Sepp Blatter and FIFA Corruption

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blatter actually came up with the idea of AFC Challenge Cup, which allowed lesser able Asian sides to qualify for Asia Cup. This is how India qualified for 2011 Asia Cup.

I know, we actually did okay compared to the expected routings, oddly enough. Right now we're in the second qualifying round for the WC, our first appearance at this stage for 12 or 16 years (!!!) and we'll have to face the highest ranked Asia tean (Iran), among others. Realistically we're just hoping to do well enough to enter the Asian Cup without having to go through additional qualification rounds.

India? I'm not sure we'd qualify even if there was an Asia - only 'World' Cup.

If we're assuming UEFA not taking part. The vacant place will have to be filled and that means more quota for Asia, South America, etc.

[severe rant warning]

CAUTION: The following is a rant that may actually challenge your views.

- First, LMAO at people who actually genuinely believed that Blatter would not get reelected. With all due respect, your understanding of power and politics is naive to put it lightly.

- Secondly and more annoyingly naive is the general belief that had Blatter failed to get reelected FIFA would be fixed and the corruption would go away and life would be full of flowers and daisies. That's not to say Blatter is the same as Prince Ali in terms of corruption but to link all the corruption at FIFA to just one man is beyond ridiculous. It would take years and years to de-corrupt FIFA if there was a genuine desire to, which there is not.

- Minor point: You really think that the person who person who is supposed end the corruption and the misuse and monopolizing of power at FIFA is a 21st century prince who comes from a family that unilaterally rules an entire country? You genuinely think that that guy made it to where he is on merit and not abuse of power?! Well, if you say so...

- Thirdly, the fact that the whole world has fell for the incredibly simplistic view of the whole matter as good vs evil makes me lose hope in humanity. Yes, Blatter is insanely corrupt as are the people around him, but has done a lot of good for FIFA and the game. While it may well have been done for all the wrong reasons the Japan/South Korea and the South Africa world cups were HUGE steps in a great direction. Under Blatter the FIFA has done A LOT of good for many third world countries and helped include those countries in the decision making in football and raise awareness that football is a global game.

- Related point to the above: The role that the media played in creating this general consensus about good vs evil is probably as corrupt as Blatter himself. FIFA has been obviously corrupt and run by money and power for decades, yet all the papers suddenly noticed when Russia and Qatar beat the UK and US for the hosting of the WCs? Every single WC bid for the past two decades at the very least would have had to play the system and do bribes in one way or the other to even be considered for nomination and that includes the US and UK bids for the 2018 and 2022 WCs. The media don't give a shit about how much Blatter or any other FIFA member gets from who, what they care about is that Blatter destroyed the Western/European domination of FIFA and football.

- Lastly, UEFA boycotting the WC? Don't make me laugh! The failure of UEFA to produce a single candidate from withing its ranks to run against Blatter speaks volumes about how unified it is in battling Blatter's corruption.

[severe rant warning]

CAUTION: The following is a rant that may actually challenge your views.

- First, LMAO at people who actually genuinely believed that Blatter would not get reelected. With all due respect, your understanding of power and politics is naive to put it lightly.

- Secondly and more annoyingly naive is the general belief that had Blatter failed to get reelected FIFA would be fixed and the corruption would go away and life would be full of flowers and daisies. That's not to say Blatter is the same as Prince Ali in terms of corruption but to link all the corruption at FIFA to just one man is beyond ridiculous. It would take years and years to de-corrupt FIFA if there was a genuine desire to, which there is not.

- Minor point: You really think that the person who person who is supposed end the corruption and the misuse and monopolizing of power at FIFA is a 21st century prince who comes from a family that unilaterally rules an entire country? You genuinely think that that guy made it to where he is on merit and not abuse of power?! Well, if you say so...

- Thirdly, the fact that the whole world has fell for the incredibly simplistic view of the whole matter as good vs evil makes me lose hope in humanity. Yes, Blatter is insanely corrupt as are the people around him, but has done a lot of good for FIFA and the game. While it may well have been done for all the wrong reasons the Japan/South Korea and the South Africa world cups were HUGE steps in a great direction. Under Blatter the FIFA has done A LOT of good for many third world countries and helped include those countries in the decision making in football and raise awareness that football is a global game.

- Related point to the above: The role that the media played in creating this general consensus about good vs evil is probably as corrupt as Blatter himself. FIFA has been obviously corrupt and run by money and power for decades, yet all the papers suddenly noticed when Russia and Qatar beat the UK and US for the hosting of the WCs? Every single WC bid for the past two decades at the very least would have had to play the system and do bribes in one way or the other to even be considered for nomination and that includes the US and UK bids for the 2018 and 2022 WCs. The media don't give a shit about how much Blatter or any other FIFA member gets from who, what they care about is that Blatter destroyed the Western/European domination of FIFA and football.

- Lastly, UEFA boycotting the WC? Don't make me laugh! The failure of UEFA to produce a single candidate from withing its ranks to run against Blatter speaks volumes about how unified it is in battling Blatter's corruption.

Blatter got the African nations onside by giving them loads of money it's as simple as that. Africa has more members then UEFA it's ridiculous. Of course the U.S. didn't win because as soon as Blatter steps on American soil he'll be arrested and that's going back 10 years. Do you think it's a coincidence that F.I.F.A is based in Switzerland making them virtually untouchable. In 2010 the Sunday Times did a cash for votes expose Blatter promises an investigation there isn't one and Russia and Qatar win the bids.

Everyone know's F.I.F.A is a crooked organization but Qatar winning is not hiding in plain sight it's showing just how corrupt they are. Take any person football fan or not and say we are going to hold the biggest sporting occasion in the world where they don't play the game, have no stadiums, and the weather can hit 120 degrees in the Summer they would say don't be stupid or someone's taking a massive backhander.

Phadera Almajid a F.I.F.A. whistleblower in the Qatar bid claims it was a bent bid and noisily says so then retracts her statement paid off perhaps?. The Telegraph exposes that Jack Warner and his family were paid millions by a Qatar company after the World Cup bid the same Jack Warner who was arrested on Thursday. Michael Garcia a lawyer who's report about the bids is blocked by F.I.F.A. (i wonder why?) who then write there own report clearing Russia and Qatar which Garcia says is complete and utter bollocks. Some of the F.I.F.A officials are up on charges including racketeering for fucks sake it's like something from 1920's Chicago.

If your the head of a massive organization of course you know what's going on and who's taking backhanders it's naive of you to think otherwise. It's a ridiculous defence to say he didn't know what's going on every company has a chain of command and the buck always stops with the boss in any walk of life. Finally and i'm going to put my England hat on here we invented the game, we have the biggest league in the world, a league that's watched by billions of people around the world and Qatar has a more credible bid then us?. Sour grapes? you better fucking believe it.

Blatter got the African nations onside by giving them loads of money it's as simple as that. Africa has more members then UEFA it's ridiculous. Of course the U.S. didn't win because as soon as Blatter steps on American soil he'll be arrested and that's going back 10 years. Do you think it's a coincidence that F.I.F.A is based in Switzerland making them virtually untouchable. In 2010 the Sunday Times did a cash for votes expose Blatter promises an investigation there isn't one and Russia and Qatar win the bids.

Everyone know's F.I.F.A is a crooked organization but Qatar winning is not hiding in plain sight it's showing just how corrupt they are. Take any person football fan or not and say we are going to hold the biggest sporting occasion in the world where they don't play the game, have no stadiums, and the weather can hit 120 degrees in the Summer they would say don't be stupid or someone's taking a massive backhander.

Phadera Almajid a F.I.F.A. whistleblower in the Qatar bid claims it was a bent bid and noisily says so then retracts her statement paid off perhaps?. The Telegraph exposes that Jack Warner and his family were paid millions by a Qatar company after the World Cup bid the same Jack Warner who was arrested on Thursday. Michael Garcia a lawyer who's report about the bids is blocked by F.I.F.A. (i wonder why?) who then write there own report clearing Russia and Qatar which Garcia says is complete and utter bollocks. Some of the F.I.F.A officials are up on charges including racketeering for fucks sake it's like something from 1920's Chicago.

If your the head of a massive organization of course you know what's going on and who's taking backhanders it's naive of you to think otherwise. It's a ridiculous defence to say he didn't know what's going on every company has a chain of command and the buck always stops with the boss in any walk of life. Finally and i'm going to put my England hat on here we invented the game, we have the biggest league in the world, a league that's watched by billions of people around the world and Qatar has more credible bid then us?. Sour grapes? you better fucking believe it.

That's all true and I agree with most of it but I wonder why you quoted my post as none of the points you make refute or even relate to any of the points I made in my post. Go back and check if you wish.

On that note, I apologize if you got the impression from my post that Blatter was somehow unaware of the corruption, as that was NOT my intention at all and I even said a few times that he was incredibly corrupt.

A couple of questions though about your points:

1) Why in the world is it "ridiculous" that Africa has more votes than UEFA? There are more African nations and hence get more votes, isn't that the basic principle of democracy?

2) I get the impression from your second paragraph that you think that corruption is okay as long as it is not obvious. Why on earth is that?

The funny thing is adidas, mastercard and coke making noises about not wanting to be associated with an organisation if it is proved corrupt.

"If" :D

The case of pot calling the kettle black, isn't it? Lmao.

That's all true and I agree with most of it but I wonder why you quoted my post as none of the points you make refute or even relate to any of the points I made in my post. Go back and check if you wish.

On that note, I apologize if you got the impression from my post that Blatter was somehow unaware of the corruption, as that was NOT my intention at all and I even said a few times that he was incredibly corrupt.

A couple of questions though about your points:

1) Why in the world is it "ridiculous" that Africa has more votes than UEFA? There are more African nations and hence get more votes, isn't that the basic principle of democracy?

2) I get the impression from your second paragraph that you think that corruption is okay as long as it is not obvious. Why on earth is that?

It's ridiculous that Africa gets more votes then U.E.FA. when it has no or very few professional leagues ergo Wales, Ireland (North and South) should only get one vote. The African nations and i'm being completely random here like Kenya, Namibia, Niger etc should get one vote between them. Blatter was hardly being democratic when he went out of his way to curry favour with the smaller nations just to get votes.

What i'm saying in my second paragraph is every single person football fan or not knows that F.I.F.A is utterly corrupt. But they are rubbing people's noses in it by awarding the World Cup to Qatar almost saying '' You know those suspicions you have of us being bent well here's the proof and there's fuck all you can do about it.

I have to say Blatter in the shit storm he's embroiled in his defence is almost like a 14 year old girl's. He's more or less looked sad and said ''Well haters are going to hate''. You said in your original post that there isn't a desire to curb corruption at F.I.F.A.. With the current regime no of course not but when you've got the F.B.I. breathing down your neck there coming under more and more pressure. If there is eventually a change of regime surely it's for the good of football.

It's ridiculous that Africa gets more votes then U.E.FA. when it has no or very few professional leagues ergo Wales, Ireland (North and South) should only get one vote. The African nations and i'm being completely random here like Kenya, Namibia, Niger etc should get one vote between them. Blatter was hardly being democratic when he went out of his way to curry favour with the smaller nations just to get votes.

What i'm saying in my second paragraph is every single person football fan or not knows that F.I.F.A is utterly corrupt. But they are rubbing people's noses in it by awarding the World Cup to Qatar almost saying '' You know those suspicions you have of us being bent well here's the proof and there's fuck all you can do about it.

I have to say Blatter in the shit storm he's embroiled in his defence is almost like a 14 year old girl's. He's more or less looked sad and said ''Well haters are going to hate''. You said in your original post that there isn't a desire to curb corruption at F.I.F.A.. With the current regime no of course not but when you've got the F.B.I. breathing down your neck there coming under more and more pressure. If there is eventually a change of regime surely it's for the good of football.

On the first point, it's a very dangerous game when you start giving people's (or in this case nations') votes different weights based on 'quality' as it can be extremely subjective and will almost inevitably to domination and more misuse of power and corruption. Obviously Blatter did not do it for the right reasons but for the long run this is without a doubt the best system going forward. Football is a global game and the Africans playing barefooted on the streets have every right as the billionaires of the EPL to decide the course for the future of the game.

As for the second point, I personally don't care about aesthetics, FIFA was corrupt well before the Qatar WC and is still so. Obvious corruption is just as wrong as non-obvious corruption in principle. In practice non-obvious corruption is more dangerous and thus worse than obvious corruption.

Blatter has no response to the mostly correct accusations, so his attitude towards it is pretty much the only one he could take right now.

On the first point, it's a very dangerous game when you start giving people's (or in this case nations') votes different weights based on 'quality' as it can be extremely subjective and will almost inevitably to domination and more misuse of power and corruption. Obviously Blatter did not do it for the right reasons but for the long run this is without a doubt the best system going forward. Football is a global game and the Africans playing barefooted on the streets have every right as the billionaires of the EPL to decide the course for the future of the game.

As for the second point, I personally don't care about aesthetics, FIFA was corrupt well before the Qatar WC and is still so. Obvious corruption is just as wrong as non-obvious corruption in principle. In practice non-obvious corruption is more dangerous and thus worse than obvious corruption.

Blatter has no response to the mostly correct accusations, so his attitude towards it is pretty much the only one he could take right now.

Agreed it's extremely subjective but to say it will make things even more corrupt is as well. Football might be a global game now but that's not always been the case football's roots are Europe and South America. The example of the bare footed African against a billionaire footballer is one that's hard to argue against but it's never the twain shall meet.

Agreed it's extremely subjective but to say it will make things even more corrupt is as well. Football might be a global game now but that's not always been the case football's roots are Europe and South America. The example of the bare footed African against a billionaire footballer is one that's hard to argue against but it's never the twain shall meet.

The problem in those African countries is that the majority are rife with corruption already. Barefoot kids playing in the streets, but ruled over by generals and despots with palaces and gold Rolls Royces-just the sort of people Blatter and FIFA like to do business with. So the bottom line there isnt a level playing field globally in terms of nations that are democratic or despotic.

The constant obvious state/people ignored by FIFA is Palestine. Players are forbidden to travel by Israel, even shot at, yet Israeli teams can play in Europe