Jack Butland

BlueLion.

Sky Sports understands Chelsea have made an approach for Birmingham City goalkeeper Jack Butland.

Butland's future has been the subject of intense speculation during this month's transfer window with a host of clubs chasing his signature.

The likes of Liverpool,spacer.gifEverton,spacer.gifNewcastlespacer.gif and Southamptonspacer.gifhave all been credited with an interest in Butland, but Chelseaspacer.gifhave now jumped to the front of the queue for the keeper.

Birmingham boss Lee Clark has admitted that they could be forced to sell Butland due to their ongoing financial concerns.

Despite having Petr Cechspacer.gif as No.1 and Belgian youngster Thibaut Courtois impressing on loan atAtletico Madrid,spacer.gif Chelsea see Butland as a long-term investment.

It remains to be seen if Butland would make the move to Stamford Bridge as he is thought to be keen on moving to a club where he will be playing regular first-team football.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8452057/

Also being reported by:

The Mirror

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only believe courtoius is being sold,

FFP wins

He probably is, but not because of ffp but because he doens't want to sit on the bench for 5 years which is fair enough. I just hope if he does go we at least get falcao coming back the other way.

If this is true, it's stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, a thousand times stupid, for a number of reasons:

1. He's not needed, as we have Courtois.

2. Blackman isn't a bad backup, especially in comparison to the likes of Hilario.

3. I don't think he wants to sit on the bench and become Ross Turnbull.

4. If this even hints at the idea of having Courtois as part of the Falcao deal, our board is officially the worse board in the world because (a) they haven't learned that big money signings like Torres don't always guarantee immediate success and (b ) they can't see that Courtois has the potential to be our keeper for the next 15+ years.

I'd rather have Courtois, Ba and anyone except Torres up front (Cavani?), than Ba, Falcao and no Courtois.

5. Of all signings to make in January, of all positions, they want a GK?

Is it Michael Emenalo who is suggesting these signings? Is this the guy who thought if we have every no. 10 in the world, we'd play like Barca? Is this the same guy who has such credentials on his C.V. as coaching a little girls football team? Don't people like him need supervision with safety scissors?

If he's actually going to cost £3 million, then I can't see why the club wouldn't sign him. He's at least half the price he should be, he's young, he's English and he's better than Turnball who is utter shit.

If Courtois actually is going on loan to a Premier League team then I'm not that worried about this transfer impacting him.

Hilario and Turnball are both out of contract in the summer I believe so that would mean us having Cech as number one and Butland and Blackman fighting it out for back-up.

The only person this doesn't make sense for is Butland. But if he's happy to come and not be guaranteed first-team football then why wouldn't we go for him?

Don't really care. It's the problem with backup keepers in general. If they are any good, they'll want to play instead of riding the bench and you don't really want to spend money on someone who will play 5 fairly unimportant games a year. At the same time, you never know when you'll need him to play a big role. It's hard for any player to stay on their game and virtually impossible to improve, if they never play. If it's 3M for Butland, it's a fine buy, but don't understand why Butland would want to go to Chelsea.

It would honestly make me sick if we part ways with Courtois. Will be the best keeper in the world soon. The absolute ONLY way I could accept it is if Falcao was involved.

We simply cannot let him go.

Even if the offer is accepted does not mean that he will join us. As the article says he will not be no.1 here for a few years if he comes. If he joins Southampton he probably would be their no.1. Possible Liverpool too, if Reina leaves. Doubt he will join here to play back up role.

Highly doubt this would have any impact on Courtois' situation at all. The club know what they have got with Thibaut.

I didn't realise Turnbull's contract was up in the summer, so I can see this making sense from our point of view, although, as some have already said, not from Butland's.