Raphael Varane

Sidzeret

Also, I know it's probably nothing but he speaks fluent English more or less, and so if he came to England he could settle in quickly.

Hasn't Zidane left Madrid as assistant coach now anyway? I read that he is now in charge of their reserves or youth or something

But I'm sure Jose would know about his release clause and Madrid might need to sell in order to fund their transfers this year.. Kroos more or less done, but they have been linked with James, Falcao etc

Yes but Zidane will still remain an influential figure at Madrid, even if it's just to make a phone call to a prospective target.

& yes, Madrid have been linked to all these attacking players. But they're not going to let go of a their best young defender yet, he's still only 19/20 isn't he? Either way it will take big money to lure him & after signing Zouma you wonder if that's worth the punt.. yet.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step too far this IMO. Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic and Zouma can fill the central area. If Zouma goes out that is the only way I see this possibly happening.

Personally want to see Zouma remain and get game time.

I would love to see Zouma get some games too but if loaning him out for a year only for him to return once Terry's finished is what it takes to land Varane, my only question is where do we sign? Even if players like Zouma and Kalas were to be ready to really make the step up in the near future we're going to be needing some new CBs in a year or two anyway as Terry and Ivanovic are both on the wrong side of 30 and I consider Varane to be the best U23 centre-back at the moment so getting him would be huge. If he really were to decide this summer that he wants to leave Real Madrid, we simply must get him because otherwise he'd probably go to Manchester United who are 100% to be after a central defender with Ferdinand and Vidic gone.

That being said, at the moment I can't see it happening. These things can change quickly in football though.

I would love to see Zouma get some games too but if loaning him out for a year only for him to return once Terry's finished is what it takes to land Varane, my only question is where do we sign? Even if players like Zouma and Kalas were to be ready to really make the step up in the near future we're going to be needing some new CBs in a year or two anyway as Terry and Ivanovic are both on the wrong side of 30 and I consider Varane to be the best U23 centre-back at the moment so getting him would be huge. If he really were to decide this summer that he wants to leave Real Madrid, we simply must get him because otherwise he'd probably go to Manchester United who are 100% to be after a central defender with Ferdinand and Vidic gone.

That being said, at the moment I can't see it happening. These things can change quickly in football though.

You're right. Planning life after Terry, Iva & Cahill has to begin now and players like Zouma, Kalas & Aké are already available to begin their intergration/training into making that step up. But when you're spending a sum of, I'd imagine to be, £20-30m on an u23 year old when we have Zouma, Kalas & Aké it sends the wrong messsage entirely and these youth players will engineer moves away.

You're right. Planning life after Terry, Iva & Cahill has to begin now and players like Zouma, Kalas & Aké are already available to begin their intergration/training into making that step up. But when you're spending a sum of, I'd imagine to be, £20-30m on an u23 year old when we have Zouma, Kalas & Aké it sends the wrong messsage entirely and these youth players will engineer moves away.

Exactly

Don't know about you but I'd sleep much easier if we had at least one proven yet still young player like Varane in case the others fail to live up to expectations. There's more than enough time for some of our current youngsters (Zouma, Kalas, Aké, Omeruo, Christensen) to make the step up within the next couple of years because either way there will still be at least a couple of openings in the squad once Terry and Ivanovic are gone but a chance to buy someone of Varane's class doesn't come by every day.

I don't think we should be going all out to sign him this summer because for this season we should be fine with Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic and Zouma but what I'm saying is that we should at least be monitoring Varane's situation at Real Madrid closely and on the off chance he really asks for a move we should get him because within a year or two we'd be in a situation where we need someone like him anyway and at the time there might not be anyone as good available and we'd just have let Varane go to someone like United. If he's happy to stay for now, we shouldn't even consider making a bid and just continue with our current bunch of defenders while still having an eye on this guy in case his situation changes by next summer.

I don't think we should be going all out to sign him this summer because for this season we should be fine with Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic and Zouma but what I'm saying is that we should at least be monitoring Varane's situation at Real Madrid

Of course, but I really would like to see us have the balls to say to Zouma….."It's your time son"

Don't know about you but I'd sleep much easier if we had at least one proven yet still young player like Varane in case the others fail to live up to expectations. There's more than enough time for some of our current youngsters (Zouma, Kalas, Aké, Omeruo, Christensen) to make the step up within the next couple of years because either way there will still be at least a couple of openings in the squad once Terry and Ivanovic are gone but a chance to buy someone of Varane's class doesn't come by every day.

I don't think we should be going all out to sign him this summer because for this season we should be fine with Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic and Zouma but what I'm saying is that we should at least be monitoring Varane's situation at Real Madrid closely and on the off chance he really asks for a move we should get him because within a year or two we'd be in a situation where we need someone like him anyway and at the time there might not be anyone as good available and we'd just have let Varane go to someone like United. If he's happy to stay for now, we shouldn't even consider making a bid and just continue with our current bunch of defenders while still having an eye on this guy in case his situation changes by next summer.

Of course, but I really would like to see us have the balls to say to Zouma….."It's your time son"

Agreed Jype, but I agree with Special Juan too. Varane will be a shoe in ahead of him, solely because he's going to cost as much as he will (not that I'm discrediting Varane's talent). There's no way we'd sign Varane and Zouma or Kalas would be given a fair chance in comparison. You can argue that Varane did earn his stripes already in France and at Madrid, but what if Zouma is our Varane already but we just never knew because the fair chance never came?

I think for this season we're actually well covered at centre back. Terry and Cahill will start with Ivanovic as a back up, for this seasona alone it works because JT is not suffering any fatigue. That's why it's the perfect season to have Zouma/Kalas (now probably the former) to be our 4th CB that will make the last 10-15minutes of already dead games. Ivanovic would provide essential cover, of course, but Zouma to close out a game aside JT/Cahill would be ideal.

+ Omeruo

Rightly or wrongly that's the nature of the beast at the top level. If Messi became avalible in 2008 (when he was 21) and made it clear he wanted to leave Barca and only had eyes for Chelsea should the club have said no thankyou we have Kakuta and Stoch?

If Madrid are stupid enough to let this lad go, and we can afford him, then we should sign now and ask questions later.

Well as much as I think it will be difficult to sign Varane, one thing that's for sure though, we're clearly on top in his list if he ever want to leave from RM, as long as Jose still in charge.

"Many inferring that Varane is unhappy with his current deal - and wants a significant boost in his £25,000 a week wages."

Varane gets only £25k a week at Real Madrid? That's pretty fucked up when we think about how much all the other first teamers are earning.

Anyway, think he'll get a new contract soon enough and our name is just being used as a leverage to get as much money as possible. Would love to be proven wrong though.

£25k a week for Varane is a criminal

When he signed that contract he was an 18 year old and was a 4th choice CB at the club. He signed a 6 year contract, Real are not going to renew until next season at the very least.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You