Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

We still have to talk about Cesc ...

He's so shit in big games, it's beyond me. Yeah, yeah scapegoat Ramires but this guy is literally invisible, his passing is bad, he can't keep up with tempo, can't help with pressing, he does nothing. Feel like we're playing with 10. Every big game is the same, he has to be benched, simple as that. I'm very much looking forward to see Oscar in the middle (!).

Not quite. It is not like he is completely useless. Yeah his setpieces were shite and his passing inaccurate but he created one moment of magic we should have scored from. His is like pirlo. invisible the whole match but picks his moments to set up scoring chances. But in a big match we also have to utilize him like pirlo which means we have to play 2 mids with who mask his defensive incompetence. Either that or leave him out completely in big games. Anyway we need a better midfielder.

What do you know, when Cesc was played in a more advanced position he was poor. Something we've known for ages now. Don't know why José keeps playing him there. Well, actually I do; he doesn't trust Oscar in these big games. When he moved further back he had more influence and grew into the game. If Oscar is able to step up and become a top class player it'll make Cesc's job way easier since he can stay deeper.

The puzzling thing with Fabregas is his set piece delivery. Sometimes it's the best in the league and other times like today it was woeful.

Yet another absolutely awful performance against a big team. has he ever been substituted before when he's playing poorly? I don't think Jose has the balls to bench him. After multiple woeful set piece attempts, you would think he would leave it to someone else to take.

BIG GAME!? BIG GAME!?

I don't get this idea that this was a big game either.

Surely, Mourinho made his big game move of benching Oscar... and changed his mind very early in the second half - something he normally doesn't do in a big game.

Mourinho doesn't like to lose, and set up the team in the best way he thought would win him the match, but the quick reaction in HT and then 6 minutes into the second, showed he still treated this as a friendly.

Cesc was very poor in the first, but he improved a lot when Oscar came in the second. He started doing his magic and he was miss and hit in the set pieces. I still believe it makes no sense for people to judge the team's or the players' prospect of a season based on this match. I don't get why so much importance has been given to this. YES, it sucks to lose to Arsenal and I wish - like all - we have won, but first, we played better imo, second, it's worth nothing, third, our season starts next Sunday and for that match I think we're ready. We showed to be good enough to beat Swansea at home. That's all that matters now.

Fabregas certainly has one of, if not the, best football brains in the team but like Terry he needs a lot of help because of his physical limitations.

On the other hand we have those with good physical abilities but with poor technical and/or decision making abilities (most notably Ramires and Ivanovic but this also applies to much of the squad).

Put either of these two groups of players under pressure and they will often fail to retain the ball, albeit for different reasons. It's disappointing that we have so few players who combine both skill sets.

Starting to dislike Fabregas playing the No.10 role in the big games. Always ineffective both offensively and defensively and as a result of that, it makes him totally redundant. Play him alongside Matic in the pivot or in a three-man midfield.

Spot on. Trouble is, we don't have a consistently top quality player to use in a 3 man midfield seeing as José doesn't use Oscar from the start against good opposition.

Spot on. Trouble is, we don't have a consistently top quality player to use in a 3 man midfield seeing as José doesn't use Oscar from the start against good opposition.

even more reason why he should give it a try, it worked well against Barcelona in the first half.