaving us even more toothless on that left hand side.

I would far rather we play Rudiger in the centre and use someone natural on the left hand side to give the team more balance, and a little more offensive minded too. Whether that means we need to buy someone I'm not too sure, would depend a lot on Emerson in pre season I guess.

He's definitely an option but Azpilicueta I assume would be the other full back. That would leave us with two defensive minded full backs and either of them playing left back would be a right footer playing there leaving us even more toothless on that left hand side.

I would far rather we play Rudiger in the centre and use someone natural on the left hand side to give the team more balance, and a little more offensive minded too. Whether that means we need to buy someone I'm not too sure, would depend a lot on Emerson in pre season I guess.

Sarri supposedly wants to bring Hysaj, so it wouldn't be that much of an issue should it come to fruition.

This signing doesn't seem to make a lot of sense with the number of options we already have in that position.

Its not the defenders WE want to have us using we should be looking at its the ones that Sarri will be looking at to use.

I'm still really not up to date on the sort of defenders he uses in his style. They seem to be comfortable on the ball and are good passers. So theres got to be a reason why we are being continually linked with various ones.

Its going to be one hellova hard job hes got on his hands when he comes. It might have been worth it not to sack Conte but to make him work out his contract as a number 2 or at least keep him till Sarri has got to know all the lads.

Not feasible I know but it would help us out.

Options doesn't equal quality. Upgrading is always welcome.
A 37 year old in Barzagli is preferred to him. His quality is questionable IMO.

In addition, a new manager should see the players at his disposal before going out and buying someone that isn't necessarily going to change our team much. Signing someone like Mertens, despite his age, would make sense.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

A 37 year old in Barzagli is preferred to him. His quality is questionable IMO.

In addition, a new manager should see the players at his disposal before going out and buying someone that isn't necessarily going to change our team much. Signing someone like Mertens, despite his age, would make sense.

I'm just gonna play devils advocate here for a second, Rugani(who was/is highly regarded) under Sarri & at Empoli showed his quality(Serie A Team of the season, No Yellow card etc). Mertens without Sarri was a backup thought to be okay, if not unspectacular. Mertens under Sarri has now shown his quality and is playing confidently and brash. 

So in recent years it is shown both players have quality, one is 24 and was highly sought after in a value position. The other is 31, wanted highly now in a value position. 

I would argue that Signing someone like Mertens (who now no longer has his affordable release clause) would make less sense than Rugani. If we believe (its a stretch, i know) that we can get the deal done at 35m Euros for Rugani, and lets say ADL requests 40-45m for Mertens, I would argue that Rugani is the far better bit of business. 

To be clear, I am relatively indifferent if Rugani comes. I think we have a strong stable of 1st team and youth CB's so that we wouldnt necessarily need him. But he IS used to Sarri, and Sarri did try to get him at Napoli. As i said, just playing devils advocate.

I'm just gonna play devils advocate here for a second, Rugani(who was/is highly regarded) under Sarri & at Empoli showed his quality(Serie A Team of the season, No Yellow card etc). Mertens without Sarri was a backup thought to be okay, if not unspectacular. Mertens under Sarri has now shown his quality and is playing confidently and brash. 
So in recent years it is shown both players have quality, one is 24 and was highly sought after in a value position. The other is 31, wanted highly now in a value position. 
I would argue that Signing someone like Mertens (who now no longer has his affordable release clause) would make less sense than Rugani. If we believe (its a stretch, i know) that we can get the deal done at 35m Euros for Rugani, and lets say ADL requests 40-45m for Mertens, I would argue that Rugani is the far better bit of business. 

To be clear, I am relatively indifferent if Rugani comes. I think we have a strong stable of 1st team and youth CB's so that we wouldnt necessarily need him. But he IS used to Sarri, and Sarri did try to get him at Napoli. As i said, just playing devils advocate.

I was just going off what they offer & our need at the current moment whilst putting aside their prices, as it's hard to keep track of supposed clauses that Napoli have in place one minute & expire the next.

However, I'm all for Sarri going for players he solely wants rather than our board dumping him with "the next best thing".

45 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I was just going off what they offer & our need at the current moment whilst putting aside their prices, as it's hard to keep track of supposed clauses that Napoli have in place one minute & expire the next.

However, I'm all for Sarri going for players he solely wants rather than our board dumping him with "the next best thing".

Indeed. What if we go for players sarri wants and then he is sacked? 

The club should make a plan of style and identity. Follow that and bring players/coaches that fit the style. 

Back under Mou, we had pragmatic coach, pragmatic match approach and pragmatic players. We had success because the core wad always the same. Players fitted different managers (more or less). And managers fitted the players. 

Going from Conte to Sarri is huge step because many players will be useless in Sarri play. If we bring players that suit Sarri and then go back to Conte/Mou type of manager, it will be another 3 years of transition and no improvement.

I know what you mean, but we should get players (and coach) that match Chelsea ideology. Not just Sarri wishes. 

Sure that goes hand to hand usualy, the club appoints manager that has same vision as the club, but like with Conte, Chelsea wasnt united at all. 

If board has other ideas, dont appoint Sarri at all. 

If we get Sarri, I hope the board realises we have to target players matching to his style, not because of Sarri, but because of new Chelsea ideology. 

If we drop Sarri because he flops, and appoint another defensive manager, our next 2-3 years will be more and more misery

Indeed. What if we go for players sarri wants and then he is sacked? 

The club should make a plan of style and identity. Follow that and bring players/coaches that fit the style. 

Back under Mou, we had pragmatic coach, pragmatic match approach and pragmatic players. We had success because the core wad always the same. Players fitted different managers (more or less). And managers fitted the players. 

Going from Conte to Sarri is huge step because many players will be useless in Sarri play. If we bring players that suit Sarri and then go back to Conte/Mou type of manager, it will be another 3 years of transition and no improvement.

I know what you mean, but we should get players (and coach) that match Chelsea ideology. Not just Sarri wishes. 

Sure that goes hand to hand usualy, the club appoints manager that has same vision as the club, but like with Conte, Chelsea wasnt united at all. 

If board has other ideas, dont appoint Sarri at all. 

If we get Sarri, I hope the board realises we have to target players matching to his style, not because of Sarri, but because of new Chelsea ideology. 

If we drop Sarri because he flops, and appoint another defensive manager, our next 2-3 years will be more and more misery

We have to hope times are changing. Everyone knows that Roman wants attacking football, so this is certainly a step in the right direction should it happen.

Need to stop falling back on Mourinho's ground work when things go bad, if we're to progress as a club going forward.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You