Diego Costa

Spike

This injury has reminded me of Pat Nevin's comments in pre-season on Chelsea TV. On two separate occasions he said that unlike Man City (and Liverpool, United, etc.) if any one of our starting 11 players got injured we'd have no problems because of our back-ups. I like Pat but that is delusional.

This injury has reminded me of Pat Nevin's comments in pre-season on Chelsea TV. On two separate occasions he said that unlike Man City (and Liverpool, United, etc.) if any one of our starting 11 players got injured we'd have no problems because of our back-ups. I like Pat but that is delusional.

but that's mainly true except for the striker position... so I don't blame him. While some of those teams only have depth in the striker department, we have everywhere but there. We could be close to solving that too if we let go of Torres and bring someone else. We definitely have more squad depth than any other side in the EPL now if we think about the whole team, and not just the striker department. Some of our bench players are better than some of those in the first team of other title contenders...

but that's mainly true except for the striker position... so I don't blame him.

I agree but the drop in quality in the striker department between Costa and Drogba/Torres is immense. I found it amusing the way Pat kept stressing the point ('name me one position where we'd struggle', etc) when it's very obvious where we're lacking. The qualities that Hazard and Fabregas offer are also difficult to replace but not to the same extent.

We definitely have more squad depth than any other side in the EPL now if we think about the whole team, and not just the striker department. Some of our bench players are better than some of those in the first team of other title contenders...

Our squad is definitely better than Arsenal's and Liverpool's but I'd say City's is slightly ahead of ours.

Edited by LeChels_

I agree but the drop in quality in the striker department between Costa and Drogba/Torres is immense. I found it amusing the way Pat kept stressing the point ('name me one position where we'd struggle', etc) when it's very obvious where we're lacking. The qualities that Hazard and Fabregas offer are also difficult to replace but not to the same extent.

and who can replace Silva, Alonso, Schweinsteiger, etc in their teams? The fact that we have so much quality in our bench shouldn't be overlooked. Also while I do think we need reinforcement in the striker department sometimes it's overrated how much it defines a team's campaign. We had in the first half against Leicester some of the same behavior we had last year when we struggled to beat small sides. What has Costa done in that first half? We would have done better last year with a striker? Probably, but that wasn't entirely our problem. We had creative problems and above all, attitude issues at some points when the players didn't look at those matches against smaller sides the same way the looked to the big ones.

We don't have a super replacement for Costa as it stands, but we could work it around with Fabregas, Schurrle and to Drogba (better yet if with the three of them in the pitch). I've been saying since we've signed Diego that we need another striker, and that it could affect us if Diego went through a lengthy streak without playing. But for a couple of games or weeks? I think we've got it covered.

As a team we should work better because when you have the talents of Hazard, Cesc, Oscar (when in form), Schurrle - you shouldn't have major problems because all of those guys are more than capable of scoring goals and most of them should end the season with double digits if they have a good season. I still believe while we needed a striker last season, we mostly needed a change of attitude in the team. Mourinho talked about it in one of the first PC since official competition started when he said we've been too long without winning the league and the younger players aren't in that level yet, but it's almost as if he unlearned how to win week in and out, especially against the smaller sides, to make it count at the finish line. That was as big of a problem (if not bigger) than not having a striker. If your team doesn't enter the pitch with the right attitude and motivation, maybe there's little the striker can do because the ball may never reach him in the first place, just like it hasn't in the first against Leicester...

and who can replace Silva, Alonso, Schweinsteiger, etc in their teams? The fact that we have so much quality in our bench shouldn't be overlooked. Also while I do think we need reinforcement in the striker department sometimes it's overrated how much it defines a team's campaign. We had in the first half against Leicester some of the same behavior we had last year when we struggled to beat small sides. What has Costa done in that first half? We would have done better last year with a striker? Probably, but that wasn't entirely our problem. We had creative problems and above all, attitude issues at some points when the players didn't look at those matches against smaller sides the same way the looked to the big ones.

We don't have a super replacement for Costa as it stands, but we could work it around with Fabregas, Schurrle and to Drogba (better yet if with the three of them in the pitch). I've been saying since we've signed Diego that we need another striker, and that it could affect us if Diego went through a lengthy streak without playing. But for a couple of games or weeks? I think we've got it covered.

As a team we should work better because when you have the talents of Hazard, Cesc, Oscar (when in form), Schurrle - you shouldn't have major problems because all of those guys are more than capable of scoring goals and most of them should end the season with double digits if they have a good season. I still believe while we needed a striker last season, we mostly needed a change of attitude in the team. Mourinho talked about it in one of the first PC since official competition started when he said we've been too long without winning the league and the younger players aren't in that level yet, but it's almost as if he unlearned how to win week in and out, especially against the smaller sides, to make it count at the finish line. That was as big of a problem (if not bigger) than not having a striker. If your team doesn't enter the pitch with the right attitude and motivation, maybe there's little the striker can do because the ball may never reach him in the first place, just like it hasn't in the first against Leicester...

We definitely would have done better with a decent striker last year, most likely enough to win the league (to get 16/18 points against the other teams in the top 4 and not win the league is remarkable).

The attitude problem is a concern though. How many times did we seem not bothered in the first half last season? I hope this season we're not going to again limit ourselves to just 45 minutes to try to win because a draw/loss becomes ever more likely in that case. We didn't pick up the pace in the Burnley game till we conceded and in the Leicester game we waited till after half time. I think I remember Mourinho saying he does all the tactics in the morning and leaves the players to it before the match. Does that mean he doesn't give pre-match talks? That might explain why the players tend to perform better after half-time.

People panic far too much. When was the last time we had a major player sidelined for a longish time because of a muscle injury? Impact injuries are another matter. My United-supporting mates are always moaning about how 'lucky' Chelsea are because their key players are rarely injured - as if it's got a whole lot to do with luck. Our training methods are top class, our player conditioning is top class, our medical department is very competent and it shows. We take damn good care of our players, right up there with the very best in pro football.

It's true

Courtois injury, Cech in

Ivanovic injury, Dave in

Filipe Luis injury, Dave / Ake in

Terry injury, Zouma in

Cahill injury, Ivanovic shifts over, or Christiansen / Ake make the step up

Matic out, Mikel in

Oscar out, van Ginkel in

Fabregas out, Ramires in

Schurrle out, Willian / Salah in

Hazard out, Willian / Salah / Schurrle in

The only position we don't have great strength in depth is the striker position

It's true

Courtois injury, Cech in

Ivanovic injury, Dave in

Filipe Luis injury, Dave / Ake in

Terry injury, Zouma in

Cahill injury, Ivanovic shifts over, or Christiansen / Ake make the step up

Matic out, Mikel in

Oscar out, van Ginkel in

Fabregas out, Ramires in

Schurrle out, Willian / Salah in

Hazard out, Willian / Salah / Schurrle in

The only position we don't have great strength in depth is the striker position

That's my point. He completely forgot/ignored the striker situation. We are well covered elsewhere.

but that's mainly true except for the striker position...

hmm disagree with that. I also disagree with what Pat Nevin said. We have got good sguad depth but i would say from our starting eleven there are 5 players that aren't so easily replaced if something were to happen to them.

Terry, Matic, Fabregas, Hazard and Costa. I would say those 5 are irreplacable in terms of the quality they bring to the team.