Filipe Luís

Jase

Iva has other qualities he brings, plus it's not like we've had world class fullbacks during his time here.

Speaking if Iva, he wasn't given opportunities to adjust when he first came either. He was no where near even the bench for a few good months and had to work his butt off in training and take the chance he was given when it came.

Luis' first real chance was Azpi's suspension where he had 4 starts in a row and he did not show that he is better than Cesar so he'll have to wait for the next chance.

The thing with Dave is that he has been so good, considered best defender in the league by Neville, how can anyone beat that? it is like saying Ronaldo is injured so Isco should play in his play, yep he will score a couple of goals here and there but ultimately he can't outplace Ronaldo because CR7 is just way better. I think atm Luis got more chance of displacing Iva than Dave, maybe with Dave move to RB and Luis LB. That or a serious injury to Dave(hopefully never happens but football is like that)

The thing with Dave is that he has been so good, considered best defender in the league by Neville, how can anyone beat that? it is like saying Ronaldo is injured so Isco should play in his play, yep he will score a couple of goals here and there but ultimately he can't outplace Ronaldo because CR7 is just way better. I think atm Luis got more chance of displacing Iva than Dave, maybe with Dave move to RB and Luis LB. That or a serious injury to Dave(hopefully never happens but football is like that)

Azpi probably IS the best defensive full-back in the league, but that alone isn't really much help for us against teams that decide to use the same defensive setup as Sunderland did; against those teams, the LB needs to attack more than defend. The LB has to be more willing and able to move into attacking positions to stretch play and provide crosses, as well as being capable of getting involved in the general build-up play with fast and ambitious passing on the ground.

After this Sunderland performance, more sides are now going to sit back on the edge of their box and defend narrow against us; Azpi's game at LB is simply not suited to helping us break the opposition down in these scenarios, and they know it.

Your Ronaldo-Isco/Azpi-Luis analogy is flawed when applied to games like these. If anything, Luis is 'Ronaldo' (the better attacker/less defensively sound) whilst Azpi is 'Isco'.

Cause Jose is a stubborn ass guy.

If we were like United without no Europe or cup competitions then maybe I could understand but when we are involved on all fronts, it is ridiculous why he is not given more starts. On balance of things, he has done really well in a Chelsea shirt.

Will never understand why he doesn't start these sort of games, was quality when he came on.

Well I guess this was just Mourinho admitting he was wrong.

Because I never really seen LB for LB from Mourinho at Chelsea.

Those was Carlo tactic and they where ugly at times.

This time it wasn't that bad.

And I think this (hopefully) is the start of Felipe at LB.

Will never understand why he doesn't start these sort of games, was quality when he came on.

Watch the second goal. If he was properly position or at least aware of who was behind him he would and should stop the ball to Cisse. Not saying it's all his fault, but Azpi provides defensive solidness that Luis is yet to show.

Watch the second goal. If he was properly position or at least aware of who was behind him he would and should stop the ball to Cisse. Not saying it's all his fault, but Azpi provides defensive solidness that Luis is yet to show.

Grasping at straws, there.

Someone was clean through on goal, it's easy for you watching it to notice the other player, but Luis is thinking of going back to the line and blocking the shot.

Grasping at straws, there.

We had two other players running to chase down Sissoko (and clearly not catching him), he should have been looking to see if someone else was coming in support.

It's not a major mistake (and like I said I'm not blaming him for the goal, there were bigger mistakes made for the goal than that), but it's those little details that sometimes make the difference like they did today.

He asked why Azpi keeps getting picked over Luis and I said why I think that is. Now, I'm sorry if this gets in the way of the rage on Mourinho and trying to blame him for the loss, but it makes a lot more sense to me than "Jose is a stubborn idiot" or "Iva is an ass-licker"...to me at least.

Really harsh. We have conceded a few goals like this when Azpi (or whoever) was in exactly the same position as Luis relative to the attacker. Besides, before Sissoko mis-controlled the through-ball, Luis was in a good position to either cut out the pass to Cisse or make an attempt at blocking/rushing a shot from Sissoko himself. Cisse simply showed good anticipation in stalling his run slightly once Sissoko had let the ball fall behind him.

Really harsh. We have conceded a few goals like this when Azpi (or whoever) was in exactly the same position as Luis relative to the attacker. Besides, before Sissoko mis-controlled the through-ball, Luis was in a good position to either cut out the pass to Cisse or make an attempt at blocking/rushing a shot from Sissoko himself. Cisse simply showed good anticipation in stalling his run slightly once Sissoko had let the ball fall behind him.

Alright, forget that incident, it was only one example. Let's look at in general, in all of the his PL appearances Luis has not looked as solid as Azpi defensively. He's made a few obvious mistakes and has been beaten a bit too easily. He's obviously struggling with the physicality of the league as he himself has said/hinted at on several occasions.

If he is so clearly superior to Azpi, then explain to me how Jose keeps starting Cesar?

We had two other players running to chase down Sissoko (and clearly not catching him), he should have been looking to see if someone else was coming in support.

It's not a major mistake (and like I said I'm not blaming him for the goal, there were bigger mistakes made for the goal than that), but it's those little details that sometimes make the difference like they did today.

He asked why Azpi keeps getting picked over Luis and I said why I think that is. Now, I'm sorry if this gets in the way of the rage on Mourinho and trying to blame him for the loss, but it makes a lot more sense to me than "Jose is a stubborn idiot" or "Iva is an ass-licker"...to me at least.

Brana isn't solid defensively either. Why sacrafice Luis instead of Ivanovic?

Azpi is the best one on one defender in the league, so obviously Luis won't be as good defensively.

It doesn't make more sense, if Luis had been on when we were playing well he would have added more offensively than Azpi.