UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

What is it with people on this forum underestimating every team, only to come back livid when the result is not a win.

Did everyone forget that Schalke reached the semi-finals in 2011?

Yeah, I think we're a better team, but don't get carried away so much.

We are not underestimating them, we are just better than them.....;)

What is it with people on this forum underestimating every team, only to come back livid when the result is not a win.

Don't think anyone is really underestimating the other teams or getting carried away. It's just that we are all happy that we got a kinder group this time after the nightmarish one last season with Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk. If you look at the pot seedings during the draw, the 3 teams that we got were arguably the weakest in each of those pot as compared to the other teams in it.

However, do agree with the point you are alluding to in not taking them lightly. Think everyone will be aware of the threat they each pose even if they are not the toughest of opponents. Like you said, Schalke after all did reach the semi finals in 2011 and they last season took 4 points off Arsenal in the group, won at the Emirates and finished top ahead of Arsenal. Though it should be pointed out that they now have a different manager at the helm. And Basel too is a trick opponent. Despite that we saw them off nicely last in the Europa League, one should remember they took 4 points off Man United in the group stage. They came from 2-0 down at OT and led 3-2 till the dying minutes and drew 3-3 before beating them 2-1 in Switzerland which knock them out. They also beat Bayern in the same place later on (though got thrashed 7-0 IIRC in Munich) and not forgetting them eliminating Spurs last season in the Europa League too, even though it was on penalties in the end.

Don't think anyone is really underestimating the other teams or getting carried away. It's just that we are all happy that we got a kinder group this time after the nightmarish one last season with Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk. If you look at the pot seedings during the draw, the 3 teams that we got were arguably the weakest in each of those pot as compared to the other teams in it.

However, do agree with the point you are alluding to in not taking them lightly. Think everyone will be aware of the threat they each pose even if they are not the toughest of opponents. Like you said, Schalke after all did reach the semi finals in 2011 and they last season took 4 points off Arsenal in the group, won at the Emirates and finished top ahead of Arsenal. Though it should be pointed out that they now have a different manager at the helm. And Basel too is a trick opponent. Despite that we saw them off nicely last in the Europa League, one should remember they took 4 points off Man United in the group stage. They came from 2-0 down at OT and led 3-2 till the dying minutes and drew 3-3 before beating them 2-1 in Switzerland which knock them out. They also beat Bayern in the same place later on (though got thrashed 7-0 IIRC in Munich) and not forgetting them eliminating Spurs last season in the Europa League too, even though it was on penalties in the end.

We can take them lightly because I doubt Jose will. Thats the difference. I have full confidence in the fact that Jose will treat each and every one of these games as though they are the most important fixtures we have... I've never seen Jose take it easy in the Champions League.

Head Coach of Steaua, today: "Este foarte important primul joc, atât pentru club, cât şi pentru moralul jucătorilor. Eu ştiu ce jucători am la îndemână şi sunt sigur că vom reuşi să câştigăm şi în acest fel vom demonstra că suntem o echipă puternică. Asta e mentalitatea pe care trebuie să o ai dacă vrei să câştigi ceva în fotbal. Nu pot să îmi propun locul 2! Cum să îmi propun locul 2? Îmi doresc foarte mult să câştigăm primul loc! Noi plecăm la drum de la ideea că vom câştiga grupa."

"The 1st game is very important (against Schalke), for both club and players morale. I know what kind of players I have at my disposal and I'm sure we will win the three points and we will prove we are a strong team. This is the kind of mentality you have to have if you want to win trophies. I can't think of finishing this group in the 2nd place! How can I think about finishing in the 2nd place? I want the 1st place! Our goal is to finish 1st in this group."

:wank2:

I dont care how easy our group looks i am always more excited to watch Chelsea play then any other team! even if Chelsea v Swindon for example was on the same time as Barca v Real or Dortmund v Bayern, i would 100% still watch Chelsea play!

I would, and actually have several times in the past, watch something like Bremen vs Freiburg over Dortmund vs Bayern or Sevilla vs Levante over Madrid vs Barcelona because we have players on loan there, let alone if Chelsea are actually playing!

They reached the semi finals because they where drawn against Inter Milan in the quarters.

Inter Milan declined massively that season, they ended up beating them 5-2 at there own ground. Then Schalke where put to shame by Man United and I mean put to shame, United should've scored about 8 and that's no exaggeration, if it wasn't for the wonder kid sensation that is Manuel Neur they would have been embarrassed that game. Neur saved about 6 one on ones. Then United beat them 4-1 in the 2nd leg whilst playing there B team, Schalke where an embarrassment against United, I have never seen a team fold so easily.

They are better now, they have quality players but we are still capable of beating them. I'm just happy we haven't got a team like Dortmund, PSG, Napoli or Juventus in the group, that's the last thing we would of needed.

Well boys, tonight the CL starts.

Several interesting games are on hand.

One that I love to see is Viktoria Plzen upset Citeh.

Yesterday, on TV I heard several chin-wags by Citeh club. All day buffet, salmon to be served, pitch to be ready when these overpriced a-holes come on...etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday : Galatasaray- Real Madrid

Wednesday: Napoli-Dortmund

is what i'm going to watch

our group is really boring

No offence, what a stupid thing to say if your a chelsea fan. Surley you'd watch the game & Record the others for afterwards?

The 4-0 win in Bucharest was definitely most welcome but on the other hand, am rather worried at the group standings and upcoming fixtures.

1. Schalke - P2 6pts

2. Basel - P2 3pts

3. Chelsea - P2 3pts

4. Steaua - P2 0pts

Matchday 3 fixtures - Schalke v Chelsea; Steaua Bucharest v Basel

We are behind Basel on H2H record and one would imagine them to get 6 points against Steaua, judging by the way they play tonight. Can't afford to screw up against Schalke. Need at least 4 points. Otherwise, we could be in for another nervy scenario like last season or even the one under Scolari where it went down to the wire and needed help from others.

The 4-0 win in Bucharest was definitely most welcome but on the other hand, am rather worried at the group standings and upcoming fixtures.

1. Schalke - P2 6pts

2. Basel - P2 3pts

3. Chelsea - P2 3pts

4. Steaua - P2 0pts

Matchday 3 fixtures - Schalke v Chelsea; Steaua Bucharest v Basel

We are behind Basel on H2H record and one would imagine them to get 6 points against Steaua, judging by the way they play tonight. Can't afford to screw up against Schalke. Need at least 4 points. Otherwise, we could be in for another nervy scenario like last season or even the one under Scolari where it went down to the wire and needed help from others.

We are capable of winning both Schalke fixtures and the other Steaua game we have at home. Also, I believe Steaua can at least draw one against Basel. So I wouldnt be too worried...

We are capable of winning both Schalke fixtures and the other Steaua game we have at home. Also, I believe Steaua can at least draw one against Basel. So I wouldnt be too worried...

We are definitely capable of beating Schalke home and away but the performances are yet to fully convince. We played well in the 2nd half against Spurs and the whole 90 against Steaua. Will be more confident if we can keep this going in the upcoming matches but right now, just not yet. And as for Steaua being able to get a draw against Basel, looking at the way they played yesterday...not getting my hopes up at all. They were rubbish going forward and arguably even more rubbish defensively..