Anthony Martial

Pacquiao

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure 9s are overrated, the best strikers in the world are Suarez, aguero, Benz, Ibra, etc.

Multi dimensional strikers are in and more coveted.

Anyway if some Chelsea fans could justify the shit money we were throwing at Everton not sure how it is any different in this case.

Martial is a much better prospect, and united will have a Aguero/Suarez 2.0 in a couple season.

Being a pure #9 doesn't mean that they're a giant lamp post that you just boot it up to like Andy Carroll or Crouch.

I consider Ibra, Costa, and Benzema pure #9's. They're very mobile, yes, but their primary position is the point of the sword. This Martial kid seems more like Remy who can play out wide or behind another striker.

Pure 9s are overrated, the best strikers in the world are Suarez, aguero, Benz, Ibra, etc.

Absolutely, completely, 100% right and it was always thus. One dimensional simply does not cut it and never did.

For example Michael Owen* was, in my opinion, the best English finisher since Greaves yet, once people saw through the initial hype, he couldn't get a game for anybody. That was because being a pure finisher, even a very good one, is nowhere enough and never was. I heard Mickey Quinn talking the other day about an early season game where he and Clive Allen were subs for their respective teams despite having scored 80 goals between them the previous season. Quite right too, neither of them had enough to their games to hold a place in a good side.

*Owen was a much better finisher than Shearer. Anyone offered a bet on any English footballer scoring a one-on-one vs any keeper will obviously take Greaves unless they're an idiot but next comes Owen in my book; a beautiful finisher. Even so Shearer was the better player. More to his game.

Anyway if some Chelsea fans could justify the shit money we were throwing at Everton not sure how it is any different in this case.

Martial is a much better prospect, and united will have a Aguero/Suarez 2.0 in a couple season.

As for Martial. I've seen him play three times. Once against Arsenal and twice against Valencia. He didn't catch my eye against Arsenal, was absolutely brilliant in the first leg vs Valencia and, to be frank, was crap in the second leg. The fact is that all players have good and bad games; the trick is to see through the form and try to judge the finite quality of the player. Two such different displays make it hard to be confident in an opinion but, he showed so much to like in the first game against the Spaniards that you'd have to say there is something there.

£30-35m for Stones is one thing.

The reported €80m (nearly £60m) for this kid is another. Nearly £60m for a 19 year old from the French league who had just a decent season last year. That's utter madness! For that price you'd expect a striker on Agüero's level or someone who is 100% certain to become world class.

You are right but I can't imagine that fee is correct. If there is any truth to it at all then it's much more likely to be the total cost; transfer, agents and wages.

Won't matter if he fulfills his potential. Hugely talented, pacey, strong, composed, technically good... for 19 years old 9 goals last season where he hardly started and played left wing more often than not is respectable. Sure it looks a lot at first but he is one of those high level talents.

Im not sure why is there such halo here...

That money is no worse than 40m that we almost paid for Stones. Yet no one cared.

Double standards at best. When we go after player, no problem pay world record fee for a everton 21year old CB who had one good season in PL, while united goes for a unproven striker for 55m, the world gone mad, united is breaking all the rules blah blah. And vice versa from other fans.

For record I think this price for Martial is waay too high, but so was the rumoured one for Stones.

At least Martial is a forward.

Im not sure why is there such halo here...

That money is no worse than 40m that we almost paid for Stones. Yet no one cared.

Double standards at best. When we go after player, no problem pay world record fee for a everton 21year old CB who had one good season in PL, while united goes for a unproven striker for 55m, the world gone mad, united is breaking all the rules blah blah. And vice versa from other fans.

For record I think this price for Martial is waay too high, but so was the rumoured one for Stones.

At least Martial is a forward.

Stones is HG. That's where the hike in price comes from. Just look at Sterling as a marker of how the English market is. Utd are paying stupid money because they have no other option now.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You