UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

Said this in the Schalke match thread but thought it belonged here more:

I love seeing Arsenal loose like the next Chelsea fan, but I don't get why everyone want them out of the CL.

First, them losing does no favors what so ever for the EUFA index of the EPL. Despite us winning it two back to back European trophies, English teams have been doing too well in Europe lately. In 11-12, both Manchester clubs went out from the group stages and we were the only English team in the quarter finals. Last season both we and City exited from the groups stages and no English team made it to the semis. A couple of seasons with no one making it past the quarter finals and the EPL could lose a CL place to Italy or even France.

Secondly, and more importantly, the more Arsenal are occupied in the CL the more chance they'll have of dropping points in the league. We don't want them to have much less midweek games than us towards the business end of the season. We all know if they end up in Europa, Wenger would most likely play his U21s and get knocked out from the first or second round. The longer they go in the CL, the better for us. Plus, I would honestly rather play Arsenal in the quarter finals or semis (if we reach them) than Dortmund or Napoli.

• 2 weeks later...

Said this in the Schalke match thread but thought it belonged here more:

I love seeing Arsenal loose like the next Chelsea fan, but I don't get why everyone want them out of the CL.

First, them losing does no favors what so ever for the EUFA index of the EPL. Despite us winning it two back to back European trophies, English teams have been doing too well in Europe lately. In 11-12, both Manchester clubs went out from the group stages and we were the only English team in the quarter finals. Last season both we and City exited from the groups stages and no English team made it to the semis. A couple of seasons with no one making it past the quarter finals and the EPL could lose a CL place to Italy or even France.

Secondly, and more importantly, the more Arsenal are occupied in the CL the more chance they'll have of dropping points in the league. We don't want them to have much less midweek games than us towards the business end of the season. We all know if they end up in Europa, Wenger would most likely play his U21s and get knocked out from the first or second round. The longer they go in the CL, the better for us. Plus, I would honestly rather play Arsenal in the quarter finals or semis (if we reach them) than Dortmund or Napoli.

May I point to some Arsenal fans, see some of their postings, everywhere. Just despicable cunts, compared to manure ones.

I agree with the thought, the longer these PL clubs are in CL, the better for Chelsea, more games to be played by them.

Chelsea do not or should not worry about their oppositions. Eventually, they will play against stronger oppositions.

Dan Roan ‏@danroan 13m

Confirmed: BT Sport deal to show Champions / Europa League exclusively - worth around £900m for 3 seasons from 2015 compared to current £400m

Interesting. That's more then double and makes champions League every year more vital.

With that amount of money maybe Wenger is right. That finishing top 4 is like winning a trophy because of all the money you are getting.

And it will also go up more when international also agree new deals. Central and South America don't make much money but USA yes. Right now they have fox sports broadcasting but with bein taking a lot of the leagues in the world and nbc sports taking premier League then I expect one of these two to get it next.

• 3 weeks later...

The Round of16 looks terrifying tbh. 10-11 good teams in there

No chance - Bayern, Barca, Real,

Tricky - ManC, ManU, Arsenal, Juventus, Dortmund, Atletico, PSG, Zenit,

Manageable - Schalke, Milan, Leverkusen, Benfica

Can this team grind out results? that's the question. The players will almost definitely bottle it this year I think

The Round of16 looks terrifying tbh. 10-11 good teams in there

No chance - Bayern, Barca, Real,

Tricky - ManC, ManU, Arsenal, Juventus, Dortmund, Atletico, PSG, Zenit,

Manageable - Schalke, Milan, Leverkusen, Benfica

Can this team grind out results? that's the question. The players will almost definitely bottle it this year I think

Teams can't face the team from the same group as them in the Last 16. So Schalke or Basel is out of the question for us.

And looking at the teams there, we definitely need to win against Steaua and (please!) don't mess things up then. Otherwise, we risk facing Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid or even Atletico Madrid in the Last 16!

Teams can't face the team from the same group as them in the Last 16. So Schalke or Basel is out of the question for us.

And looking at the teams there, we definitely need to win against Steaua and (please!) don't mess things up then. Otherwise, we risk facing Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid or even Atletico Madrid in the Last 16!

if chelsea finishes 2nd in the group, it's a guaranteed tough draw. Real, PSG, Bayern, Atletico or Barca. that will be the end then

if chelsea finishes 2nd in the group, it's a guaranteed tough draw. Real, PSG, Bayern, Atletico or Barca. that will be the end then

If we can't even beat a Steaua side who have nothing to play already at HOME, then we do deserve to finish second in the group and get the likes of Barca, Bayern, Real or Atletico Madrid in the Last 16.

On the subject of facing tough teams, just saw the all group permutations and realized that if City finish second in their group behind Bayern (unless they beat them by 3-0 or a 2-goal margin of 4-2 or more) and all the other English clubs win their group, there are then only 4 possible opponents for City in Last 16 - Real Madrid, PSG, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

On the other hand, it's a similar case with us. If we finish second in the group and Arsenal and United win their group, then our Last 16 opponent will either be Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Barcelona or Atletico Madrid. That is not what we want, certainly not in the last 16 just yet!

On the subject of facing tough teams, just saw the all group permutations and realized that if City finish second in their group behind Bayern (unless they beat them by 3-0 or a 2-goal margin of 4-2 or more) and all the other English clubs win their group, there are then only 4 possible opponents for City in Last 16 - Real Madrid, PSG, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

On the other hand, it's a similar case with us. If we finish second in the group and Arsenal and United win their group, then our Last 16 opponent will either be Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Barcelona or Atletico Madrid. That is not what we want, certainly not in the last 16 just yet!

Yeah. The Champions League is stacked this time around. Must win the group. Only Dortmund and Juve among the group runners-up that I'd worry about