Chelsea 2-1 West Ham

Jase

17 minutes ago, nono said:

Dominating possession doesn't mean much. How many clear cut chances were we creating ? We were clearly out of ideas. Costa just rescued two points on his own. 

Long ball to Batshuayi, he passes it to Costa, goal. We've all seen this move before, so that's one idea. Ivanovic had a good shot on goal in the first half, Hazard's play was dangerous, Costa constantly taking the shot, Willian had his moment... the way Willian and Hazard played on the wings looked scripted to me.

At the end of the day you need some individual quality to put chances like this to bed. Taking a shot the way Costa did before the 2:1 is one of the things which differs us (fans and hobby footballers) from them. You have to expect it from someone like him.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have been an absolute travesty if those Essex neanderthals got anything out of that game. No difference between Allardyce and Bilic just long ball to Carrol a man who's not even a one trick pony and is so leaden footed he might as well wear Caterpillar boots rather then Nike's or Adidas. Just one thing is it to much to ask to have football played with a plain white fucking ball ?. 

Honestly, it almost seemed like West Ham played like the Chelsea from last season. From the cluelessness to the goal and overall attitude.

So pleased with the improvements! We are starting to play like a real team again. Although I wish Conte had made the 2nd and 3rd subs a little earlier. This could be the start of a very special era, fingers crossed!

It might have been only the first game but that was a huge win, for Conte and for us especially after how we ended last season (and not to mention, that dreadful home record). Thought the most impressive thing in the win was our intensity and pressing. Apart from the first 10 and last 15 minutes, we were absolutely dominant. We pressed as a unit, weren't afraid to put the challenges in and won plenty of the tackles, including the 2nd balls and 50-50 challenges. West Ham barely got out of their own half! The only downside was we didn't convert our dominance into goals, which is still a problem for us. We played with a lot of intensity but didn't really create enough clear cut chances and it's concerning that Hazard looked more likely to create something than anyone else. But since it's a new season and with a new manager, can only hope we'll get better with that.

^^ Good analysis @Jason I think.

I thought everyone played well and that the only flaws in any performances were caused by the players individual limitations. In the end any footballer can only play as well as they can play. Can't ask any more of anyone than that. We can ask for more quality to be added to the squad however and I think it's fair to say we all spent the summer doing just that!

A lot of what is being asked for is that we should fix the back four. While there can be no doubt that work is needed in that area I'm convinced we'll solve more of our problems if we  solve the midfield. Keep the ball better, move the ball better  means we ease the pressure and retain our shape better. That automatically improves our defending.

if the only squad improvements we can achieve for happened to be defenders then so be it but we mustn't neglect other areas of need.

Well done to the lads. Well done to the boss.

As everyone gets more comfortable in their roles the tactics will get sharper and more chances will be created(like Italy in the euros) I really loved how we played today. We were a little sloppy but being able to come back and get a win showed great resiliency and mental toughness. Those are things we lacked last year and seem to be back in spades. I love conte and that celebration! Great to have a little energy back at the bridge!

56 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

^^ Good analysis @Jason I think.

I thought everyone played well and that the only flaws in any performances were caused by the players individual limitations. In the end any footballer can only play as well as they can play. Can't ask any more of anyone than that. We can ask for more quality to be added to the squad however and I think it's fair to say we all spent the summer doing just that!

A lot of what is being asked for is that we should fix the back four. While there can be no doubt that work is needed in that area I'm convinced we'll solve more of our problems if we  solve the midfield. Keep the ball better, move the ball better  means we ease the pressure and retain our shape better. That automatically improves our defending.

if the only squad improvements we can achieve for happened to be defenders then so be it but we mustn't neglect other areas of need.

Well done to the lads. Well done to the boss.

Well, we can improve our ball circulation if we play Fabregas, but we can't really play Fabregas without too much risk with the defenders we have. So, it's a bit of both actually.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I don't agree. If and when we are able to do this repeatedly and predictably, it will show that. Until then all it shows is that we did it today.

Understandable and fair. I'm just happy we got the year started with a big 3 points.

24 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Well, we can improve our ball circulation if we play Fabregas, but we can't really play Fabregas without too much risk with the defenders we have. So, it's a bit of both actually.

Not really we need a player who is better than either Fab or Oscar in that role.One who combines the better traits of both.I would argue that this would represent solving the midfield, as i put it.

8 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Only way Cesc can regularly start games under Conte is if we sign Koulibaly and a new fullback. That way Kante wouldn't have to pick up so much slack. You want Fabregas as free as possible from defensive responsibility. Runners and legs next to him (Kante & Oscar) and enough pace and athleticism behind him (Koulibaly, new fullback, and eventually Zouma) to deal with anything that breaks through the midfield.

Can't see a role for him as anything other than a squad player unless he's completely protected.

2 hours ago, nono said:

Dominating possession doesn't mean much. How many clear cut chances were we creating ? We were clearly out of ideas. Costa just rescued two points on his own. 

How many chances did West Ham create ? 

It is not always how many chances your create.  It's the balance that is important.  If you park the bus,  concede 0 and create 0, it is just crappy football. 

I don't think we concede any big chances other than late flurry by West ham (not overly concerned with the corner) and we create enough imo.

If we want to create more, easy bring fabregas in. We will be better at creating chances and our ball circulation will be much better but we will concede chances. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

...We played with a lot of intensity but didn't really create enough clear cut chances and it's concerning that Hazard looked more likely to create something than anyone else. But since it's a new season and with a new manager, can only hope we'll get better with that.

It's a good first win for Conte, but Chelsea are not going to create enough "clear cut chances" during the season with a lack of ability/speed from CM and LB while Hazard looks for openings and is -again- surrounded by opposition defenders every time (like the past seasons). 

We need more from LB and CM on the build-up.  On the other side of the pitch, people will complain about Willian but it seems to me that if combination play were improved on both flanks and down the middle, we wouldn't need a 2nd superman on the RW to complement Hazard on the left. Or, in other words: let's not blow a huge wad on another winger; let's fix the defence and CM first. That next big money attacking player winger should come down the road.

I thought Oscar played just fine against this opponent. The combination play around Hazard (or lack thereof) bothered me much more than any of Oscar's shortcomings.

Good win against a fairly tough opponent, but I don't think WHU were at their best either. 

We need better players and better combination play from back-to-front.  Matic looks like a Bolton or West Brom player; Hazard: Real Madrid/Barca quality.

**despite being minimally involved in the build-up, Kante looked good. I'm happy he's with us. very smooth on the ball along with being a zipper who breaks up play.

51 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Not really we need a player who is better than either Fab or Oscar in that role.One who combines the better traits of both.I would argue that this would represent solving the midfield, as i put it.

Ideally, yes. Can't see a player available on the market right now (that would join us) that can get us that though. Which means we have to make do with what we've got for now. We can get pretty good ball circulation going on if we get in a midfield of Oscar, Fabregas and Kante, providing we sign a competent CB and LB. That's the best solution we can get right now. 

49 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Only way Cesc can regularly start games under Conte is if we sign Koulibaly and a new fullback. That way Kante wouldn't have to pick up so much slack. You want Fabregas as free as possible from defensive responsibility. Runners and legs next to him (Kante & Oscar) and enough pace and athleticism behind him (Koulibaly, new fullback, and eventually Zouma) to deal with anything that breaks through the midfield.

Can't see a role for him as anything other than a squad player unless he's completely protected.

Yeah, I fully agree. Best solution right now is to invest in the back line so that we can take a bit more risk in midfield.