Footballers are people too!

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

Hm. Still making my mind up about whether I want to comment on this or not. I guess I will.

Being foreign, something might have been lost in translation or perhaps he misspoke due to not fully grasping the English language yet, but surely it wasn't proper depression? As anyone who's had or does have depression will attest to, depression is very complex and it's rare that you only have it for such a short time like Cabaye claims.

I know plenty of people just throw the word around in such contexts as: "Argh, so much homework to do, I'm literally depressed :(" (these are usually 15 year old girls on Twitter) and the likes, so perhaps & even hopefully that's the sort of thing he meant.

I've noticed that in English the word 'depressed' is often used as 'feeling down', not medically depressed.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bitter self? I have zero sympathy for this man, none.

This man has been the source, the key root in our demise these past couple of seasons as well as the sacking of two brilliant.managers. Was Lampard moping when he was benched and showed a poor mentality of form? Did Drogba when he was replaced by Torres? No, they worked on their ability and proved themselves on the pitch which has justified their beautiful club recognition. Torres, instead, continues to provide the weakest mentality football history has ever witnessed and it has been more than clear that he himself can fix this problem if he is to save his career, and it is most certainly not going to happen here. What he has done to this club has cost us server demise, not to mention his openly stated comments that he didn't care whether we won or lost when true professionals IE Lamps and Drogs try to improve their ability when some of their other attributes are diminished.

He is the sole reason to his mental block of form, one of the likes I've seen. While this man is getting paid millions to be shit, literally leeching out from this club. we continue to support him in the highest amount on the pitch, when it is truly unjustified. Just the thought of his old self returning still brings fans to adore him, when in reality, he's long gone.

He needs to leave not for the better of this club, but for himself as I truly hope for the best when he does depart.

So Tell me, AM I FUCKING BITTER?

LOL...

Never answered my question, who do you support?

South Korea

I love watching Brazil since 2002

Real Madrid (see below)

Chelsea (however, if Mou comes, I'm not sure I can support a Mou team)

I've noticed that in English the word 'depressed' is often used as 'feeling down', not medically depressed.

That's only by lazy and ignorant people that don't understand what it's like.

Every topic evolves into a debate about Torres. I've said it before I'll say it agian.

Depression is for weak persons, I live in Algeria, I know what it is to live in a shitty place around idiot people , living in a city full of clueless, hypocrite and disgusting people, where its is almost impossible to work fairly and honeslty.But I'm not depressed, my family are not depressed of this shitty life.I cant understand how people, footballers, can.

This man has been the source, the key root in our demise these past couple of seasons as well as the sacking of two brilliant.managers. Was Lampard moping when he was benched and showed a poor mentality of form? Did Drogba when he was replaced by Torres? No, they worked on their ability and proved themselves on the pitch which has justified their beautiful club recognition. Torres, instead, continues to provide the weakest mentality football history has ever witnessed and it has been more than clear that he himself must fix this problem if he is to save his career, and it is most certainly not going to happen here. What he has done to this club has cost us drastic demise, not to mention his openly stated comments that he didn't care whether we won or lost when true professionals IE Lamps and Drogs try to improve their ability when some of their other attributes are diminished.

He is the sole reason to his mental block of form, one of the likes I've never seen. While this man is getting paid millions to be shit, literally leeching from this club, we continue to support him in the highest amount on the pitch, when it is truly unjustified. Just the thought of his old self returning still brings fans to adore him, when in reality, he's long gone.

He needs to leave not for the better of this club, but for himself as I truly hope for the best when he does depart.

Didn't Lampard (with a few others) get AVB fired? (maybe it was cause he didn't play torres too) Lampard to me never really changed his game at all, he never adapted. He always had a good shot and a powerful one as well.

I agree with Drogba though, he worked his behind off to make Chelsea run and sacrificed a whole lot.

(Also, I always wonder what the overall impression of Chelsea fans would of been to Drogba had MEssi or Robben scored their pks...)

I don't really get how you can say Torres cause Chelsea demise. Chelsea won Champs league and a fa cup during that time. That the same as Man city, one more than Man U and two more than both Arsenal and Tott. It might of not been cause of Torres, however, I really don't get the whole demise statement.

That's only by lazy and ignorant people that don't understand what it's like.

Every topic evolves into a debate about Torres. I've said it before I'll say it agian.

A word like depressed can simply mean down as in a lever is depressed/

Depression can be a meteorlogical term

It is not lazy to complain about feeling depressed ,,,It is a common feeling quite distinct from Clinical Depression.

One only needs to look at the context that the word is used in .

Depression is for weak persons, I live in Algeria, I know what it is to live in a shitty place around idiot people , living in a city full of clueless, hypocrite and disgusting people, where its is almost impossible to work fairly and honeslty.But I'm not depressed, my family are not depressed of this shitty life.I cant understand how people, footballers, can.

That is a wonderfully naive view that you're lucky to have. Don't ever let reality sully your innocence.

Que pasa?

The idea that money is a salve that alleviates individual suffering is a laughable notion.

Torres is not my favourite person but it's clear to see he has lost something physically, and he's simply been unable to recapture it or restructure his game to play at the same level he once did. That then led to what I believe are mental issues - golfers call it the yips but it's not as simple as blaming the person suffering from it.

I've been guilty of deriding him when he has fucked up, but in the cold light of day I actually pity the guy. He's a sportsman - he didn't get where he was without a competitive instinct and no amount of money can replace the feeling of being at the top of your game.

You say he is the 'sole reason to his mental block of form' and I simply don't agree. It's not a choice anyone makes, and some people simply can't handle certain situations as well as others. That doesn't make them bad humans, it just means they're wired differently. Hopefully people like Cabaye being honest about the pressures they face will make people understand these issues better rather than dismissing them out of hand.

I agree to some extent. Some people are weak. Some people makes excuses.

However, saying depression is only for weak people might be a tad harsh.

One thing I learned living in NYC is, even rich people have problems... They might not be the same as people living in Algeria, however, they are problems as well,,,,

This man has been the source, the key root in our demise these past couple of seasons as well as the sacking of two brilliant.managers. Was Lampard moping when he was benched and showed a poor mentality of form? Did Drogba when he was replaced by Torres? No, they worked on their ability and proved themselves on the pitch which has justified their beautiful club recognition. Torres, instead, continues to provide the weakest mentality football history has ever witnessed and it has been more than clear that he himself must fix this problem if he is to save his career, and it is most certainly not going to happen here. What he has done to this club has cost us drastic demise, not to mention his openly stated comments that he didn't care whether we won or lost when true professionals IE Lamps and Drogs try to improve their ability when some of their other attributes are diminished.

He is the sole reason to his mental block of form, one of the likes I've never seen. While this man is getting paid millions to be shit, literally leeching from this club, we continue to support him in the highest amount on the pitch, when it is truly unjustified. Just the thought of his old self returning still brings fans to adore him, when in reality, he's long gone.

Really? You want me to answer that? A bit rhetorical to be fair. :P

You're wrong about Torres being the only fault in this club, can't even see the link how one man can ruin a football club by his own. You're a hypocrite for praising the veteran players like they were angels throughout their career, especially when it comes to managers.

You are a psychologist, no? I gathered that from small snippets at the pub. What do you really think about him? I see a man that's uncomfortable in his own skin, one that can't wait to get home and spend time with his close friends and family. He doesn't look all that happy, especially with himself.

Well, this guy shows every sign of a clinical depression. This is NOT because he is weak, lazy, overpaid, etc. Quite the contrary, being so heavily paid and bearing the burden of his transfer fee can cause this kind of state, especially if you can count in the injuries at the time of the transfer here and the media pressure. Btw, research clearly indicates that 'pay per performance' or bonuses are the worst motivator and have the opposite effect on performance.

I do want to debate this, but only on evidence based research. I do NOT think he is weak, but he probably has personality characteristics that make him prone for depression. Weakness has nothing to do with it. If you want evidence for this, I will back this statement up with hard data. Thinking depression is for the weak is an ideological conclusion, not factual.

Ps: one of the results of a true clinical depression is a strong decline in performance. Combine this with the very high standards his transfer has set + his loss of pace. This all resultsin an inevitable increase in 'depression' resulting in even worse performances. It is a spiral that is very hard to get out of. Some drugs work - but then again are not allowed for sporters ...

Catch 22 to the max , it seems. I feel sorry for Torres. I really do, even though I have wished him to hell myself for letting us down. I think it is unwise policy that made us hate him. Torres himself, I see as a sad spectator in his own bad show.

If I were his shrink, i'd tell him to bail. Go back to Madrid for a small fee with low wages (to mnimize the expectncy level) and he might be a good(not great - injuries remember) player again.

My 2 cents!

That is a wonderfully naive view that you're lucky to have. Don't ever let reality sully your innocence.

Wise words to be fair, I also think that of me !

I'm very luck person, I'm happy with what I have, I appreciate every second of my life, maybe because i'm muslim, but i'm an optimistic person too, life is never easy, I can understand that, but we can turn it around, and surely footballers can !

I agree to some extent. Some people are weak. Some people makes excuses.

However, saying depression is only for weak people might be a tad harsh.

One thing I learned living in NYC is, even rich people have problems... They might not be the same as people living in Algeria, however, they are problems as well,,,,

Problems are part of life, we just must not lose our main objective, to be happy.We must be strong, accept, encase, and do the best in our work, at home, everywhere to be a better person.I'm not perfect, but my view of life is different that yours.As i already said, I'm muslim.

You say he is the 'sole reason to his mental block of form' and I simply don't agree. It's not a choice anyone makes, and some people simply can't handle certain situations as well as others. That doesn't make them bad humans, it just means they're wired differently. Hopefully people like Cabaye being honest about the pressures they face will make people understand these issues better rather than dismissing them out of hand.

'At times I didn't care whether we won or lost.' That to me should have been a prime indicator to put him on the next flight out of here. Players lose their attributes over time, whether it is pace, vision, finishing ability, or plain tactical awareness. What makes players, top Players, is even when they have those attributes diminished, they work on other areas that can improve their overall game. Torres, made ZERO effort to improve in any area and has easily gotten worse as each game passes. It's unbelievable. Considering on the amount of money we are paying him every week and the fact he is representing us as European Champions, he gives us this? As I stated, Literally, "LEECHING' from this club.

He is a weak character and contains a weak mentality unlike the players I mentioned previously. He cannot benefit this club anymore, If he ever has, nor himself and as I stated in order to save what ever is left of his career, needs to go.

Really? You want me to answer that? A bit rhetorical to be fair. :P

You're wrong about Torres being the only fault in this club, can't even see the link how one man can ruin a football club by his own. You're a hypocrite for praising the veteran players like they were angels throughout their career, especially when it comes to managers.

One of the sole reasons. Roman and few members of the board easily take the cake on this.

Hypocracy on this matter? In what ways?

That I praised Lampard and Drogba that even though at times they were shit, they worked on other areas of their game and contributed highly to this club with great recognition whereas Torres offered us absolutely fuck all?