Jan Vertonghen

Viper22

Might seem like a bit of an odd one, but I read this today:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9183193/jan-vertonghen-hints-at-exit-if-tottenham-fail-to-qualify-for-champions-league

To be honest that sounds to me (reading between the lines a tad) like he's pretty much decided that he wants to play in the UCL (and really, who can blame him) and will want to be leaving Spurs if they don't give it to him.

I know he's at a rival but I don't really see that being an issue, I mean look at how good Ash has been for us over the years. Providing we could beat other teams to it I think he'd be a great signing.

He's 26, Belgian (always a good thing), has over 50 caps internationally which is excellent experience and over 50 caps in Europe too which is pretty good also. I've always been a fan of his, only time I had a problem was when he had that scuffle with Torres but Torres was as much at fault in that too and i'm sure I can forgive it.

Just thinking; Luiz polarizes opinion from a lot of people as a CB, and with Terry coming to the end of his career and Zouma too young and inexperienced for us to completely rely on him as a starter, maybe Jan would be an excellent addition to play alongside Gary for next season?

I mean we could then have Cahill and Vertonghen starting next season and Terry as a squad player in case of injuries. Zouma could then be our 4th choice for that season and replace Terry at the end. Think about all that experience Kurt would gain from those 3 cracking defenders!!

So what does everyone think? Anyone have any reservations about him?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might seem like a bit of an odd one, but I read this today:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9183193/jan-vertonghen-hints-at-exit-if-tottenham-fail-to-qualify-for-champions-league

To be honest that sounds to me (reading between the lines a tad) like he's pretty much decided that he wants to play in the UCL (and really, who can blame him) and will want to be leaving Spurs if they don't give it to him.

I know he's at a rival but I don't really see that being an issue, I mean look at how good Ash has been for us over the years. Providing we could beat other teams to it I think he'd be a great signing.

He's 26, Belgian (always a good thing), has over 50 caps internationally which is excellent experience and over 50 caps in Europe too which is pretty good also. I've always been a fan of his, only time I had a problem was when he had that scuffle with Torres but Torres was as much at fault in that too and i'm sure I can forgive it.

Just thinking; Luiz polarizes opinion from a lot of people as a CB, and with Terry coming to the end of his career and Zouma too young and inexperienced for us to completely rely on him as a starter, maybe Jan would be an excellent addition to play alongside Gary for next season?

I mean we could then have Cahill and Vertonghen starting next season and Terry as a squad player in case of injuries. Zouma could then be our 4th choice for that season and replace Terry at the end. Think about all that experience Kurt would gain from those 3 cracking defenders!!

The general concensus here afaik is that he's overrated, I'd gladly have him here though.

He is good but really doubt that JT will be our 3RD CB next season. Still england's no.1. :)

He is good and versatile. But doubt any sane deal between us and tottenham can go thru after what they did with modrix and what we did with willian. Will have topay OTT for him aand that makes it a no-no

Considering Liverpool's problems with defending and their defenders, getting the impression that there is more of a chance Vertonghen heading there than us.

On the funnier side, will be hilarious to see Spurs fans react if he joins us.

We've got Omoreu, Kalas, and Zouma, we don't need Vertonghen. He is a good all round footballer CB - Left Back but not great

the point is that can any of thoae 3 be the 3rd choice CB in a team challenging for PL the next season. I aeriously doubt that.

Kenneth not good enough.

Kalas - considering he has got less than 10 minutea of playtime this season, don't see hin being anywhere closeto 3rd CB.

ZOuma- young, no Pl experience aand making hin 3rd choixe woulf be risky.

(All this is considering DL is sold, which is looking very likely at tge moment).

He seems to be a perfect player for.....qpha....I don't want this short grapping, hacking defender anywhere near our side. I rather give our Youth a Chance over this bum. I am glad he is at spuds

article-2430531-183C137E00000578-644_634

I thought the same yesterday when watching Norwich vs Tottenham. Can't say he is a world-class defender, but I think he offers much more at CB than David Luiz, plus he can play LB too. JT won't be here for long and be sure Jose won't replace him with Zouma, Kalas and Omeruo in the next season. Those kids need some time with the team before jumping into the starting eleven. Thumbs up for this move (although I don't know if Jose is even considering bringing Verthongen here) - decent CB and a transfer that would infuriate Spurs fans knowing he is one of their favourite players.

It's no secret that I really like this player (oh this Belgian generation is just :wub: ) and I keep telling my best friend who is a Spurs fan that Verts is the player I would happily take from them and a player I envy that they have.

He would be good if the club had a different plan. I think the defense can suffice without the addition of a 26-28 year old defender. If we weren't so hell bent on making a team that will last for '10 years' he could work but for his cost he's just not worth it in the progression of this team. A leftback would be far more important and that would leave Ivanovic more chances to appear in the middle for days where Zouma isn't ready. If we are going to sign a new CB Id rather us not deal with a rival as we will always get a bad deal. It would be far more valuable to go in for Varane. With all the youth we have sitting around it would be wasteful to go for Varane but still a winning strategy.

The first thing i'll say is that, despite his age, no one is pushing JT out of the team in the near future. He's our number 1. The way he's playing there is no way he'll be 3rd choice next year.

The only scenario I could see this happening is if Luiz was sold. But even still, I don't think José rates him judging from his comments about him after the Spurs game. I would take him, but for no more than Spurs paid and there's no way we'd get him for that price with that bitter wanker Levy there.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You