No.10 Role

Jase

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mata's goalscoring record since joining has been brilliant since joining us. Despite not hitting the net yet he is probably the best scoring attacker in our attacking midfield. Mata got around 20 goals last season.

I think there is more to this than just the statistic... I see Mata miss chances more often than Oscar..

Last season, he play more than Oscar and he is the main person. Now this is not the case, so Oscar should be getting many more chances to score goals... and in this case, I think Oscar is better in shooting.

After watching oscar for brasil today i think Mata should be No.10 and Oscar No.9. No more debate?

at least we wouldn't keep reading and listening media say our strikers are still zero'd on EPL :lol:

He played as a false 9 from what I gathered people talking. didn't watch it

Don't think Jose is THAT 'innovative' to play a 'False 9'..

The false 9 is probably the most over-rated term in football, Barca make it work because they have a footballing freak playing that role. It can look good on occasion's, but more often that not is far, far to easy to defend against, the main example is the Spain vs Italy group stage match at the Euro 2012, the first 60 minutes Spain didn't look like scoring, Italy were ridiculously comfortable.

I'd say drop Oscar deep into Lampard's role next season and let him and Mata alternate as a #10 when the other needs a break, while Van Ginkel grows as a player subbing in and relieving Oscar at times next season. Of course there's the chance Mata could force a transfer in January and lessen the traffic jam in midfield. Whoever masterminded acquiring both Oscar and Mata should have their head examined. Neither one of them work out on the right to make the "mazacar" experiment work, it just weakens them defensively and becomes too narrow in attack and easy for opponents to defend.

I watched the match (up until he played) because I was curious to see how Felipão would do it as he's even more traditionalist than Mourinho.

Who says he played Oscar as a striker or as a false nine definitely smoked spoiled junk.

It was the same 4-3-3 he used most of CC with Oscar as the most advanced midfielder - although some people will say that's a 4-2-3-1 with Oscar as a #10. Oscar is top3 finisher in the squad in my opinion, his finish is really, really, really good although sometimes he thinks too much before executing it (normally easier chances), so he could be used as the player behind the striker a few times if we need as I think his finishing is up there with Mata's.

As for the false 9 thing I said it before, I'll repeat it. It doesn't work with anyone else not named Messi.

I watched the match (up until he played) because I was curious to see how Felipão would do it as he's even more traditionalist than Mourinho.

Who says he played Oscar as a striker or as a false nine definitely smoked spoiled junk.

It was the same 4-3-3 he used most of CC with Oscar as the most advanced midfielder - although some people will say that's a 4-2-3-1 with Oscar as a #10. Oscar is top3 finisher in the squad in my opinion, his finish is really, really, really good although sometimes he thinks too much before executing it (normally easier chances), so he could be used as the player behind the striker a few times if we need as I think his finishing is up there with Mata's.

As for the false 9 thing I said it before, I'll repeat it. It doesn't work with anyone else not named Messi.

messi plays as a number 9 with freedom to roam

Can we just close this thread and agree to never create another 'X Vs. Y' thread ever again? Besides from us all knowing now what the reasoning behind it all is and the fact that Mata is back in the team, the wording seemed to force people to takes sides which created more conflict than necessary.

Now all the majority of people seem to do in here is keep saying the same thing over and over. If I have to read 'Mata is more creative' or 'Oscar works harder' one more time....

Can we just close this thread and agree to never create another 'X Vs. Y' thread ever again? Besides from us all knowing now what the reasoning behind it all is and the fact that Mata is back in the team, the wording seemed to force people to takes sides which created more conflict than necessary.

Now all the majority of people seem to do in here is keep saying the same thing over and over. If I have to read 'Mata is more creative' or 'Oscar works harder' one more time....

I take your point. Hence, I've renamed the thread to basically a 'No.10' role discussion that can obviously involve more than just Mata or Oscar..

However, the closing thread part is no-no IMO. The phrasing of 'Mata v Oscar' might be wrong but it was nothing more than to generate a discussion/debate, a healthy discussion/debate at that. It doesn't force people to take the sides. It's just that we all have our own opinion of who's better in that role. Otherwise, we should just close every discussion threads out there...And conflict or verbal fights only happen because people want to have it..