Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

If Mourinho wants to continue playing Fabregas in the big games, then he needs to go with the 4-3-3. That way, it gives Fabregas less defensive responsibilities and more license to get forward (IIRC, we played 4-3-3 at Arsenal last season and Fabregas put in a decent display). Otherwise, sticking in the pivot doesn't do him and us any favor. He can't affect the game much going forward and as I said earlier, he's a defensive liability. It leaves Matic having to do two players' job and the defence exposed.

It looks like somebody took off his magic hat... But man, he is really sloww. Maybe he is slower than Mertesacker.... And I think that's why he was sold form Barca and why he is not good enough in big games where the tempo is extremely high and you should keep the ball for a really short period of time. Cesc is the kind of player who does magic when he has the time to see the player and to give the pass, but in games with so high tempo it's not possible to show your magic. And in defending he is even worse. He made some good tackels last match, but as I said he is too slow to defend. Mata would have the same impact as Cesc at this club, if Mou didn't sell him...

Of course. But it remains the area of the pitch for him to influence a game the most when the tempo is high or midfield is crowded.

Yes but Fabregas and Pirlo aren't exactly the same type of player, are they? The former won't shine as a deep lying playmaker, he's better at getting forward, linking up the play and creating chances.

Needs to be benched. You cannot have players like this in a team like CFC not expecting any consequences for bad game. He needs competition and yet we don't have another creative CM at all! I wish we could steal that Kovasic deal from Real Madrid.

But I definitely agree about the lack of movement in our play. It was beyond static today. Zidane would have looked like Cleverley today.

Yes but Fabregas and Pirlo aren't exactly the same type of player, are they? The former won't shine as a deep lying playmaker, he's better at getting forward, linking up the play and creating chances.

Again, it was an alternative for big games. Fabregas doesn't shine in his natural role, doesn't shine at #10. In fact, he struggles. So I suggested something new.

At least his long range passing would come to better use, as well as his ability to start up attacks. This midfield issue has to resolved. We already know the midfield battle will be lost before it starts.

So.. is that behind two defensive mids or what?

I guess. Playing alongside hard-working/energetic midfielders.

It's quite sad how the most influential midfielder has such issues. He did change the way Chelsea play(ed).

Hard to bench Cesc in big games, one of the top earners and a high profile player, and expect him to smile and remain highly motivated to squash the lesser sides. I think this is why Mourinho ignores those performances as long as the results are good enough. But what happens when the results aren't good enough anymore?