• Boga
    • Willian
    • Batshuayi
    • Christensen (sub)
    • Morata (sub)
    • Musonda (sub)
    • Craig Pawson

9 minutes ago, communicate said:

We always struggle to play around pressing that is why bakayoko ability to run is needed. But we looked fine, Burnley does not look like scoring n we create enough width to send dangerous cross. 

They didn't look like scoring and yet, they managed to score 3 goals. What does that tell you about the players' mentality in that first half? In fact, we didn't cover ourselves in glory for all 3 goals.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuming really. Simply because if Cahill did not do that stupid challenge, we would have definitely won that game. And even more frustrating is a few mins before that Cahill challenge, Alonso got a yellow for a bad tackle and got a yellow. You would think Cahill would learn from that but no he doesn't and messes up the game plan. I feel for Boga the most though. You can see through his social media post yesterday that he was so excited and wanting to grasp this rare opportunity and because of the sending off, he was sacrificed and will prob not start another PL game this season. Feel so bad for him as he has so much to offer this team. So bloody frustrating. Words can't describe my anger. I hope he is given another opportunity because right now he must feel his luck is so against him.

Willian, I thought had a good game and Morata looked very good when he came on and had a goal and assist and I am quite sure he has earned his spot in the starting line up against Spurs. The board have really fucked us up though. Selling Matic and selling/loaning all our CM and now we only have 1 out and out CM going into the game against Spurs which serves as a wake up call to the board. How fucking naïve. Doubt Bakayoko is going to be fit in time. Luiz will probably have to put in there and that is not ideal as I think he is crucial to be in the defence against Spurs against Kane. Right now can't see anything but a Spurs win. Our confidence is shot low, squad depth absolutely shit.

A lot of us were pessimistic going into the season but losing to Burnley at home in your first game of the season does not show good signs at all. Almost seems like a bad omen. Unthinkable and yes while they were helped with 10 men, to show as little fight as the boys did in first half was unacceptable. That was utterly embarrassing.

Next week is big. Losing 2 games in a row would be a huge setback so we need to get our act together and remember who we are playing.

Football has really gone to shit. Millions and millions of pounds for players, yet referes who can't make a difference between a red card and a falling accidental tackle. Makes me so sad as I can remember the times when people like Zidane, Henry, Ronaldo, Carlos, Lampard, J.Cole, Ronaldinho, Pirlo, Totti played this wonderful game.

At least Morata did great so I don't have to watch Batshuayi imitate a wall from which the ball bounces away...

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Watching the Brighton v City game and it's depressing. City have so many options to choose from while we have to pick from whatever scraps we could muster. *sigh*

City have managed to bring Sane, Sterling and Silva on today while we managed to bring...never mind.

Just now, Jason said:

City have managed to bring Sane, Sterling and Silva on today while we managed to bring...never mind.

You have seen nothing my friend! Next game against Tottenham will be fun, no Cahill, no Pedro, no Hazard, no Cesc :D We have 1 midfielder available :D

Oh, btw Champions of England need reinforcements in the IT team also :D Maybe they were counting our red cards instead of goals so they lost the count.

lol.png

5 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

We have injuries. Do they?

Not the point.

The issue is that Conte had nothing on the bench that could have changed the game once Cahill had gone off. Christensen was only brought on after Cahill got sent off and it was a gimme that Morata was going to come on. We had no one else that could have made that extra bit of difference.

Thats the issue here. I don’t want mere squad members to make up the numbers. I want top quality talent that can make us better as a team.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

That's no doubt an essential trait to have in the team and it's great to see it but pardon me if I'm being harsh here, I'm kinda sick of seeing us go AWOL in the first half and then play well in the second to claim some sort of moral victory. It's happened too often (dating back to games at the back end of last season). Why we didn't we start the game today like we ended it? Why did we only turn up after going 3-0 down? Had the mentality been right from the first second, we wouldn't be sitting here and complaining about the referee, red cards, performance etc.

I don't think we went AWOL as a team in the first half.

That's not to say that we played well or that we didn't improve massively in the second half. But we were pretty comfortable until the sending off. Sure we were lacking some sharpness in our passing, but it was the first match of the season.

Even after the sending off, we certainly weren't 3 goals worse than Burnley in terms of performance. We made ridiculous mistakes 'defending' crosses into the box and Burnley to their credit took every single chance they got. But no one would have said it was massively unfair had went into the break goalless with that performance.

But of course scorelines are all that matter in the end... 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Even including our injured players Hazard, Bakayoko and Pedro, our options are still thin compared to theirs.

The days of us being the big spenders are gone. We've need a few more since the window opened.

1 minute ago, Dingus said:

Not the point.

The issue is that Conte had nothing on the bench that could have changed the game once Cahill had gone off. Christensen was only brought on after Cahill got sent off and it was a gimme that Morata was going to come on. We had no one else that could have made that extra bit of difference.

Thats the issue here. I don’t want mere squad members to make up the numbers. I want top quality talent that can make us better as a team.

Musonda should have come on much earlier. We're currently short on numbers thanks to a few injuries and suspensions instead of not having players There's no doubt we need 3-4 players, but that's more down to improving our XI instead of adding numbers for the sake of it.

I'd be shocked if no one is signed this week, just hope it isn't Drinkwater.

2 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

I don't think we went AWOL as a team in the first half.

That's not to say that we played well or that we didn't improve massively in the second half. But we were pretty comfortable until the sending off. Sure we were lacking some sharpness in our passing, but it was the first match of the season.

Even after the sending off, we certainly weren't 3 goals worse than Burnley in terms of performance. We made ridiculous mistakes 'defending' crosses into the box and Burnley to their credit took every single chance they got. But no one would have said it was massively unfair had went into the break goalless with that performance.

But of course scorelines are all that matter in the end... 

We weren't like super bad or anything but we certainly weren't 100% there. The manner in which we allowed Burnley to score highlights that and Conte himself alluded to it as well. We certainly didn't play or react well, when we should have, after going down to 10 men.

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

I'd be shocked if no one is signed this week, just hope it isn't Drinkwater.

At this point, we should probably be happy with someone like Drinkwater because we'll be very lucky if we get top class players before Aug 31.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

At this point, we should probably be happy with someone like Drinkwater because we'll be very lucky if we get top class players before Aug 31.

Could easily get someone like Seri from Nice IMO. Just the longer the board try to haggle, the smaller the pool.

Ref needlessly ruining the game aside, I still think there have been pretty unacceptable individual performances in the first half.

Bats, kante, fab, and esp Luiz come to mind. 2 goals conceded where luiz was ball watching and marking no one.